Fork choice help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Fork choice help

I am new here and I have searched and searched, but I just need to ask... Which of the following forks would be the best for this criteria?

Bike: Knolly DT

-light free-ride
    -my "do everything bike"
    -can climb hills (street runs and trails)
    -can take hits (up to 6', its hard to find stuff bigger than that in the south)
    -good trail manners

Forks:
    -Marz 66 ata
    -36 van
    -lyrik (coil or air)
    -totem (prob too much, I know)
    -any others that you all might recommend

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Marz 66 ata - watchout, have heard ata can be problematic, better choice would be RC3
    Lyrik - Get the coil uturn version, absolutly bombproof and is the only reliable and durable travel adjust system on the market
    totem - well like you said, prob streching it

or if you want a fixed 160mm fork maybe a 55 rc3 or even a domain 318 uturn (adjustable from 160 to 115mm or around that)

Durability wise, the domain 318 is pretty much rocksolid

Oct 2005
    I don't think the Totem would be too much, especially if you're looking at the 66. On many bikes now make for these types of forks, they climb surprisingly well, geo-wise. In that light, I find the travel adjusts compromises. Don't get me wrong; if the Totem had it, I'd love it, but it's not absolutely necessary.

I'd likely go Totem Solo Air.

Determine by the A2c you want as well. 36's and 55's are also a bit more targeted to AM, so you have to take into consideration that they aren't in the same class as 66's and Totems.

mtbr member
    IMHO a Totem is one of the few forks worthy of going on a Knolly DT. I say it is really a toss up between the Totem and a 66. That bike is so much fun w a 66 on it..........

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    Lyrik Solo Air! I thought I was gonna have to go to a Totem but my LSA just does it all and with no weight penalty. I've used a LOT of forks in my time and my fave is the LSA. Do a search - lotsa luv for that one but not so it's evil stepsister - the 2-step.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Why no love for the 2-step?

mtbr member
    Lyrik Solo Air! I thought I was gonna have to go to a Totem but my LSA just does it all and with no weight penalty. I've used a LOT of forks in my time and my fave is the LSA. Do a search - lotsa luv for that one but not so it's evil stepsister - the 2-step.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have narrowed it down between the Lyric coil or air, totem coil or air, or 36 Van? Still can't decide... Want it to be stiff yet plush.. thanks again

Members who have read this thread: 0