F100RL - Very Loud...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

F100RL - Very Loud...

I've got a F100RL (came as OEM on '05 Spec. Epic) that seems to be making what I think is an abnormal amount of noise... The "baby sucking on bottle" noise is really loud. I mean I can hear it on every rebound over all other noises... Is this a problem with the fork or just something that I'll have to get used to? I weigh about 165 and I'm running about 75 PSI with the rebound set in the middle.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance,
    simp

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    I'm not real familiar with the F100RL, but if it has a lock and blow off adjustment, does it only do it with the lock engaged? If so, it's the sound of the blow off valve. My Vanilla RLC makes this kind of moice when in lock mode.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

mtbr member

F80rl

I had a similar problem with my F80RL during a race recently. My forks were almost brand new, I'm not sure how old yours are as you don't say, but I traced the problem to one of two problems.

1) Uppers need lube, it's just the dry seals squeaking on the uppers, it wasn't really a squeak noise, more of a sucking noise but it was coming from the seal area. My forks were new, so the seals weren't broken in just yet. It drove me nuts for the first half of a 12 hour race This problem did go away - although Finish line's Stanchion lube should provide a quick solution.

2) Not enough oil in the damper. Again related to the age, how long has it since you had your forks serviced? It could simply be the incorrect amount of oil or air in the damper chamber; you may need a top it up or even better give them a service while you are at it - its quiet easy to do.

I hope that helps.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the responses...

The fork is essentialy brand new. Fewer than 150 miles on it at this point... I guess I'll wait it out and see if things improve. If not, back to LBS.... thanks again...

later,
    simp

Hack Racer
    I have the same problem on my F80RL. Loud slurping sound/baby sucking on bottle sound on rebound. I'm not sure if it's normal or not. It suddenly made that sound and won't go away after a ride.

After a 24 hour relay race I noticed I had another problem develop. Whenever the front brake engages the fork seemed to want to flex. I took it back to the service guys who were supporting the race and both shops said the bushing was bad. Since the shock is only 6 rides old, they think it was defective. I brought it back to the my LBS, had them look at both problems. THey said the bushing was dead. and they weren't sure about the slurping sound as they have not seen that problem. They pulled my fork off and sent it to the fox warranty centre with both symptons identified, they assured me before that fox sends it back they will look over the entire fork and fix any other issues other than the bushing problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0