EXR PRO how to open it and chek waht is wrong... READ- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

EXR PRO how to open it and chek waht is wrong... READ

Okay,

My exr pro (2004) started to make a clicking sound (quite loud) when i compress it to the half of its travel... (from the right leg) I never had problem with the fork and it never leaked... Its quite annoying because i was going to sell it...

Anyways,

Is there something that i could chek myself, can i open the right top cap ? If i do that what will happen, what i will see, waht i should chek,etc ? What could be wrong with the fork ?

Marzocchi fork have a warranty of 2 years should this be covered ?
    Last edited by Megaclocker; 11-24-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Now riding Fox Shox!
    Jan 2005
    Open the topcap, remove the spring, find a tube that fits around it tightly, reinstall. The click is just the spring tapping the stanchion inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by offtheedge
    when I showed it to her she said..."Are you serious" refering to the size...

mtbr member
    Take off the top caps and rotate the springs. Do them one at a time so the fork doesn't fall down squirting oil everywhere. DO NOT overtighten them. They don't require much torque at all.

If that doesn't work you'll have to change the oil. At first I tried Bel-Ray and it made the ticking worse. After I swapped oil with Golden Spectro the fork is perfectly silent. Damping improved a bunch too. Make sure you get the oil level right.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=86323
    Banned

Meh.
    Sounds like the spring is shifting around on the inside of the fork. Wrap up the spring in a tube and slide it back in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I know what you mean, but this fork just have oil and a spring in it ?

Any pics to know how to open it ?

1. Remove the allen adjusters. It's a good idea to screw them all the way down first and count how many turns it takes. It makes it easier to set sag when your done. (What is sag why to set it i don't understand ?)
    2. Remove the top caps. I think it's a 26mm socket. They're not on very tight. (Okay easy)
    3. Take out the washers. Stick something in the hole and lift. They come right out. If you have an L-shaped allen key, the short side works perfectly (They come right out, what ?)
    4.Remove the springs. Use the short side of the allen key for this too. (okay)
    5. Carefully compress the shock so oil doesn't go everywhere. (Why?)
    6. Prop up your rear tire so the shock is level.(Okay easy)
    6. Measure the distance from the top of the shock to the top of the oil. 50mm is a good starting point. If it's more than 60mm add oil. I overfill mine and then suck out the excess oil (Okay easy)
    7. Put everything back, making sure that there's no dirt on anything.(Okay easy)

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker
    I know what you mean, but this fork just have oil and a spring in it ?

Any pics to know how to open it ?

1. Remove the allen adjusters. It's a good idea to screw them all the way down first and count how many turns it takes. It makes it easier to set sag when your done. (What is sag why to set it i don't understand ?)
    2. Remove the top caps. I think it's a 26mm socket. They're not on very tight. (Okay easy)
    3. Take out the washers. Stick something in the hole and lift. They come right out. If you have an L-shaped allen key, the short side works perfectly (They come right out, what ?)
    4.Remove the springs. Use the short side of the allen key for this too. (okay)
    5. Carefully compress the shock so oil doesn't go everywhere. (Why?)
    6. Prop up your rear tire so the shock is level.(Okay easy)
    6. Measure the distance from the top of the shock to the top of the oil. 50mm is a good starting point. If it's more than 60mm add oil. I overfill mine and then suck out the excess oil (Okay easy)
    7. Put everything back, making sure that there's no dirt on anything.(Okay easy)
    I suggest just bringing it to a shop if you're having that much trouble with it. Shocks can be intimidating, but it's easy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I solved the problem,

There was 2 little washer in the fork and they were bent to **** (i did several drop to flat at the beginning of the year, i was dumb) so i just make them straight, re-put them in the fork and problem solved, no click or anything, work like a charm now !

Members who have read this thread: 0