Exciting, My New Pike Arrived- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Exciting, My New Pike Arrived

I feel like a boy on Christmas day. My PIKE just arrived. I have to wait until my new 20mm wheel gets built up. I went with an '05 PIKE Team U-Turn Coil w/poplock because they were being blownout a great prices.

I weigh about 160 geared up. I hear the stock springs should work good for my weight, true?

The steel blue isnt bad looking either. Better than red for my black frame.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    I feel like a boy on Christmas day. My PIKE just arrived. I have to wait until my new 20mm wheel gets built up. I went with an '05 PIKE Team U-Turn Coil w/poplock because they were being blownout a great prices.

I weigh about 160 geared up. I hear the stock springs should work good for my weight, true?

The steel blue isnt bad looking either. Better than red for my black frame.
    THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITOUT PICS
    Check my Site

EDR
    Cool! Its a great fork. Why not black? I would guess that color wasn't a blowout option...

Not sure about that poplock thing, ditch it if you don't find it works well.

You might be on the light side for the med spring. I'm almost 200lbs with gear and I think I am on the topside of the window for the stock spring. What I like about that is that the fork is quite plush on small stuff but not too undersprung. I have only bottomed it out hard once that I could tell. It takes 3ft drops very smoothly using up almost every bit of travel at my weight.

I suggest riding it for a month or two and if you find you aren't using all of the travel or it feels oversprung (too firm) then order a lighter spring. A lot of this depends of course on your riding style so if your a big jumper then it might be perfect.

-Enjoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    YEah, Pics would be fun. Í'll wait until I install it and will take some pics to post then.

Oh, these come with med springs? I think I'll be too light for it then. I don't really do drops these days anymore, so light springs are in order then.

I would have liked black, but Blue was my only choice. I didn't have a choice about the poplock too. I really didn't want it, but oh well.

Now I just have to wait for the front wheel to be built up. Darn, now its raining!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Not sure about that poplock thing, ditch it if you don't find it works well.

You can't really ditch it. If you do, you basically loose the compression adjustment unless you resort to some creative rigging, and the solutions I have seen require the use of tools to adjust the compression. You still loose the ability to use the lockout feature. I thought I did not want the poplock (or lockout) for a while, as I run the floodgate out so far that I don't have much of a lockout left when I do engage the poplock (not that I really wanted a lockout anyway). However, I now find that when I do use the poplock, the increase in low speed compression dampening it just enough to really help out in stupid steep, slow, rocky descents, and also when launching a drop or jump.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what exactly does the external floodgate thingy do anyway? about how long should i expect before the fork seals are broken in?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    what exactly does the external floodgate thingy do anyway? about how long should i expect before the fork seals are broken in?
    I did not notice any break-in period for the seals.

As far as what the floodgate does, it takes a while to explain. Do a search of "motion control" I talked about it a bit in a thread titled "Finally got my Pike DIALED...I think"

Kapusta

mtbr member

hey myitch

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I did not notice any break-in period for the seals.

As far as what the floodgate does, it takes a while to explain. Do a search of "motion control" I talked about it a bit in a thread titled "Finally got my Pike DIALED...I think"

Kapusta
    I'll make you a deal on that pop lock motion control damper. I will swap you a non non pop lock motion control damper and some cash for it. Just got the race model and decided I should have opted for the pop lock. Let me know if this interest you. Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo2k
    I'll make you a deal on that pop lock motion control damper. I will swap you a non non pop lock motion control damper and some cash for it. Just got the race model and decided I should have opted for the pop lock. Let me know if this interest you. Jim
    hmm, i'd have to take out the whole right side cartridge assembly. not sure i want to take apart a brand new fork. your fork is also brand new, never ridden? maybe PM me and we'll talk.

"El Whatever"
    hmm, i'd have to take out the whole right side cartridge assembly. not sure i want to take apart a brand new fork. your fork is also brand new, never ridden? maybe PM me and we'll talk.
    It's a generous offer.

All you have to do is unscrew the top-cap and pulling the damper off... it's a single unit and it's not connected with the rebound side.
    Check my Site

Bodhisattva
    Myitch,
    Stock spring will be fine. I'm exactly your weight. Let us know if you're having any problems.

You can ditch the poplock without touching the motion control.

Simply remove the wire by releasing the setscrew holding the wire onto the compression dial. Someone please correct me if I'm missing something here.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 11-30-2005 at 12:09 PM.

EDR
    I didn't know you could not just remove the poplock option...

About the floodgate: The floodgate becomes a factor only when riding in the full compression setting (lockout). It acts as a blow-off valve. You adjust the floodgate to change the amount of force it takes to overcome the lockout. This is very useful for climbing or jumps. I often ride with my compression set to full but only one or two turns of the floodgate valve. This allows the fork to remain very stiff when standing and climbing but quickly gives way when hitting medium sized bumps or landing a jump. Basically you can have the fork locked out and you can adjust how much force it takes to make the fork give way and soak up the bump. With the floodgate closed all the way the fork remains locked out on almost any hit.

Not a great explanation but I hope it helped somewhat.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 11-30-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

You can ditch the poplock without touching the motion control.

Simply remove the wire by releasing the setscrew holding the wire onto the compression dial. Someone please correct me if I'm missing something here.
    If you remove the cable, the spring loaded compression knob will stay at the minimum compression setting. That's fine if that's what you want, but I find that I use quite a bit of compression dampening. Also, I you loose the ability to engage the "lockout" (though I don't use it as a lockout - it has other good uses). The floodgate is pretty much useless if you are not running any compression dampening to start with.

The non-poplock versions allow you to adjust the compression and engage the lockout on the top of the fork. The poplock just moves those adjustments to the handlebar. Loose the poplock and you loose the adjustment. If you want the minimum possible compression dampening and no lockout, then I guess that would be OK

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    About the floodgate: The floodgate becomes a factor only when riding in the full compression setting (lockout). It acts as a blow-off valve.
    No, it DOES have an effect even when you have NOT locked out the fork. the more compression dampening you run, the more the floodgate adjustment will affect the feel. It does act as a sort of a blow off valve, but it does so ALL THE TIME, and the setting of the floodgate will significantly affect the forks feel on larger and high speed bumps.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    If you remove the cable, the spring loaded compression knob will stay at the minimum compression setting. That's fine if that's what you want, but I find that I use quite a bit of compression dampening. Also, I you loose the ability to engage the "lockout" (though I don't use it as a lockout - it has other good uses). The floodgate is pretty much useless if you are not running any compression dampening to start with.

The non-poplock versions allow you to adjust the compression and engage the lockout on the top of the fork. The poplock just moves those adjustments to the handlebar. Loose the poplock and you loose the adjustment. If you want the minimum possible compression dampening and no lockout, then I guess that would be OK
    Gotcha. Compession damping = good. I use quite a bit of damping.
    Leave the poplock then.

mtbr member

myitch, compression damper

It is virtually new, two rides. about 30 miles. jim

Jun 2005
    Pike is a strong fork!

I think this guy here is dropping with a Pike. 20foot drop too!

Members who have read this thread: 0