Fork recommendation for 2001 Specialized M2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Fork recommendation for 2001 Specialized M2

Can anyone recommend a new Fork for a 2001 Specialized M2 (hardtail). I was told 80mm is the max. travel allowed for this bikes geometry.
    Any help/advise is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vicmtbs
    Can anyone recommend a new Fork for a 2001 Specialized M2 (hardtail). I was told 80mm is the max. travel allowed for this bikes geometry.
    Any help/advise is appreciated.

I would agree that 80mm is porbably going to be the upper travel limit on your M2. Maybe 100mm, but even that is going to slacken the head angle, and slow the steering down.

A fork that definitely jumps to mind would be the RockShox Reba. I am assuming you are intending to use the bike for XC use (as it was designed?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

recommendation for 2001 Specialized M2

Thanks for the suggestion regarding my M2. I'll look in to the Rock Shox Reba.
    I'm definitely using the bike for XC and much more.
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    I would agree that 80mm is porbably going to be the upper travel limit on your M2. Maybe 100mm, but even that is going to slacken the head angle, and slow the steering down.

A fork that definitely jumps to mind would be the RockShox Reba. I am assuming you are intending to use the bike for XC use (as it was designed?)
    yep, I agree w/ 006_007.
    I had a 96 M2, didn't like the handling with 100mm of travel, but then again it was designed for more like 65mm travel at that time. 80mm travel was peachy ('zoke Z2).
    The '01 was designed for 80mm in 2001, no? what fork was stock? I'm just wondering if you can compare the Axle-Crown length to stock & the 100mm one you're looking at, if it's w/i 10mm, go for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I'm running a Fox 100RLC on my 2000 M2

My old backup hardtail, 2000 Stumpjumper M2 has had a 2004 Fox Float 100RLC for a year or more. I like it better than the Fox 80RL it replaced. The steering change is minimal, I do feel a slight bit more front wheel lift when climbing steep terrain. But I'm also running a 105mm stem. The bike is much more stable/fun on downhill sections.
    What ever you get make sure it's got 32mm stanchions, the extra stiffness is a must.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks to everyone for the advice/opinion. It's extremely helpful.
    My M2 came with the Manitou Mars... it cracked somewhere along the way and Manitou couldn't do anything about it. That's why I'm looking.
    My M2 is also my backup hardtail but since I've been back on it I've been choosing this ride over my 03' Enduro. Which I'm now thinking of selling and looking in to an Epic. The Enduro gets to crazy and I'm just not that rider anymore. I'm getting married so I have to think about my head.
    Anyway, all the info is great and now I need to get to applying and purchasing. I actually ended up buying a Rock Shox Judy SL (80mm) for $100 from PricePoint. I'm going to see how that feels but if I don't like it then I'll look into the Fox Float 100RLC.
    The Fox Float 100RLC actually sounds sweeter especially with the 105mm stem.

Members who have read this thread: 0