ever felt dumb ?- Mtbr.com
    pb2

ever felt dumb ?

Like most of us on here, I am the wrong (right?) side of keen on all things MTB, I read everything I can get my hands, occasionly post my thoughts and questions on the various forums and spend way too much money on bike bling.

My latest purchase is a set of RockShox Pike 05 team forks complete with u - turn and pop loc, whilst I await the delivery I thought I had better sort out a 20mm axle front wheel, started doing basic searches and noticed hubs in 100mm & 110 mm widths and it suddenly clicked that I have not got a clue what width hub I need.

The scary thing is I have previously bought 3 different sets of wheels without ever knowing there were different hub widths ( hides head in shame!).

Thankfully they all fitted fine so what width hub do I need and what hub do you reckon I should get to go with a DT Swiss ex 5.1d rim

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by yespsb
    Like most of us on here, I am the wrong (right?) side of keen on all things MTB, I read everything I can get my hands, occasionly post my thoughts and questions on the various forums and spend way too much money on bike bling.

My latest purchase is a set of RockShox Pike 05 team forks complete with u - turn and pop loc, whilst I await the delivery I thought I had better sort out a 20mm axle front wheel, started doing basic searches and noticed hubs in 100mm & 110 mm widths and it suddenly clicked that I have not got a clue what width hub I need.

The scary thing is I have previously bought 3 different sets of wheels without ever knowing there were different hub widths ( hides head in shame!).

Thankfully they all fitted fine so what width hub do I need and what hub do you reckon I should get to go with a DT Swiss ex 5.1d rim
    I think 110 is for 20mm axles and 100 is for QR's ones.... but I might be wrong.

Rear axles are far worst.... 135, 150, 12mm or 10mm, hollow or solid.... aaarrrggghhhh.... so many standards!!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    most forks i know are 100mm...

lurker no more

Ask SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by yespsb

Why don't you ask SRAM? They own rockshox and should know the hub width that the fork is designed for.

I'm building up a bike now and am thinking of getting the 108pt engagement Hadley hubs for the rear, so I can get near instantaneous engagement without having to pedal very much. Thinking they'll be good for skinnies and such because you won't have to pedal such a large degree and have more of a chance to lose your balance. Anyone else have quick engagement hubs? Do you like them? I'm doing mostly aggro trail and free ride light. It'll be a six inch travel front/rear bike.

Old man on a bike
    100mm is the normal width for both road and mountain bike front wheels, except for the 20mm (and 24mm Maverick too I believe) thru axle hubs...and you will need to think about that for mounting your disk brake caliper, too (either by spacing the caliper over or getting an adapter).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Members who have read this thread: 0