Float RL 100 ('03) vs. Black Elite ('04)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Float RL 100 ('03) vs. Black Elite ('04)

These are the forks that my wife is interested in. She's pretty small, 5-2 and about 120 lbs. I really have no personal experience with these two forks but friends rave over the Fox.

Feb 2004

Personally, I think both are overbuilt for her

Someone that small is generally better served by a lighter, air-sprung fork, unless shes pretty aggressive.

I think something like a Duke Race would be plenty stout, and would save you probably about $100.

mtbr member

Comes with the bike

These forks are mounted on bikes that she's looking at right now. The Black comes on this year's Stumpy FSR along with a Float R in back with PoPedal while the other is an '03 Stumpy FSR with matching Float RL front and back. I know the frame has changed a little from last year, but I'm not really sure that would matter all that much as this would be her first FS bike. The '03 is about $400 less, so that might be a factor to consider as well. Other than that, the bikes are speced pretty close. She really likes the way they ride, and that's the biggest factor of all. I was just trying to get some imput about the forks to consider in the big picture.

Feb 2004

In that case..

Quote Originally Posted by 02Slayer
    These forks are mounted on bikes that she's looking at right now. The Black comes on this year's Stumpy FSR along with a Float R in back with PoPedal while the other is an '03 Stumpy FSR with matching Float RL front and back. I know the frame has changed a little from last year, but I'm not really sure that would matter all that much as this would be her first FS bike. The '03 is about $400 less, so that might be a factor to consider as well. Other than that, the bikes are speced pretty close. She really likes the way they ride, and that's the biggest factor of all. I was just trying to get some imput about the forks to consider in the big picture.
    Id go with the 03, get the Fox fork, and pocket the difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

go with the 03 FSR

my 2 cents:

I just bought the 04 Stumpy with a float R and the Black Elite. I did not like the Black fork on it. Sprung too heavy for me and I weigh 185. I have to jump off big things to get near the full travel. I think if it was sprung right it would be fine though. OK damping, a little bit wiggly though for me.

The only things I would really change on it would be the brakes and the fork. I am a Marz man anyway so I already changed that. Brakes come at X-mas. Rims aren't great, but they will only last so long.

I'd go with the 03 for her based on my 04 experience.