Fox 36 air chamber oil volume?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Fox 36 air chamber oil volume?

Hey Everyone,

Just looking for a sanity check here. I'm about to do the lower leg and air chamber service on my 2019 Fox 36 (Fit4 damper), and am following the lost co. great video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4TH01UqEps

He does not add 3cc of oil to the air chamber, but Fox's oil volume chart says to add 3cc of 20wt gold oil... am I reading this right?

I'm assuming this before I replace the air shaft back into the stanchion?

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=987

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Oil goes in after the shaft is replaced in the stanchion. Positive chamber only. Not sure why guy in the video decided not to put 3CCs of oil in the positive chamber. Maybe he forgot?. Oil is in there to provide lubrication to the rubber seal and air spring piston.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey thanks for the reply... sorry I'm not completely following though... So if following his video, you place in the air shaft only part way, add the 3cc of oil to the bottom of the stanchion, push the air shaft the rest of the way in, then add the retaining clip?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply... sorry I'm not completely following though... So if following his video, you place in the air shaft only part way, add the 3cc of oil to the bottom of the stanchion, push the air shaft the rest of the way in, then add the retaining clip?
    Doesn't Fox have their own video? 3CCs go in to the positive air chamber. Remove air cap. Put the air shaft back in the upper completely. Put the 3CCs of oil from the top of the air chamber. Replace air cap. Alternatively, if you don't wish to remove the air cap, you can add 3CCs of oil prior to putting in the air shaft. Just make sure the oil settles in the positive chamber. You do not want oil or excess grease in the negative chamber as this will affect initial sensitivity negatively.

10CCs goes in the lower leg air side. Once you load the positive air chamber up with oil and replace the air cap, slide the lowers back over the uppers. Before bolting everything back up, squeeze 10CCs of oil in the hole on the bottom of the air side. Damper side takes 40CCs in the lower leg.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blo...spension-forks

I used that guide. It's a few years old and it was a time before Fox decided to add 3CCs of oil in the positive chamber. But everything applies for basic maintenance.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thank you, I didn't realize Fox has an in depth video on just the air shaft.