Are Float and Vanilla uppers compatible?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Are Float and Vanilla uppers compatible?

Hi,

I've got an old Float fork which is getting a bit long in the tooth. I can get a very good deal on a new Fox Vanilla fork. My plan would be to swap the internals over so that I'd end up with a black Float and a grey Vanilla. I'd then keep the black Float and sell the Vanilla.

Does anyone know for sure if this is possible? Is the Float upper tube honed differently to a Vanilla? I've heard of people swapping the internals from one leg to another if one is worn, so I'm guessing it may be possible.

Cheers

Pete

Do It Yourself
    I don't think so. At least when I tried it with an 02 Float and an 03 Vanilla, it wouldn't work. The Vanilla had thicker stanchion tubes so the Float air piston wouldn't fit. If both are 05 or later parts, you might have a slim chance.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for that info Homebrew - looks like its not going to be possible then - http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=116266 suggests that more recent Vanilla uppers are the same as the ones you tried.

Not dead yet, just playin
    If you want to take the internals from the Float and put them in the Vanilla, thats not going to work. The insides of the Float's stanchions are milled then hard anodized so the air piston doesn't get chewed up as it moves. Strangely, both legs of the Float are anodized, so you can switch the internals from side to side.

If you want to put the black, Vanilla lowers on the float uppers, that should work fine.

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

Members who have read this thread: 0