Fork and shock boots for dry conditions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Fork and shock boots for dry conditions?

If I ride in dry, dusty conditions most of the summer should I be using some type of boots for my shock and forks? Using a Fox Float R fork and shock and wondering what most people use in these conditions. Thanks

Whoaohohohoh
    A shock boot is not nessecary or recomended for your fork or rear shock. As long as you wipe off the seals after every ride you will be good to go. If you put on a shock boot, you will actually trap dust and debris between the boot and stachion of the shock and that will end up doing more harm then good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoaohohohoh
    A shock boot is not nessecary or recomended for your fork or rear shock.
    I agree.

I ride in dry, dusty conditions and my post-ride maintenance consists of wiping off the dust from the fork stanchions and rear shock piston.

Your fork and shock manuals should contain maintenance schedules for the air sleeve (rear shock) and oil changes (fork). Fox sells replacement seals for the air sleeve maintenance, though if you keep on top of it, you won't need new seals very often. If your fork is leaking oil at the wipers, consider replacing them with a set of wipers from Enduro Fork Seals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Harky
    Jan 2006
    KevinB...have you run the enduro fork seals?
    I just put a set on my TALAS forks...still sticky after 3 months of riding...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by harky
    KevinB...have you run the enduro fork seals?
    I just put a set on my TALAS forks...still sticky after 3 months of riding...
    I've been running Enduro seals on my Fox Vanilla for about 9 months now. I thought they were a tad sticky in the beginning too. I used Finish Line Stanchion Lube after installation and then after each of the first few rides to reduce the stiction. I haven't used the Stanchion Lube in quite a while now (due to my misplacing the bottle), but, luckily, my fork no longer really needs it.

I really like the Enduro Seals. I used to see a gunky mess (caused by the fork oil mixing with trail dust) at the bottom of my Vanilla's stanchions when I used Fox seals. I've not noticed any oil leakage whatsoever with the Enduro seals.

Members who have read this thread: 0