Extending a Manitou's(SX) Life- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Extending a Manitou's(SX) Life

Hey guys first post here, but have been a long time lurker.
    I currently ride a 2000 Manitou SX and like the fork and would like to keep it going for as long as I can.
    I know the elastomers have a finite life and aren't the best in cold weather. I've been looking around for something to replace them and have come across a couple of companies.
    One is http://wings-suspension.de/index_e.html . Don't know much about these guys, but browsing their website it looks like they offer a full replacement spring for my fork that does away with the elastomer. Anyone have any experiance with these guys?
    Have also heard about a product called Mountain Speed Springs (or something like that). Looks like this company was in business a while ago but not anymore. From reading, sounds like their product was an elastomer replacement spring also.
    Beyond these, any homebrews people have come up with to replace the elastomers and keep these forks going?
    Would also like opinions on whether on not replacing the elastomers with springs is even a good idea. I know since a spring is more linear that an mcu you'll loose some of your progression. What are some of the other downsides/upsides of this?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A spring, if matched for the shock and rider, will outperform an elastomer by leaps and bounds in all aspects of performance. I have not heard of the other company but most people I've heard from have like the mountain speed springs.

After replacing your MCU with a spring your rebound may speed up a bit but it depends on your fork so this may be something to consider.

You may want to consider a new fork. A 2005 or 2006 low end fork will feel so much better than a 2000 fork I think you will be surprised. The technology has come a long way in 5 years. I know jensons usually has close out OEM forks for not much more than a hundred bucks if your on a budget (who isn't?)

Jim

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks Crakbot. I'm definitely on a budget, lol. I have thought about the replacement route with either a decent used or nicely priced new fork. I just have a hard time letting my old fork go without checking into some options. Do you know if Mountain Speed still makes replacment springs? I've looked around for a website but haven't come up with anything.
    Thanks for the tip on looking at Jenson, I'll check them out and see what they have. Take it easy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I think Mountain speed is out business but I'm not sure. I'm sure there are springs floating around somewhere but tracking them down might be tough.

I've never tried this but I heard a while back that if you boil your old MCU stack that they get a little life back in them. It sounds a little weird but if they're already shot I guess it might be worth a try.

Jim

just along for the ride
    dump that fork before it hurts you it has plastic fasteners holding the spring in from the top, say no more!

Members who have read this thread: 0