Fork upgrade for older bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Fork upgrade for older bike

Hey. I have an older Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, (I think it's a 97). The things a tank and only shows a few scratches after all these years. I cant bring my self to buy a new bike, so I figure I will upgrade the stuff on this one.

The fork has to be the first thing to replace. My question is, and I'll admit I dont know much about bike geometry and the like, am I limited to a certain amount of travel I can ride on this bike? I'm not talking downhill fork or anything, but can I run say a 4 or 5 in fork without problems? The fork on it now, an Indy XC, has maybe an inch or travel still working on it. I dont even remember how much it is supposed to be.

Thanks for any help.

Freshly Fujified

Probably not

Quote Originally Posted by mattkos
    Hey. I have an older Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, (I think it's a 97). The things a tank and only shows a few scratches after all these years. I cant bring my self to buy a new bike, so I figure I will upgrade the stuff on this one.

The fork has to be the first thing to replace. My question is, and I'll admit I dont know much about bike geometry and the like, am I limited to a certain amount of travel I can ride on this bike? I'm not talking downhill fork or anything, but can I run say a 4 or 5 in fork without problems? The fork on it now, an Indy XC, has maybe an inch or travel still working on it. I dont even remember how much it is supposed to be.

Thanks for any help.
    First off, given the age of the bike, it probably has a 1" steerer tube and is threaded. This limits your options right out of the gate. Suspension back then was typically in the 60-68mm range, so going over 100mm will probably have an adverse effect on geometry. Double check to see that my thoughts on the steerer tube are correct. If so, check ebay, as you'll find 1" threaded steerer forks from time to time. If I'm wrong, then consider yourself lucky as you'll have a lot more options.

Best Wishes,

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Combat Wombat

Right about the travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    First off, given the age of the bike, it probably has a 1" steerer tube and is threaded. This limits your options right out of the gate. Suspension back then was typically in the 60-68mm range, so going over 100mm will probably have an adverse effect on geometry. Double check to see that my thoughts on the steerer tube are correct. If so, check ebay, as you'll find 1" threaded steerer forks from time to time. If I'm wrong, then consider yourself lucky as you'll have a lot more options.

Best Wishes,

Bob
    2.5" of travel was the norm for xc at that time and the RS Judy DH fork at that time had a whopping 3" of travel. Your bike does use an aheadset type steerer, but I do not know if it is 1 or 1 1/8". Although I seriously doubt it is 1". You can probably get away with an 80mm fork, but if you really want to stick to the original geomtry, RS Dukes with U-Turn show up on e-bay regulary. They are adjustable from 68 to 108mm.

Brian

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the help.

I measured the steerer tube and it is 1 1/8", and its not threaded. So thats all good. The 80 mm you suggested, BrianU, makes sense. One I found that could work then would be the Marzocchi Marathon Race, although I would have to switch to disc brakes in the front then. The 05 is going for $380 at Jensons, seems like a pretty good deal. Any word on this fork?

Combat Wombat

No personal experience with the Marathon.

Thanks for the help.

I measured the steerer tube and it is 1 1/8", and its not threaded. So thats all good. The 80 mm you suggested, BrianU, makes sense. One I found that could work then would be the Marzocchi Marathon Race, although I would have to switch to disc brakes in the front then. The 05 is going for $380 at Jensons, seems like a pretty good deal. Any word on this fork?
    I am a fan of Marzocchi forks and have put plenty of miles on a Z-1. Do a search over on the "Shocks" section and I'm sure you will get plenty of info there.

Brian

Freshly Fujified

I have a Marathon S

Thanks for the help.

A bit different than the Race, but as with most Marzocchi forks, I'd say you can't go wrong. Good price, too.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Members who have read this thread: 0