Flipping the crown/steerer assembly for low offset- Mtbr.com
    mbtr member

Flipping the crown/steerer assembly for low offset

A quick measurement of the forks i have available shows that flipping the crown/steer assembly backward would give a fork offset in the ~30s, depending on the fork. I'm intrigued. Seems like the mass-production low offset forks are pretty conservative, so flipping the CSA would let us try a lower offset than is commercially available and that might be preferable.

Anyone done this? I'd experiment myself, but i haven't been riding enough mtb lately to trust my impressions.

Obviously it's not a very good experiment if you're using an older/smaller frame where there's barely enough front-center.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Are your fork internals side specific?

Could you rotate your crown 180 without also having to rotate your lowers 180 too?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    On the RS forks, I think it would require a coil conversion too. There is no air equalization dimple on the right hand stanchion.

Otherwise, it LOOKS like the right hand leg does have the correct sizing and has an o-ring grove for the yari damper that would also work on the airspring seal head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike156 View Post
    On the RS forks, I think it would require a coil conversion too. There is no air equalization dimple on the right hand stanchion.

Otherwise, it LOOKS like the right hand leg does have the correct sizing and has an o-ring grove for the yari damper that would also work on the airspring seal head.
    This could be gotten around by keeping the air-spring and damper in the same stanchions - making the modification very easy to undertake.

My bigger concern would be that the arch might hit the crown, it'll be easy to determine if that actually happens. Scottzg, keep us posted how it worked out.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I THINK the leg lengths are different in the lowers? Could probably be resolved with a different airshaft though?

30mm difference though is going to cause a pretty big difference in handling just from the wheelbase change alone. Might work if you had a frame that has too much wheelbase for you and you were using this to shorten up the bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    w/ very little trust in my impressions also, i'd say no, too drastic of steering change
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    I did it 15 years ago on a dual crown Manitou Xvert fitted with Black lowers (to avoid the crown hitting the brace).

For where and how I was riding it wasn't a significant change. I suspect if you are on the ragged edge of a handling issue it could fix it (or totally ruin it) but if you aren't you won't notice.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Pretty sure the crown and the brace on the lower legs would hit one another.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ha! Go for it! Triple crowns will give you the additional option of running your lowers revered as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flipping the crown/steerer assembly for low offset-20190914_152645.jpg  

83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Ha! Go for it! Triple crowns will give you the additional option of running your lowers revered as well.
    Yeah, but what do you do with the 3rd crown?!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

be1
    mtbr member
    manitou?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Hmmm best I can do, obviously old age is catching up to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flipping the crown/steerer assembly for low offset-5fye8jl.png  

83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    see below
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    revere it as well, as all crowns should be. reverence rules
    breezy shade

mbtr member

Just let the damper be on the left. No big deal. Rockshox should be easy to flip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-ti View Post
    \ Scottzg, keep us posted how it worked out.
    I will! The only fork where i can do this is on a bike i am not 100% comfortable on cuz it's too new, so it's a ways out. I designed the frame for a low offset, and then bought a high offset fork. Duhh. I'm excited to experiment with geometry w/o spending any money, though.

I THINK the leg lengths are different in the lowers? Could probably be resolved with a different airshaft though?

30mm difference though is going to cause a pretty big difference in handling just from the wheelbase change alone. Might work if you had a frame that has too much wheelbase for you and you were using this to shorten up the bike?
    differing leg lengths, 30mm change... it's not going to work with every fork. It's something to explore. But yeah, changing the front-center is a confounding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    manitou?
    I don't think older manitou forks can be reversed because of the threaded lowers. Mezzer can, im 95% sure.

I've never paid attention to if this was possible with forks in the past, or how much of the offset was in the crown vs the lowers. i regret that now. My hope with this thread is that others will experiment and figure out which forks can do this, and what the resulting offset is.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    I did it about 1-2 years ago on a 2012 Marz 66 w spring. I don't really remember my initial thoughts except that it was slightly different feel. Nothing earth shattering. I got 2 days on it then flipped it back. I could tell the wheel was tucked in a little more but not being biased to what I was supposed to feel I couldn't tell much of a difference.
    Maybe I'll do it again trying to pay better attention.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube