Fox 34 Factory vs Pike RCT3 for hardpack trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Fox 34 Factory vs Pike RCT3 for hardpack trails

Need to pick up a new fork soon and was looking at either the Fox 34 Factory (2019) or Pike RCT3 (2018). Both about same price, 120mm travel and will be used on a steel HT.

Looking for best small bump compliance cause of rocky/hardpack trails in my area. Will be doing some lite backpacking also.

Have read a ton of reviews already and it looks like both forks are evenly matched up overall. At this point, I might just go with whatever is cheaper. Does that make sense?

Thanks for any additional input.

mtbr member
    I have a 130mm 29r 2020 fox 34 factory on my giant trance advanced 29, which I ride extremely hard. I'm 180 lbs geared +/- and I can feel the flex in the fox 34 factory. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten the new pike ultimate instead. The 2018 generation pike isn't great with regards to small bump performance if I'm honest, but if it's an charger 2 generation (don't remember if the 2018 are or not) you can add a push hc97 to it.

I would be concerned about the stiffness of the fox 34 factory for bike packing. It likely won't be such a huge issue on a hardtail because you won't be riding it as hard as I ride my trance 29. However, It's for sure noticeable to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    Need to pick up a new fork soon and was looking at either the Fox 34 Factory (2019) or Pike RCT3 (2018). Both about same price, 120mm travel and will be used on a steel HT.

Looking for best small bump compliance cause of rocky/hardpack trails in my area. Will be doing some lite backpacking also.

Have read a ton of reviews already and it looks like both forks are evenly matched up overall. At this point, I might just go with whatever is cheaper. Does that make sense?

Thanks for any additional input.
    I built up a bikepacking hardtail with a 2018 Pike RCT. I have a number of forks including a couple older Pikes. The new fork feels great. I would buy another no problem. Our terrain is quite rooty and rocky here in Coastal BC.

I have not used a Fox 34 as that is too little fork in my mind for anything I would want to ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have a 120mm Fox 34 on a Jamis Dragonslayer Pro (steel hard tail). My wife's bike is a 120mm Pike RCT3. After an extended time on both forks, the Fox is better at small bump compliance. I rode a friends Pike Ultimate and thought it was really nice, but my ride time was short.

My Jamis is almost 34# ready to ride with accessories. While it isn't a fully loaded backpacking rig, I can't notice any flex in the fork and it wasn't noticeable over the others I mentioned. I think there are quite a few riders anymore that are pushing 130mm front travel bikes into pretty intense territory. The flex on those longer travel, hard use situations may not align with a steel backpacking rig.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    After going over the reviews again, I ended up ordering the Fox 34 SC today. The WWC review in particular was convincing. Iím not doing anything remotely as technical or rocky as he was, and the Fox 34 was fine for him.

Thanks all!