Fox 34 Rhythm- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fox 34 Rhythm

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Fox 34 Rhythm

Looking at a new bike which comes with a Fox 34 Rhythm. From what I can find it shares internals with the Fox 34 Performance, but a little heavier from a lower grade aluminum body.

Looking at possibly upgrading the internals Iíve found an open bath cartridge from Avalanche. Are there other options?

This fork has been out for almost 4 years now, who has some feedback on its performance? Any setup advice?

I searched, not much about this fork on the forums.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenErik1 View Post
    Looking at a new bike which comes with a Fox 34 Rhythm. From what I can find it shares internals with the Fox 34 Performance, but a little heavier from a lower grade aluminum body.

Looking at possibly upgrading the internals Iíve found an open bath cartridge from Avalanche. Are there other options?

This fork has been out for almost 4 years now, who has some feedback on its performance? Any setup advice?

I have a 2017 130mm travel 29er fork. Surprisingly it has been pretty much set and forget on my trail bike. The air pressure chart was in the ballpark but I did add a couple extra volume spacers. It gets mostly favorable reviews, some aggressive riders might say it spikes a little but then you should probably be on a $$$ fork or damper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Most reviews on that fork have been good and surprised many folks-----generally the input for most riders is to just ride it as the upgrade makes little diff for the vast majority of riders---the really picky and aggressive may need more---I do not have one but this seems to have been the skinny

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenErik1 View Post

The 34 Rhythm is way better then it should be. I replaced the one that came on my 2019 trance 29 with a 34 factory with a luftkappe and to be honest, the rhythm 34 was pretty much every bit as good in retrospect. Avalanche is the only one doing aftermarket dampers in the US that I am aware of. Overall I think that would be your best option for maintaining the rhythm chassis and upgrading the damper performance. IMO, the only complaint I had with the rhythm was that it had a tiny off balance between LSC and HSC at what was for me, the optimum compression settings. To be honest, this gap was smaller then I have experienced in far more expensive forks (looking at you pre 2019 pike and lyric). This small gap in what adjustments were available and what I wanted for it to be perfect was so small that it's offset by the ease of setup of the rhythm 34. It's a lot easier to find the optimum setting on this thing with volume tokens and the compression/rebound adjusters.

Overall, I would ride the 34 rhythm as is until you feel it's a limiting factor. It's worth while do to a lower leg service and air spring service on them, even if brand new as fox can get sloppy with their brand new builds. Other than that I'd ear mark it for eventual upgrade and tackle other things on the bike that you are annoyed with first. I'm a bit of a suspension snob, and even I am hard pressed to say that dumping money into a fork upgrade over the rhythm 34 is going to have diminishing returns and will at most, provide a 20% value proposition over the stock rhythm performance.

mtbr member
    ‚ÄčThis review of affordable forks includes the Rhythm and is a good read. https://m.pinkbike.com/news/ridden-a...ike-forks.html

I agree with what yíall have said. Though when paired with a DPS shock the Rhythm works hard to compensate so replacing the DPS with a performance shock allows the Rhythm to perform to its potential. Just to note, Vorsprung is working on a Luftkappe for the 34 Rhythm and Diaz is working on a Runt cartridge for the Fox 34 both for 2020.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thanks for the replies guys, very informative. I was not expecting people to praise the fork. Now I need to decide between the new Tallboy and Hightower. Hightower comes with a Yari which can be easily upgraded to a Lyric for cheap.

mtbr member
    My 2018 Tallboy came with the Rhythm fork. We have a lot of tree roots & rocks on trails in the Kansas City area. Back in April I demo'd a couple bikes with the Fox Performance fork. Let me tell you that fork was day & night different from the Rhythm. It would soak up the roots & rocks! Very plush! I had a ton more confidence with that fork.

About a month ago I went up about 5psi on air pressure & slowed the rebound one click on my Rhythm. While I seemed to like it better, it's still nowhere close to the Performance fork. I plan to experiment with it some more. Will look into volume spacers as well.

Me= about 160-170lbs kitted
    Fork= 75-80psi
    Rebound= anywhere from 7 - 11 clicks from open.

Even when I get the rebound on the money it's still not as plush over the "chatter" as the Performance fork.

Curious to hear feedback.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pitdaddy View Post
    Fox Performance fork. Let me tell you that fork was day & night different from the Rhythm.

The damper is the same as far as I can tell from Fox and the 2018 and newer Rhythm forks have Evol air springs (although not the same part as the more expensive versions) so any difference is likely to be seals and lubricant.

I've got Manitou Mattoc seals and Motorex Supergliss in my Rhythm and it's pretty smooth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ
    I've got Manitou Mattoc seals and Motorex Supergliss in my Rhythm and it's pretty smooth.
    What oil did you put in the damper side lower since the damper re-injests the fluid in the lower? What oil are you running in the damper? Did you do anything else while you had her open?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I use supergliss in the damper side too. All sliding seals pass a bit of oil so I don't see why Fox are recommending damper fluid for lube here.

I changed the damper fluid (to Maxima 5wt as that's what I had) and the old oil wasn't noticeably thick or dirty so I don't think the sealhead actually passes that much oil. It also feels quite tight so it doesn't look like Fox went for a deliberately looser seal to reduce friction.

mtbr member
    Yea, seems fine as the Motorex dist mentioned to me that their fork oil contains supergliss as well. This Vorsprung video describes how the Grip draws in oil over time then the volume compensator expels excess oil out the top holes. So Fox may have created the new fork oil with Teflon to serve both purposes in support of this oil cycle. I was considering Max Plush 3wt.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0AQm98NI7Fo

Hitching a ride
    I have a '18 34 Rhythm about due for a damper rebuild. What can I do to make it more better? If I want to use motorex, what weight? Shockwiz says the high speed compression damping is far too much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    This Vorsprung video describes how the Grip draws in oil over time then the volume compensator expels excess oil out the top holes.

Maybe but it's not enough bath oil to make much difference to the damper oil so I'd rather have good bath oil.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pitdaddy View Post
    My 2018 Tallboy came with the Rhythm fork. We have a lot of tree roots & rocks on trails in the Kansas City area. Back in April I demo'd a couple bikes with the Fox Performance fork. Let me tell you that fork was day & night different from the Rhythm. It would soak up the roots & rocks! Very plush! I had a ton more confidence with that fork.

About a month ago I went up about 5psi on air pressure & slowed the rebound one click on my Rhythm. While I seemed to like it better, it's still nowhere close to the Performance fork. I plan to experiment with it some more. Will look into volume spacers as well.

Me= about 160-170lbs kitted
    Fork= 75-80psi
    Rebound= anywhere from 7 - 11 clicks from open.

Even when I get the rebound on the money it's still not as plush over the "chatter" as the Performance fork.

Curious to hear feedback.
    Any "night and day" difference is likely due to the bike itself....for all intents and purposes, the Rythem and the Performance are identical other than the alloy they are made of and the damper on the Performance has 3 detents on the knob, but really no functional difference.

mtbr member
    ^^^ yeah, between two bikes I have a 120mm '18 Rhythm and a 130mm '18 Factory fork. They are very similar in performance. If I was riding blindfolded, I don't think I could tell the difference, at least not before I crashed.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    ^^^ yeah, between two bikes I have a 120mm '18 Rhythm and a 130mm '18 Factory fork. They are very similar in performance. If I was riding blindfolded, I don't think I could tell the difference, at least not before I crashed.
    Curious to know what settings you are using- air pressure & rebound adjustment on the Rhythm. Also, what you weigh & about how much actual travel you use.

I'm not an aggressive rider thus my fork never has bottomed out. Maybe I need to drop the pressure down to 70-75 & play a little more with the rebound adjustment. I also want to try adding a volume spacer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitdaddy
    Curious to know what settings you are using- air pressure & rebound adjustment on the Rhythm. Also, what you weigh & about how much actual travel you use.

I'm not an aggressive rider thus my fork never has bottomed out. Maybe I need to drop the pressure down to 70-75 & play a little more with the rebound adjustment. I also want to try adding a volume spacer.
    At 160lbs w/small jumps/drops, Iíve added 2 volume spacers, dropped to 60psi, rebound 9 clicks and slight turn from open on LSC...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    At 160lbs w/small jumps/drops, Iíve added 2 volume spacers, dropped to 60psi, rebound 9 clicks and slight turn from open on LSC...
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Rode this fork today for the first time on a new Trek Fuel EX----At 170 riding wight Trek says 80 pounds----after a bit I went to 70 and in a big g-out used all but an inch----so I bet around 60 pounds would have been ideal----I sped up the rebound a couple of clicks as I let pressure out----no idea how many spacers were in the fork----overall I was impressed and could not tell the diff to my Pivot with a factory fit 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    At this point this is just to pile on. I have a 2018 Rhythm 120mm and a 2020 Factory Performance SC. I actually prefer the Rhythm. Better bump compliance, and it seems a little stiffer while just working everywhere else. After over about 5000 miles on the Rhythm I'm still not looking to "upgrade". I also like the thing better than my Wife's Pike on her Stache as well.

mtbr member
    Took a couple laps last night. First one at 67psi, second one at 62psi. I will say the first lap felt better. Still not as buttery smooth as the Performance fork. We have a lot of rocky rooted trails in my area. Below is a clip of one section just to give you an idea. I will say running 67psi feels much better than 75-80.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

https://youtu.be/x-PC1Htf17U

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have a '19 Rhythm 34 on my 5010. I'm 145lbs geared up. Looking at my latest notes, last time I messed with it, I had 95psi, MRP Ramp Control at ~1 volume spacer, and 6 clicks of rebound. I ride a good mix of trails and jumps and find this setting to be the best for me. I prefer the fork to be a bit stiffer.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//MRP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochills View Post
    I have a '19 Rhythm 34 on my 5010. I'm 145lbs geared up. Looking at my latest notes, last time I messed with it, I had 95psi, MRP Ramp Control at ~1 volume spacer, and 6 clicks of rebound. I ride a good mix of trails and jumps and find this setting to be the best for me. I prefer the fork to be a bit stiffer.
    How do you like the Ramp Control? Does the adjustability serve well on the trail? Have you tried dropping the pressure and dialing up the Ramp? Do you think a Diaz Runt cartridge would further improve this fork?