DVO Topaz- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DVO Topaz

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

DVO Topaz

Didn't see a thread on this so I figured I would start one for those interested in the shock. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and so far only have one ride on it due to work requiring me to be away from home.

The Topaz came in its own custom hard case including a pump and volume spacers. I got it to replace the double barrel inline that my Knolly came with and from the one ride I have on it, the Topaz is feeling much better. This most likely is due to being a better pairing with my DVO fork and also just more volume to soak up larger hits. I think I'll be adding a volume spacer when I return home shortly and see how it is feeling after that. For the first ride, the shock didn't feel sloppy for stand up pedaling, bottomed out without me noticing, and has VERY little breakaway force required. So far I haven't had a shock with this little breakaway force which is proving to be pretty incredible.

Here are the initial photos and I'll post some more info as more rides on the shock happen.

DVO Topaz-img_3443_zpsvsls8lyy.jpg
    DVO Topaz-img_3444_zpsrg4wjbgn.jpg
    DVO Topaz-img_3446_zpseptgqoyc.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Glad to hear you like it. I have been eyeballing it as a replacement for my Float. Seems like a really nice shock at a good price. Keep the updates coming.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah finally some info out there. I got mine mounted up and my initial impressions are really positive. Mine went on a Transition Scout that I've just built up with a Diamond up front. I did a long weekend of riding on the stock Monarch and this shock is definitely an upgrade.
    Will post pics when I get home.

This shock is the business.
    [/URL]

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Added a volume spacer and this thing is set now. I feel like it matches my front fork (DVO Diamond) so well now. Granted it should as according to DVO it's the same piston in the fork just scaled down. I'll be getting more rides in on it soon and hitting up a 4-6 stage enduro race in a couple of weekends with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I snapped in 3 of the 4 spacers because my Monarch was way too linear for my liking. Definitely an improvement over the RS stuff. These guys know their shit.
    DVO Topaz-dscn0609.jpg

mtbr member
    Has anyone been riding a Topaz for an extended period and can speak of it's reliability?

What's the recommended service intervals?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Has anyone been riding a Topaz for an extended period and can speak of it's reliability?

It only started shipping less than a month ago. No real people have had it longer than that... The bike mags/websites have certainly been riding them but nobody to my knowledge has released an extended review.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    It only started shipping less than a month ago. No real people have had it longer than that...
    it's 2 months now... any user review?

mtbr member
    What size shock mounting hardware ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    it's 2 months now... any user review?

Well not much to say really... It works great! No weird noises or unexpected anything. I leave my climb switch open all the time and it rides pretty awesome.

So basically if you like DVO go for it, if not then get a Float X or a Monarch Plus and I'd bet you wouldn't notice all that much difference. I do definitely prefer the feel over the Monarch rc3 I had before the tooaz.

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post

^^this

I like to hear more about high speed performance on this thing...rock gardenz etc
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yes, more comparisons to other shocks please: )

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I ran this for an enduro race at a shuttle bike area and I was pleasantly surprised. After having the shock for about 2 months now, I have yet to feel like it's been underwhelming or bottoms harshly.

I previously had a CCDBA Inline but unfortunately that's not a very good comparison as I didn't spend as much time as I could have to tune that shock. It was just a placeholder until I got my Topaz. At first I thought I would be left a little wanting for some compression adjustment outside of the three modes, but really I have been running it fully open without a single issue. The only time I have used the lockout at all has been for paved or fire roads which have been few and far between. That could just be my personal style, but I honestly think the range on the open setting is pretty impressive and I'm finding that air pressure and tuning rebound are making the biggest difference in getting the shock dialed versus messing with the compression switch. Just a few (5-10) psi adjustment around your desired sag percentage gives a good amount of difference in feeling in my opinion.

So far the shock has been great and still with zero stiction from the initial start of the stroke.

mtbr member

Topaz is a winner!

I've had one for about six months. No issues. I have it mounted to a giant Reign. I have three volume reducers installed. I got mine from a dealer who bought it at a trade show. (Guru suspension in Tucson AZ).

I use the three way compression adjuster all the time , works well, not a firm lock out, but helps climbing by keeping more weight on the front tire by slowing compression impacts on the rear. In descend mode it is wide open and super plush. Trail mode helps on medium speed stuff. It helps prevent hobby horse effect on slower speed whoops, washes etc. Adjusting the air pressure has a big effect on compression feel.

I had a Fox DHX 5 air can before. That shock was OK after a bunch of tweaking the propedal pressure and volume. This DVO feels much more linear with more mid travel support. The Fox could offer the same support with maxed out Pro pedal pressure, but then it felt really harsh on small bump sensitivity.

THe Topaz never feels harsh, no matter where the compression pressure is. Adding compression pressure just affects mid travel support in a subtle way.

Its hard to quantify the different feel this shock gives. A good shock disappears under you and you just focus on the trail. The DVO does this completely. I got it set up on ride three, and haven't messed with it since. Every now and then, I will rail thru a section that used to buck me on the Fox DHX, and am amazed at the compliance of this thing.

THe other up side of this shock is the DVO philosophy of user maintenance. We are supposed to be able to at least have it serviced at a local dealer, if not your self. I haven't had mine serviced yet. We will see how that goes.

lets ride
    Just picked up mine yesterday, I'll have it on tomorrow and have an initial ride report on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmatt480 View Post
    Just picked up mine yesterday, I'll have it on tomorrow and have an initial ride report on Sunday.
    I installed mine earlier this week, hoping to ride over the weekend. Did yours come with an o ring? I thought that it was odd that mine didn't come with one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar3D View Post
    I installed mine earlier this week, hoping to ride over the weekend. Did yours come with an o ring? I thought that it was odd that mine didn't come with one.
    Mine didn't come with one.. Kinda lame I think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Mine didn't come with one.. Kinda lame I think.
    Yeah, I agree. I am surprised that they left out something so essential to shock tuning. Not like I am going to be looking down at my shock while I am effortlessly gliding through a rock garden.

I bought this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KO1XK

PM me your address and I can mail you one once I figure out which size it is.

lets ride
    Mine didn't come with an o-ring either. The initiative setup was pretty easy though. However, I'm not sure how much air to put in the reservoir. It just has a range on it and nothing in the manufacturer...

mtbr member
    Mine didn't come with an o-ring either. The initiative setup was pretty easy though. However, I'm not sure how much air to put in the reservoir. It just has a range on it and nothing in the manufacturer...
    It says how much air in the owners manual.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It says how much air in the owners manual.
    Does it say how much air to put in for what leverage rate and are you able to determine the leverage rate at the sag point for your bike? Just askin...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I did a couple miles on the Topaz over the weekend and overall it was a HUGE upgrade from the RS Monarch R. I didn't use any air spacers and set the rebound to three clicks. It soaked up everything I threw at it.

lets ride
    Just got back from a day of shuttling in Sedona, I rode High Line and a few other smaller trails. I was really impressed right from the start. I've got this on an Ibis HD3 and it made the bike feel so much more responsive and confident! Rode all of high line and didn't hear anything from it, it was smooth the whole way down. I switched from the ccdbi and man what a difference! My buddy said that it gets better as it breaks in, I can't even imagine! Include that it's serviceable by my shop and doesn't cost an arm and leg...SOLD!! What a great product!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just got back from a day of shuttling in Sedona, I rode High Line and a few other smaller trails.
    Lucky!

lets ride
    Lucky!
    well...it's only a short drive away for me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    well...it's only a short drive away for me!
    I am an hour closer than you are, I literally have no excuse!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So tempted to get one of these for my HD3.. Everyone still raving about them? Any reliability issues?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    No issues thus far seems rock solid. Only time will tell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    DVO Topaz-topaz.jpg

I just got the Topaz yesterday with a first ride today. It's insane. The traction I have on my Insurgent with this shock is unbelievable. It's super plush up top with so much mid support, I feel like I have endless travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcentrale View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Topaz.jpg 
Views:	1784 
Size:	296.0 KB 
ID:	1086106

I just got the Topaz yesterday with a first ride today. It's insane. The traction I have on my Insurgent with this shock is unbelievable. It's super plush up top with so much mid support, I feel like I have endless travel.
    I'm waiting for the release of the topaz for the stumpy. So sick and tired of blowing up fox junk. 3 months on 2016 stumpy and the rear fox (expert trim) and it gave up the ghost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Test Icycles
    I'm looking at this shock for my Banshee Spitfire. Keep the reviews coming, so far they've been very positive. Has anyone serviced theirs yet?

mtbr member
    I just got my Topaz mounted up on my Hightower last night and am curious what everyone's settings are with psi, spacers and weight.

I weight 230 geared up and DVO recommended 2 spacers on the negative side and 30% sag. Felt pretty good around the neighborhood but I'll need to see how it is on the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have 6 clicks of rebound, 195psi, one spacer in the negative chamber. I weigh about 170lbs and ride and Intense carbine 27.5.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kpm700 View Post
    I just got my Topaz mounted up on my Hightower last night and am curious what everyone's settings are with psi, spacers and weight.

I weight 230 geared up and DVO recommended 2 spacers on the negative side and 30% sag. Felt pretty good around the neighborhood but I'll need to see how it is on the trail.
    Post pics please!

mtbr member
    Post pics please!
    Will do later tonight! I'm still waiting on some red decals to come in and match my Hightower

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    DVO Topaz-whatsapp-image-2016-08-28-7.36.08-pm.jpg
    Here is mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice this thread needs more of that!

mtbr member
    . I'll be going with a full dvo package on my new riot. Topaz rear diamond fork and dropper

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Nice Canfield, those are great bikes!

mtbr member
    Nice Canfield, those are great bikes!
    Thanks man!! I've been on a epo for a few months just picked up a nimble9 as my single speed and now the riot for the all around fun as hell bike.

mtbr member
    Here's my Hightower. Red decals should be here this week. So far night and day difference from the Monarch and just as good if not better than the Float X I had on my last bike. I need a few more rides to dial it in though.

I'm 230 geared up, running 215 psi, 2 spacers on the negative side and 4 clicks of rebound. I think I need to bump up the psi a bit.

mtbr member
    I've had a topaz on my Nomad for about a month now, loving it so far. I'm about 220lbs with gear. 220psi, 4 clicks rebound from slow and no volume spacers. I tried one spacer on the positive side but the bike felt like it was crack, not bad on smoother flow stuff but overall I liked the more linear feel without it. I noticed some people with VPP putting the spacers on the negative side so I will give that a try. I just did 2 days at mt bachelor bike park with it and it held its own. Great small bump compliance, hugged the ground, and nice pop on jumps. Climbing traction really good too. Coming off the vivid air, which was very good, I'm liking the simplicity and ease of tuning of the Topaz. The Vivid was good at smashing fast DH type trails but the Topaz is on par and better for all around riding for me. The Topaz seems to have breathed new life into the Nomad. I'm still playing around with it but so far so good. Has anyone adjusted the bladder pressure yet ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVO Topaz-20160902_171942.jpg  

Last edited by broccoli rob; 10-12-2016 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Question

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    I've had a topaz on my Nomad for about a month now, loving it so far. I'm about 220lbs with gear.
    That's a really good point- I ALWAYS setup my suspension in my garage and then wonder why I sag another 5% once I get on the trail. I always seem to forget that I strap a 10lb bag of water to my back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hi guys, I'm about buying topaz but I have to know the max diameter of the air can (I have limited room in the frame -Kellys Swag). I couldn't find any shock drawing with dimensions.can You help and measure it?

mtbr member
    Three months on the Topaz in my Giant Trance and it is still great. I haven't needed to open it up but have needed to add more air pressure. It seems like getting my low 20 to 25% sag needs 215 psi or more for me with my 200lbs and gear.

Topaz wish list: I wish it had the sag gradients measured and printed on the shock tube like my old RS Monarch. My calipers are getting a lot more use now.

Big Test Icycles
    Switched to the Topaz on my Spitfire and it completely changed the feel of the bike. I had an XFusion O2 prior to the DVO. The Topaz is super smooth on the small chatter and with two spacers it ramps up nicely on the bigger hits leaving me with about 2-3mm to go. Not to bad seeing that I'm 240 geared up. At 28-30% sag = 250psi with 4 turns out from slow on the rebound. I'm now thinking about a Diamond fork to match it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have been looking at the Topaz, but I'm worried it won't work with my bike. I currently have a 2013 Kona Process with a L/L tune on the shock and was wondering if the Topaz would work. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff so anything helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor426 View Post
    I have been looking at the Topaz, but I'm worried it won't work with my bike. I currently have a 2013 Kona Process with a L/L tune on the shock and was wondering if the Topaz would work. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff so anything helps.
    You will need a de-tune for it to work properly for an l/l tune bike. I have a similar situation and after a conversation with Ronnie I'll be doing a de-tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
    You will need a de-tune for it to work properly for an l/l tune bike. I have a similar situation and after a conversation with Ronnie I'll be doing a de-tune.

Thanks how much does that usually cost? I'm assuming you have to send it in, how is the turnaround time on it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    How do you know if a bike is a L/L tune? - Ibis mojo hd3.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    It was listed on my shock. I have a Rockshox and there is a red and blue box with a M or L on it. Red is rebound and blue is compression. What shock do you have?

mtbr member
    I'm expecting delivery if my topaz and diamond fork tomorrow for my new riot build

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    FYI on the Topaz the bottom of the DVO logo is 30% sag.

Additionally, DVO will help tune your shock before they send it out, however, there is a large range of tuning with the air pressure, bands, resi pressure, and amount of rebound on the shock. This makes it so it's almost universal as a "tune" so to speak.

@Raleighguy29
    In Raleigh NC? Congrats on the new suspension. I'm down in Southern Pines with both as well if you need any tuning help.

Here is my current setup with some custom decals.
    DVO Topaz-img_3631_zpsxgfotoux.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Wow that bike looks fantastic. Love the blue decals. Do they also have other colors? I was considering buying used and my bike has a L/L tune so how would I set up the shock for my bike? I don't know a whole lot about rear suspension since this will only be my second shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    FYI on the Topaz the bottom of the DVO logo is 30% sag.

Additionally, DVO will help tune your shock before they send it out, however, there is a large range of tuning with the air pressure, bands, resi pressure, and amount of rebound on the shock. This makes it so it's almost universal as a "tune" so to speak.

@Raleighguy29
    In Raleigh NC? Congrats on the new suspension. I'm down in Southern Pines with both as well if you need any tuning help.

Here is my current setup with some custom decals.

Name:	IMG_3631_zpsxgfotoux.jpg 
Views:	3832 
Size:	406.9 KB 
ID:	1096397
    I'm up in Indiana but will be down in pisgah at the end of next month to ride and be on vacation

mtbr member

Topaz and diamond have landed

And I've installed the topaz on my riot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone running one of these on a v1 Bronson or 5010?

I'm thinking about replacing my DBAir CS with one of these how you have it setup and how it feels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I got a buddy that did exactly that on his v1 5010. Ccdba to topaz and he's stoked on it. He put it on straight out of the box, set sag and rebound. Evidently it feels better to him although it's obviously less adjustable.

PDB
    SUFD
    Have you guys found a tuning guide anywhere? My Manual didn't include anything detailed, and I haven't found an indepth guide using google on the internet machine.

I'm pretty darn happy with my topaz, but i'm still working on that fine tuning (i'm 95% of the way to an ideal all around base tune, and am 85% of the way to having 2 alternative tunes settled on).
    example - Not entirely sure what the effect of a spacer in the negative air chamber is on compression or rebound. Also wondering if there's some internal adjustments that i'm not aware of also.

Thanks all!
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

mtbr member

First ride on mine tonight just a short 8 miler to shake down my new riot build. I put one band on the positive side aired it up to 250. Just realized I didn't adgust the rebound but it still was awesome. Road it in open mode the whole time. Does anybody but me know about the air pressure in the piggy back

Elitest thrill junkie
    Topaz tuning thread from RM: DVO Topaz? | Ridemonkey Forums
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Ha!
    I rode my Topaz for weeks before realizing I had not pumped up the piggy back aka bladder. It had tons of linear travel under inflated and is much more firm now with 190 psi.

I'm 200lbs when geared up and running 220 psi in the big can and 190 psi in the small one. No need for volume reducers yet. I ride lots of flowy trails with small drops, jumps, and the occasional 40 yd long rock garden on a large 2016 Giant Trance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post

First ride on mine tonight just a short 8 miler to shake down my new riot build. I put one band on the positive side aired it up to 250. Just realized I didn't adgust the rebound but it still was awesome. Road it in open mode the whole time. Does anybody but me know about the air pressure in the piggy back

I have a Topaz on my Riot as well. Im 175 geared up, run 180 in piggyback and 200 in canister.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PDB View Post
    Have you guys found a tuning guide anywhere? My Manual didn't include anything detailed, and I haven't found an indepth guide using google on the internet machine.

I'm pretty darn happy with my topaz, but i'm still working on that fine tuning (i'm 95% of the way to an ideal all around base tune, and am 85% of the way to having 2 alternative tunes settled on).
    example - Not entirely sure what the effect of a spacer in the negative air chamber is on compression or rebound. Also wondering if there's some internal adjustments that i'm not aware of also.

Thanks all!
    My understanding is adding a negative band will allow you to run the same sag with less air pressure and use more travel. So if you arent using full travel with correct sag add band to negative chamber, if you are bottoming out then add band to positive chamber.

mtbr member
    Go to the DVO website, register your purchase, then send them an email with your questions. I've had excellent experiences. They've even called me to discuss my confusion. It was interesting to learn and experience changes in piggyback pressure, which is an option for tuning, but not the preferred main route to change shock performance. I'm pretty low on the learning curve still and just want to ride it more! Ronnie at DVO emailed me the Topaz service manual which I could not find online. It shows step by step pictures and instructions to change oil and seals. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBored View Post
    Go to the DVO website, register your purchase, then send them an email with your questions. I've had excellent experiences. They've even called me to discuss my confusion. It was interesting to learn and experience changes in piggyback pressure, which is an option for tuning, but not the preferred main route to change shock performance. I'm pretty low on the learning curve still and just want to ride it more! Ronnie at DVO emailed me the Topaz service manual which I could not find online. It shows step by step pictures and instructions to change oil and seals. Ride on!
    This, I had a response within hours last time, when I had a setup question.

mtbr member
    47 miles and 2674 feet climbed today on my dvo diamond and topaz and both performed flawlessly. Can't imagine ever going back to fox.

mtbr member
    Have about 7 rides on the Topaz and absolutely love this shock. Mounted on a Yeti SB95, I set the sag and am just using all the travel on my rides, perfect. The sensitivity of this shock is unbelievable, not only is it way more plush than the Fox float ctd and Manitou McCloud it replaced but doesn't blow through its travel like the fox and has plenty of mid travel support and pop.
    The traction on the climbs is probably the most surprising aspect. In lose, steep rocky accents where I normally have to be on my game while standing and grinding this thing hugs the ground and tractors up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So I got my Topaz this week for my v1 Bronson CC. I used to run a DBAir CS, but it's crapped the bed too many times and it always seems to get soft about 300-400 miles after the last rebuild. I mean, REALLY soft, like pedaling jello. I've already had to do two rebuilds this year.

I decided to give the Topaz a shot, hoping it would be more reliable but feel as good as the DBAir when the rebuild is done. The lack of LSC and HSR worried me some, but the other adjustments seemed interesting.

For starters, the way it arrived was just awesome, I've never had any other bike parts arrive so well packaged. It appears to be a handgun case with their logo on it, but all the foam cutouts inside were really a nice touch and the pump works really well.

I had been in touch with DVO about how to set it up for my bike a few days beforehand, they recommended 2 volume spacers on the positive side, 3 clicks of rebound, ~230psi in the main chamber and ~190psi in the bladder.

My mounting hardware arrived a day late (UGH, not from DVO, from someone else), but I got everything installed and aired it up. The first thing I noticed is that the bladder has a very low volume, if you pump it to the correct PSI, then attach another pump to check the pressure, you are going to lose about 20-30 psi in the process due to the air filling the pump and gauge. I asked them to make sure this wasn't an issue with the valve on my shock and they said that is normal.

I got it all set up and went for a quick ride around the neighborhood (it was getting dark). I noticed, upon returning, that the main chamber appears to have had some grease blow out around the main seal. There was also some loss in air pressure. I was a little worried the seal was messed up, but it ended up eventually stopping and the shock holds air fine. I asked about it anyway (I'm about to goto NC for 2 weeks and wanted to have my ducks in a row) and they said sometimes that happens when it's new, but it should normalize with no more grease and no more pressure loss. He also indicated the pressure loss was likely a result of the positive and negative chambers equalizing. That was my experience, because it hasn't been a problem since the first day riding it around the neighborhood.

At any rate, I got out on the trail yesterday to see how it felt and I really got on it. I don't normally do drops and jumps, but I wanted to cycle it as much as I could and I really pounded it to make sure the seal issue we discussed before was no longer a problem. It wasn't and the shock felt great.

On the trail, the bike feels so much more responsive and stiffer. I can get up and pound on the pedals, feeling almost an instant response, where before it was much more sluggish. The bike overall feels like it has a lot more support all the way through the stroke of the shock and the bike's travel range. In pedaling and pumping, I get much faster and more efficient responses from the bike than I did on the DBAir (except shortly after rebuild).

It does feel like it gives up a little bit of plushness from the DBAir, but not much. My DBAir had also "gone soft" in the last few weeks and that's probably why, so it's not a great comparison.

In the middle compression setting, it does feel a lot harsher than wide open and I noticed on some technical climbs, I lost traction in a few areas I normally didn't. The climb setting is super stiff, probably too much so for this bike. In wide open, it feels really close to the DBAir and is still more supportive throughout the stroke, I don't feel like it's wallowing around in it's travel. I could probably run it wide open most of the time and it not be a problem, the trail setting seems more efficient for general trail riding, even though you give up some plushness.

I rode a technical and semi-steep descent with it yesterday down a short DH race course that was set up for a coming race. It's nothing super technical (maybe intermediate level), but it had a mix of drops (built and natural), rollers, and a pretty nice rock garden. I rolled everything, but the shock performed really well and I never felt like I was lacking in braking traction or plushness.

The real test will be next week, I'm going to be in Brevard and riding Pisgah and Dupont. It'll be a wide range of longish descents, some smooth and some technical, which I think will really give me a better idea of how well it performs.

All in all, I'm happy with it and I'm considering replacing my Pike with a Diamond.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Glad you are enjoying it. That bit of grease with the shock is normal and nothing to worry about. I think when you ride in western NC, you will be quite happy with the shock. Been on mine since the thread started on two different frames and it's still going strong with zero breakaway resistance

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Here's my Hightower. Red decals should be here this week. So far night and day difference from the Monarch and just as good if not better than the Float X I had on my last bike. I need a few more rides to dial it in though.

I'm 230 geared up, running 215 psi, 2 spacers on the negative side and 4 clicks of rebound. I think I need to bump up the psi a bit.

I am confused regarding the volume spacers, in some videos DVO recomends for VPP bikes 1-2 spacers in positive side, in some 1-2 in negative?

If i got it right, if you put the spacers in the positive side, you prevent bottom out.
    If you put spacers in negative side, the firs part of the travel will be harder?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    putting spacers in the negative side reduces the amount of air pressure you need for a given sag and means it doesnt ramp up so much at the end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just got mine set up on my E29 (using a bikeyoke) a few days ago, in time for a 32-mile epic ride. Seriously couldn't be happier. I cleaned several rocky/loose climbs that would have been a problem on my CCDBACS. Downhill was smoooooth like butter.

I was a little worried about losing all the adjustments on the CCDBA but the Topaz was instantly as good as the DBAir ever was. The DVO guys were really helpful in getting it initially set up, too.

Currently running a Fox 36 up front and it's a perfect match for it, but definitely will be getting a Diamond next time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Ha!
    I rode my Topaz for weeks before realizing I had not pumped up the piggy back aka bladder. It had tons of linear travel under inflated and is much more firm now with 190 psi.

I'm 200lbs when geared up and running 220 psi in the big can and 190 psi in the small one. No need for volume reducers yet. I ride lots of flowy trails with small drops, jumps, and the occasional 40 yd long rock garden on a large 2016 Giant Trance.
    Hey MountainBored, may I ask you which size of Topaz you installed in your Trance? (200x57 or 200x51) ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrealoverde View Post
    Hey MountainBored, may I ask you which size of Topaz you installed in your Trance? (200x57 or 200x51) ?
    I chose the 200x51, as I did not want to drop the bike any lower because where I ride I already have to avoid pedal strikes on rocks. I also still have the stock 140mm RS Sektor Gold front shock fork, and didn't want to go with more travel in the rear vs. front.

Now I am saving $$$ for a 160mm DVO fork to get more travel and laid-back front geo. Then, a 200x57 DVO Jade for those big mountain trips with lift service! Coil springs are awesome, but too heavy and heavy duty for 90% of my normal riding.

mtbr member
    What psi is recommended in the bladder?

mtbr member
    What psi is recommended in the bladder?
    170-200

Team _________

mtbr member
    Lol.. Good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
    170-200

mtbr member
    I chose the 200x51, as I did not want to drop the bike any lower because where I ride I already have to avoid pedal strikes on rocks. I also still have the stock 140mm RS Sektor Gold front shock fork, and didn't want to go with more travel in the rear vs. front.

Now I am saving $$$ for a 160mm DVO fork to get more travel and laid-back front geo. Then, a 200x57 DVO Jade for those big mountain trips with lift service! Coil springs are awesome, but too heavy and heavy duty for 90% of my normal riding.
    I have the diamond and topaz combo on my riot and it's awesome

mtbr member
    how do the Topaz mix with progressive leverage rates, where a coil shock would be the best match? does it feel like a large volume air shock or a small volume one? would it give excessive end stroke ramp?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Just got mine set up on my E29 (using a bikeyoke) a few days ago, in time for a 32-mile epic ride. Seriously couldn't be happier. I cleaned several rocky/loose climbs that would have been a problem on my CCDBACS. Downhill was smoooooth like butter.

I was a little worried about losing all the adjustments on the CCDBA but the Topaz was instantly as good as the DBAir ever was. The DVO guys were really helpful in getting it initially set up, too.

Currently running a Fox 36 up front and it's a perfect match for it, but definitely will be getting a Diamond next time.
    Glad to hear more CCDBA conversion stories. I feel a bit odd moving from such a nice adjustable shock to one with a lot less adjustment and keep thinking there is something I was missing on the DBAir setup, but the Topaz just feels awesome all around.

mtbr member

Have to say the dvo suspension on the riot is a match made in heaven

mtbr member
    So how often do you all hit the shock with more air?
    On any other (Fox/RS) shock?
    On your DVO Topaz?

Mine needs more air monthly...it just seems to get too saggy. So, I top it off.
    I pump it back to 220 psi with the DVO shock pump included with the Topaz, and am good to go! But, just wondering if this is normal....

...In the meantime.
    I just installed a Topaz on my Transition Smuggler. I replaced the stock Rockshox Monarch RT3. I have to say that the Topaz is way more responsive. For reference I set the shock up similar to my RT3 with two volume spacers in the positive side of the air-can. I weigh about 175lbs. with my equipment and I'm running 4 clicks of rebound, 175 PSI in the main chamber and 170 PSI in the reservoir, which got me to about %30 sag.

This thing is almost disconcertingly supple, it is so smooth and requires almost no effort to get it moving. This thing smooths out the smallest judder bumps and gobbles up the biggest hits all the while allowing the rear wheel to track with out issues.

The Topaz is a noticeable upgrade from the RT3.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilBkr View Post
    I just installed a Topaz on my Transition Smuggler. I replaced the stock Rockshox Monarch RT3. I have to say that the Topaz is way more responsive. For reference I set the shock up similar to my RT3 with two volume spacers in the positive side of the air-can. I weigh about 175lbs. with my equipment and I'm running 4 clicks of rebound, 175 PSI in the main chamber and 170 PSI in the reservoir, which got me to about %30 sag.

This thing is almost disconcertingly supple, it is so smooth and requires almost no effort to get it moving. This thing smooths out the smallest judder bumps and gobbles up the biggest hits all the while allowing the rear wheel to track with out issues.

The Topaz is a noticeable upgrade from the RT3.
    I'm having similar experiences on my scout. I put in 3 spacers on the positive side. Post up a picture of that Smuggler man!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Have to say the dvo suspension on the riot is a match made in heaven
    How is your Diamond setup for riding in Pisgah?

Now that I have the Topaz and like it so much, I'm thinking about going with a Diamond up front. I'm curious what your settings are for riding up here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    How is your Diamond setup for riding in Pisgah?

Now that I have the Topaz and like it so much, I'm thinking about going with a Diamond up front. I'm curious what your settings are for riding up here.
    I set it up with the base settings in the manual and I've tweaked it a little from there I'm 200-220 geared up depending on where I'm riding. All I know is the dvo blows away the pike I've had before and the pike is a great fork but the dvo stuff is just so smooth. Pedaling platform on the topaz is amazing. I run it in wide open all the time never found a reason to flip the switch with the riot to trail or climb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey all, can anyone explain what adding more/less psi to the piggyback on the topaz? Also is there some rule of thumb to follow, like 200psi in the shock, how much would be in the piggyback?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

I pump it back to 220 psi with the DVO shock pump included with the Topaz, and am good to go! But, just wondering if this is normal....
    I would contact DVO and explain what is going on. I haven't had to re-air my Topaz ever, that's in the almost year I have been riding it. I'll hit it with a few psi or lower it pending my weight i'm riding at or type of terrain (think bike park versus trail) but I almost never touch it.

Adding more or less psi to the piggyback helps with progressiveness and those high speed compression hits as it's affecting the bladder there that is compressed.

mtbr member
    I have 210psi in the shock and 175psi in the piggy back. World of difference.

mtbr member
    So how often do you all hit the shock with more air?
    On any other (Fox/RS) shock?
    On your DVO Topaz?

I also have to keep airing my Topaz up . It drops about 10psi . I love the shock but a little annoying.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Mine leaks too. I have to pump mine up every few rides, as Chromag said... its annoying. Also seems to leak more grease than it should but otherwise works like a dream.

The dark side is quicker

Any ride updates??? Settings, etc? Im also about 230 geared up.

I got my Hightower about a 2 weeks ago, and really looking to upgrade the shock.
    "The Truth is Absolution."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'll update my prior posts on this. I replaced my DBAir CS with a Topaz about a month or so ago, then went for a two week working vacation in Brevard, NC to do some riding. I ended up with about 120 miles up there in the two weeks (That's a lot for me, I am a noob and recovering from 8yrs of sedentary lifestyle), some in Pisgah, some in Dupont, and some in Bent Creek.

On the climbs, locking it out makes the back end really stiff, it still blows out on bigger hits, but I've noticed it really helps on the fire road climbs, which is really nice. The climb switch on the DBAir CS would provide a little more firmness, but nowhere near what the DVO does.

On the smoother DH trails (Hilltop, Hooker Creek, Ridgeline, etc), the bike felt really responsive. It felt like it cornered better, pumping provided almost an instant response, and traction was never an issue. I never felt like it was wallowing around in the travel when it hit a brake bump or small root at speed like the DBAir did sometimes. Overall, awesome.

On the more technical trails (Black, Bennett, Cedar, Burnt, etc), the shock seemed to provide the same support, but still be plush when it needed to be. I didn't feel like it was overly harsh (e.g. CTD) on repeated small impacts, although it did seem to sacrifice a little bit of plushness over the DBAir, although not enough that it was really a problem or beyond slightly noticeable.

On both DHs and climbs, I cleared sections I'd never been able to clear before, so there is that also.

I will add that the "Trail" setting does seem fairly harsh going downhill with any speed, I can tell a tangible difference between trail and open, it feels like a wide change. I've found that the middle setting seems to work well for technical climbs or trails that are more up and down, although I could probably run it wide open without an issue and it still be more supportive than the DBAir.

Probably one of the best upgrades I've made to my bike. The fact it's user serviceable is awesome, I am tired of sending my DBAir back to Cane Creek, only to have it need to be rebuild again 3-4 months later.

I wanted to buy a Diamond, but I run a DHF 2.5 WT up front and it seems like tire clearance is an issue with anything over 2.4

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm on a DHF wt 2.5 and it fits fine. With a lot of sticky mud it could be a problem though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Boost version has a lot more room in the arch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Does anyone know if it possible to make the Topaz in the climb mode firmer? Something like Fox Float X Evol

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I also have to keep airing my Topaz up . It drops about 10psi . I love the shock but a little annoying.
    Just a question to those who are saying it's dropping 10 psi. What are you measuring when you hook the pump back up? 10 psi from what you left it at last time...? May sound simple, but just remember that when you hook up your shock pump you will generally drop about 10 psi to charge the pump line and the pump gauge. May sound simple, but it's something often overlooked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What he said ^

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Can someone compare it to

Mcleod
    Monarch plus
    Vector air
    Or
    BOS kirk?

Would be interesting to hear judgements .i had vector coil and air, Bit only a bos vipr. But someone told me,he liked the kirk far more than the vevtor air.seemed to be a large upgrade.
    So on which place can the topaz be set between the others?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just a question to those who are saying it's dropping 10 psi. What are you measuring when you hook the pump back up? 10 psi from what you left it at last time...? May sound simple, but just remember that when you hook up your shock pump you will generally drop about 10 psi to charge the pump line and the pump gauge. May sound simple, but it's something often overlooked.
    This applies to the bladder also, although to a larger extent, I want to say it dropped 25-30 psi when I hooked it up to check the pressure.

That said, I'm dropping in sag over time. After about a month, my sag increased about 2-3mm and I had to add more pressure in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Compared to Monarch plus it is pretty similar, but I feel like it's more refined in production and in its action. But even if all other things were equal DVO's customer service is out of this world. On that alone I would choose their products over anything else out there.

mtbr member
    I'm having similar experiences on my scout. I put in 3 spacers on the positive side. Post up a picture of that Smuggler man!
    Compared to Monarch plus it is pretty similar, but I feel like it's more refined in production and in its action. But even if all other things were equal DVO's customer service is out of this world. On that alone I would choose their products over anything else out there.
    Did you have a RT3 or Monarch Plus on your Scout. Care to elaborate a little more on the differences between the Rock Shox and the DVO?

I have the RT3 on my Scout and I am constantly flipping the lever, I feel like I need a setting between open and middle. The shock also blows through the mid stroke too fast in the high speed rocks and gets overwhelmed in the chatter.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Did you have a RT3 or Monarch Plus on your Scout. Care to elaborate a little more on the differences between the Rock Shox and the DVO?

I have the RT3 on my Scout and I am constantly flipping the lever, I feel like I need a setting between open and middle. The shock also blows through the mid stroke too fast in the high speed rocks and gets overwhelmed in the chatter.
    Yeah I had the stock rt3 on my scout for a while and I had the same thing. I'd use all the travel on medium sized chunk and some of the g-outs I'd blow through it and bottom out in a bad way. Once I damn near broke both ankles on a particularly rough one.

So enter the topaz. I've used full travel on it but never noticed it, it feels much more composed in all situations. Never felt the need to hit the damping switch. I can't recommend it enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hi, can you share this service manual??

Thank's!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone find the source of the air pressure loss? I'm having the same problem, it's losing ~10psi every 2 weeks or so. We've had a lot of temperature variations the last few weeks, but I've never had that cause a variation in suspension, though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Any word on if the Topaz is going to be offered in metric sizing in the near future?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone find the source of the air pressure loss? I'm having the same problem, it's losing ~10psi every 2 weeks or so. We've had a lot of temperature variations the last few weeks, but I've never had that cause a variation in suspension, though.
    Sounds like you need to call DVO. There's always someone helpful there and they have the BEST customer service. Nobody on this forum will be able to help you like they can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Has somebody been able to compare the performance of the jade vs topaz? Great Performance difference?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scrat64 View Post
    Hi, can you share this service manual??

Thank's!
    Hi,

i would also like to ask you for the service manual if possible

thanks!

mtbr member
    Me Too.
    I registered my shock with DVO and send them an email re suspension set up and requesting a copy of the service manual. They responded to my suspension question but no service manual. I emailled again requesting a copy but have not received a response.
    Last edited by voob; 11-28-2016 at 09:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    Me Too.
    I registered my shock with DVO and send them an email re suspension set up and requesting a copy of the service manual. They responded to my suspension question but no service manual. I emailled again requesting a copy but have not received a response.
    Thats my experience ,Too. sometimes quick, sometimes never ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yea, they were really responsive for a while, but have been kindof slow responding the last two weeks. Last week was Thanksgiving, so I can't fault them for that, maybe they are catching up?

mtbr member

Smile

Yea, they were really responsive for a while, but have been kindof slow responding the last two weeks. Last week was Thanksgiving, so I can't fault them for that, maybe they are catching up?
    I have a Topaz and got the manual off DVO a few months ago. I've uploaded it into a hightail folder for a few days if you want to download it. I assume sooner or later it will be on their site.

Enjoy

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/tnSYp

mtbr member
    Thanks so much, download worked perfectly. Saved me having to contact DVO although my shock has been performing flawlessly, its nice to have the manual for future service.

mtbr member
    Thank You

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh tracks View Post
    I have a Topaz and got the manual off DVO a few months ago. I've uploaded it into a hightail folder for a few days if you want to download it. I assume sooner or later it will be on their site.

Enjoy

Thank's!

mtbr member
    Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by scrat64 View Post
    Thank's!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesostris View Post
    Thanks so much, download worked perfectly. Saved me having to contact DVO although my shock has been performing flawlessly, its nice to have the manual for future service.
    No problem, glad to be of help.

Must be a few Topaz's needing some service love, 24 downloads in 24 hours!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    thanks so much for posting the service manual. I put together a Banshee Spitfire back in July, and while the Topaz is performing great and showing no signs of any problems, it's probably time to service.
    while reading this thread i've realized I have not added any air to the piggyback reservoir, and my current setup is as follows on the Spitfire: 142psi in main chamber, 1 volume spacer in positive side.
    I have experienced a few bottom-outs on bigger hits (4ft to flat type drops) but otherwise the shock and bike are fantastic. Super curious if it will be even better once I set the piggyback chamber. I feel like an idiot for riding an incomplete setup for so long, but I'm stoked to go home and redo all my settings and go ride! And honestly it rides really well as is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    How do folks feel about the "poppyness" of the Topaz in comparison to their previous shock (particularly if you're on a VPP bike). I want to upgrade my Fox CTD and having read everything I can find on the Topaz, I'm pretty sure that it will be more supple at the bigging and bottom out less. I don't want to lose the poppyness in between though. It's the one thing I like about the Fox.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Update on my new settings: its incredible. I thought the ride and traction were great prior to this (came from a Remedy w fox rp23, and the Spitty is way more planted). Adding the correct pressure in the bladder just made it so stuck to the ground, but also still poppy when you precompress to do a jump or something. Small bump and midstroke are so plush and traction is insane, but when you push hard into the travel you can still hop.
    Im still messing w settings, but im suoer pleased at my current one, which was an educated guess.
    Spitfire is a low leverage design, so my psi's are lowish.
    Im 195lbs fully geared up and im running 175 in main chamber and 170 in the bladder with two volume reducers on the positive side and one on the negative. 2 clicks of rebound.
    I may up the main pressure a bit and dial in more rebound just to mess around but i hucked the 4ft drop that i had been bottoming on and it was nowhere close to bottoming now and is at about 30%sag.
    No question id buy this shock again over the fox ones ive been on. Guys are great when you call with questions and the rebuilds and tuning arent too complicated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpersonal View Post
    Update on my new settings: its incredible. I thought the ride and traction were great prior to this (came from a Remedy w fox rp23, and the Spitty is way more planted). Adding the correct pressure in the bladder just made it so stuck to the ground, but also still poppy when you precompress to do a jump or something. Small bump and midstroke are so plush and traction is insane, but when you push hard into the travel you can still hop.
    Im still messing w settings, but im suoer pleased at my current one, which was an educated guess.
    Spitfire is a low leverage design, so my psi's are lowish.
    Im 195lbs fully geared up and im running 175 in main chamber and 170 in the bladder with two volume reducers on the positive side and one on the negative. 2 clicks of rebound.
    I may up the main pressure a bit and dial in more rebound just to mess around but i hucked the 4ft drop that i had been bottoming on and it was nowhere close to bottoming now and is at about 30%sag.
    No question id buy this shock again over the fox ones ive been on. Guys are great when you call with questions and the rebuilds and tuning arent too complicated.
    Im about your sized geared up and I'm running 210psi in the main and 170psi in the blabber with 2 volume reducers on the positive side . I think I might try 1 in the negative side like you have.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Stuff ive read says adding to the negative side makes it stay higher in the travel. That may be why im ok at this lower pressure. Im gonna mess around with it yet, but im real happy with it as is.

mtbr member
    I'm about to receive a Topaz to replace my CCDB Inline which replaced my Jade on my DVO Edition Tracer 275c. I never got the Jade to feel good on the Tracer and I had an almost new Cane Creek Inline sitting around, so I experimented with it compared to the Jade and never looked back. Lighter, plusher, faster and more accurate.

The Cane Creek is long overdue for service, so I worked a deal to swap the barely-used Jade for a fairly priced Topaz. Reading this entire thread, I am pretty stoked, although I have much anxiety about how many volume reducers to use on which side, how much air to put in the piggyback and main can and such. People talk about Cane Creek as being complicated - the Topaz sounds like something that will take quite a while to dial in. But it also sounds like it works great even not completely dialed. I'm a little concerned about the stories of leaking air, but I have DVO's phone number, and they answer.

Any recommendations for initial settings? Xl Tracer T275, rider 215 with pack. Aggressive rocky and fast terrain. Small drops 4' or less.

mtbr member
    Hi all
    I've hosted the topaz manual for downloads for a week. Heaps of downloads which is great. I have to pull it off tomorrow, so last chance to get it from here, otherwise talk to DVO.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    Any recommendations for initial settings? Xl Tracer T275, rider 215 with pack. Aggressive rocky and fast terrain. Small drops 4' or less.
    I just put one on my Carbine 29 and right now I am using the following settings:
    riding weight 190-195lbs - Shock 190psi - Bladder 180psi - 2 volume spacers on positive side (I will be trying 1 next ride) - 1 spacer on the negative side - 2-3 clicks of rebound.
    I am riding large volume 2.4 tires and air pressure plays a role in the shock feel so take that into consideration too.

It replaced a blown Inline that I was never fully happy with but was an improvement over the stock fox. So far the Topaz is an improvement but I have a Fox X2 on another Intense bike and really like it. I am hoping to get the Topaz to feel similar.

mtbr member
    1st ride today. 220psi in the main can, 190ish? in the small can. No volume reducer bands. XL Tracer T275c. 205lb rider - unkitted - but I always wear a hydration pack, usually with too much water.

My trial run included five descents in the hills of Laguna, which are often very rocky, steep and fast with some small (2-4') high speed drops and ledges.

All I can say is - i didn't notice anything. And that is very high praise. I consider myself a suspension snob, and I am disappointed if a piece of suspension does not feel plush over little trail chatter, or if it dives, bounces, bottoms, tops, bobs or gets easily deflected. The Topaz was silent. Trail chatter was a non issue. Foot-deep holes at speed - no problem. 3 ft. drops to flat - we got this.

The trail mode wasn't all that noticeable, but the climb mode worked great. I expected it to be too firm and not allow the rear to track the rough stuff. It let the bike settle a little into its travel, and seemed to track the ground very well. This was a notable improvement over the Cane Creek Climb Switch.

The only adjustment I made was adding 5 psi in the main can and two more clicks of rebound damping (5 clicks in).

My only complaints are minor ergonomics - the detents on the rebound dial are not strong enough to feel, and the three position switch is a little vague feeling too. Minor and inconsequential.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    joining thread

mtbr member
    1st ride today. 220psi in the main can, 190ish? in the small can. No volume reducer bands. XL Tracer T275c. 205lb rider - unkitted - but I always wear a hydration pack, usually with too much water.
    I think more people should ride their Topaz with no volume reducer bands. I am, and I find it nicely progressive already - BUT I am not chucking/hucking/dropping that much.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm similar weight on a Giant Trance (2016) and have upped to 230psi just because I like it a little firm for corner-outs and climbs during the downhills I ride, and for the long climbs to get there. It's still plush through the rock gardens so all is good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great thread! Have a question if I may. Would the Topaz be a sensible upgrade from the stock Fox on a 2011 Yeti 575? Was looking at a Monarch as I'm running Pikes up front but this shock can be had locally at a good price and being newer in age to the Mon was thinking might be the go! I'm ~230lb geared up.

lets ride
    I'm roughly 230 lbs geared up as well and run a Pike up front and they match well together. I have one band in the negative side and run about 230 psi in the main chamber and 170 in the piggyback and about half way through the rebound...been messing around with that a little though to see if I can dial it a little more, but I am happy with how it performs. I haven't had any issues with my shock handling my weight or horrible line choices and hucks to flat....you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quick question about the Topaz

I have a 2016 SC 5010...the website says its 200mm eye to eye, 51mm stroke

On DVO's site, it says it's offered in 200mmx51mm

but on their amazon store it says 200mmx50mm

Is this the same measurement?...I assume so, but just wanted to check before i order

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Same difference

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Same difference
    cool...i figured

just wanted to check

mtbr member
    Third ride today (XL Tracer 275c - DVO). I added one band to the negative side. Seems pretty perfect right about now. Still invisible when the going gets rowdy - and that's a great thing. On little stuff, it's delightfully supple, even in the "trail" mode. I'm pretty pleased - and as I've said, I am a suspension snob.

SISSIF
    Having some frame clearance issues with an X2 at the shoulder of the aircan(shaft end), 57mm dia. Wonder if one of you guys could tell me the diameter of the Topaz aircan so I could tell if that might be a better fit option. Thx.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Question about the sizing.. My bike should have a 200x57 shock. But the topaz I purchased seems to say 200x51/57? How can it be both?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Magic

The Fastest of Bananas
    Maybe its an internal setting amd uses the same body

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The Fastest of Bananas
    Def different sizes when you order though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Pressure loss possibility

I found this issue after adding volume spacers. I took the shock off the bike and cleaned thoroughly all the surfaces and regreased the o-ring. Pressure stayed constant again for months. I have since changed the volume spacers (this time with shock on the bike) and it leaks again so I am checking and adding pressure before each ride. I'm presuming if i do the same as before it will resolve it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Fitzgerald View Post
    Question about the sizing.. My bike should have a 200x57 shock. But the topaz I purchased seems to say 200x51/57? How can it be both?

I believe the 200mm eye to eye size has internally adjustable stroke length between 51 and 57mm. They're just set at the factory in different sizes, hence the difference when ordering. IIRC

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Subbing - currently have the topaz on a trance 2015 Medium (200x57). 3 bands in positive 1 band in negative and i love it!

Previously had a DBInline. maybe it's my lack in tuning the thing (i did lots of research and played around with it) but the DB was definitely better than stock, however nothing close to the Topaz. I ride local trails and flowy track runs on whistler, but the DBinline couldn't keep up after 20 mins of riding.

Also I had pressure "leak" every time I rode my bike eg. my sag went from 20 to 30% and I would have to increase pressure. I haven't tried cleaning the seals but upon reading the installation guide, once everything is setup on your bike, it mentioned something about adjusting the bladder PSI along with the main chamber PSI before riding. This is something I overlooked which may have caused the "leak" in the main chamber as PSI needed to equalize between the negative which is affected by the bladder PSI also.

Moving the topaz over to a Reign 2015 Medium Frame in the next couple of weeks, but most likely won't be able to give insights until weather warms up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey all, that is the 2nd reference I've seen to adding bands in the positive and negative.
    I've currently got 3 bands in the positive, none in the negative.
    Though I am finding I am blowing through the midrange a bit too easily I think.
    Would adding an additional band to the positive side help this?
    Thanks
    Joel

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hey all, that is the 2nd reference I've seen to adding bands in the positive and negative.
    I've currently got 3 bands in the positive, none in the negative.
    Though I am finding I am blowing through the midrange a bit too easily I think.
    Would adding an additional band to the positive side help this?
    Thanks
    Joel
    there was a post on FB from Dvo along with a graph of adding bands in the negative:

Here's a tech tip on the effect of adding negative bands or volume reducers to the negative side of the Topaz air can. As you can see in the graph the initial part of the travel becomes more supported then transitions nicely into the mid stroke. This would work well on leverage curves that start off high or more linear bikes.

The graphic shows that the more band you put in the negative, the less force is needed to engage the first 20mm of the stroke. The force of negative bands becomes the same as no bands in mid stroke 27mm onwards. It didn't show any information on bands on the positive but since we know it's for bottom out resistance, on a graph you can imagine that it will take more force to engage the last 35mm+ stroke.

Maybe i am wrong but from understanding this, bands in either positive or negative won't affect mid stroke significantly, so to solve your situation:

1) Add more PSI - this will increase the overall force to engage in any part of the stroke.
    2) Add a band to negative - this will decrease the force to engage first stroke. This also helps with setting ur sag
    3) Remove a band or 2 in positive - this will retain your current force for the end stroke to engage.

mtbr member
    Last edited by voob; 01-05-2017 at 07:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thank you!

The Fastest of Bananas
    In case anyone is interested, the 50, and 57mm stroke shocks, are physically the same. Just a addition/removal of a nylon spacer converts it. Confirmed by a DVO tech, just figured it may help someone out.

That said, a custom stroke between 50 and 57, is totally possible with some sanding, or a 3D printer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Does anyone ride it in a transition patrol and can report in it?

Smuggler would be interesting as well.

THX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jado View Post
    I found this issue after adding volume spacers. I took the shock off the bike and cleaned thoroughly all the surfaces and regreased the o-ring. Pressure stayed constant again for months. I have since changed the volume spacers (this time with shock on the bike) and it leaks again so I am checking and adding pressure before each ride. I'm presuming if i do the same as before it will resolve it.
    Just following up on this. I managed to clean the o rings and re-grease them, and now the shock holds pressure perfectly - even after a few weeks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I pick up my new Hightower Saturday

Do you need separate mounting hardware for the DVO? If so, where did you get it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinciSean View Post

Do you need separate mounting hardware for the DVO? If so, where did you get it?
    Nice! Congrats man!

I got the mounting hardware directly though DVO. Just call them up and they'll get you taken care of.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey thanks, not use to that level of customer engagement! Was just on their site and they have all the parts there, very impressed.

One last question, where did you source the custom decals for the Topaz (I didn't see those on the site)?

Nice! Congrats man!

I got the mounting hardware directly though DVO. Just call them up and they'll get you taken care of.

mtbr member
    Hey thanks, not use to that level of customer engagement! Was just on their site and they have all the parts there, very impressed.

One last question, where did you source the custom decals for the Topaz (I didn't see those on the site)?
    I ordered my decals from invisiframe:

http://www.invisiframe.co.uk/DVO-REA...O-TOPAZ-T3-AIR

I've been super happy with them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

I used the same mounting hardware on my 5010 that came with the Fox shock...it works with the DVO too

I also ordered my custom graphic from Invisiframe....shipped out pretty quick, and their customer service is great

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone had the opportunity to test out the difference between DVO topaz and Jade on the same bike and could feel a real difference besides weight and which ?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bansaiman View Post
    Anyone had the opportunity to test out the difference between DVO topaz and Jade on the same bike and could feel a real difference besides weight and which ?
    Cheers
    I haven't had the chance yet but as soon as it drys out around here enough I'm going to demo a jade on my riot just to see how it feels compared to the topaz.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I haven't had the chance yet but as soon as it drys out around here enough I'm going to demo a jade on my riot just to see how it feels compared to the topaz.

As someone wants to trade his topaz against my jade I only have time to friday to decide : -D could you pleeeeease Do me a favor and get to ride the next days till thursday. I really would be thankful :-)
    Especially nice is the possibility to add neg spacers to lower initial force and add midsupport

mtbr member
    Cheers
    I have ridden both on my DVO Edition Intense Tracer 275c. I had experience with coil shocks on my DH bikes and was looking forward to the plushness of the Jade. It never happened. I am pretty good at dialing in pre-load, rebound, compression and other settings to get things right for me. In 6 rides, I was not happy. I've never had a coil shock on a bike I intended to climb on (a trail bike) so I found myself running too much rebound damping to keep it from bobbing while climbing. It was skittery and easily overwhelmed on high speed descents through foot-deep holes and braking bumps. Probably because of the rebound setting.

After 6 rides, I decided to experiment with my Cane Creek Inline that I had which happened to have the right dimensions. Other than instantly dropping a pound of weight, it was more plush and climbed better. The bike was no longer overwhelmed on descents, and was a lot more solid climbing than with the coil Jade.

I now have a Topaz on it. It's perfect. As plush as the Cane Creek, but it will not overheat. The three-position switch offers much better climbing support than the CC climb switch, while still allowing travel for uphill traction. After 12 serious rides, really testing the shock through rock gardens, 3-4' drops, high speed chop, slow speed steeps with significant rock roll downs and even some flowy, bermy trails, what I can say is - the shock "disappears." I never notice it - and that's extremely high praise from a picky suspension snob.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have ridden both on my DVO Edition Intense Tracer 275c. I had experience with coil shocks on my DH bikes and was looking forward to the plushness of the Jade. It never happened. I am pretty good at dialing in pre-load, rebound, compression and other settings to get things right for me. In 6 rides, I was not happy. I've never had a coil shock on a bike I intended to climb on (a trail bike) so I found myself running too much rebound damping to keep it from bobbing while climbing. It was skittery and easily overwhelmed on high speed descents through foot-deep holes and braking bumps. Probably because of the rebound setting.

After 6 rides, I decided to experiment with my Cane Creek Inline that I had which happened to have the right dimensions. Other than instantly dropping a pound of weight, it was more plush and climbed better. The bike was no longer overwhelmed on descents, and was a lot more solid climbing than with the coil Jade.

I now have a Topaz on it. It's perfect. As plush as the Cane Creek, but it will not overheat. The three-position switch offers much better climbing support than the CC climb switch, while still allowing travel for uphill traction. After 12 serious rides, really testing the shock through rock gardens, 3-4' drops, high speed chop, slow speed steeps with significant rock roll downs and even some flowy, bermy trails, what I can say is - the shock "disappears." I never notice it - and that's extremely high praise from a picky suspension snob.

1)My jade, of course, offers great Support in the mids. How does the topaz compare in that Department?

2)did you have enough sag with the jade?

mtbr member
    1)My jade, of course, offers great Support in the mids. How does the topaz compare in that Department?

2)did you have enough sag with the jade?
    I had plenty of sag on the Jade. I weigh 215lbs with hydro pack.

Mid stroke support is as much a function of suspension design and leverage curves as it is shock design. My generation of VPP on my Tracer was notorious for having a hole in the mid stroke. It feels pretty supportive and progressive in the mid-stroke to me, with the Topaz. I don't bottom out, and it's plush all the way through the stroke. 225 psi in main can, 185-190 in little can. One band in negative side.

I'm very satisfied. Of course, i just got my rebuilt CC DBi back from Cane Creek, and they put a black stanchion on it. Mmmmmm.... temptation. I still think the Topaz with its remote reservoir and better climb switch is a better match for my Tracer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I had plenty of sag on the Jade. I weigh 215lbs with hydro pack.

Mid stroke support is as much a function of suspension design and leverage curves as it is shock design. My generation of VPP on my Tracer was notorious for having a hole in the mid stroke. It feels pretty supportive and progressive in the mid-stroke to me, with the Topaz. I don't bottom out, and it's plush all the way through the stroke. 225 psi in main can, 185-190 in little can. One band in negative side.

I'm very satisfied. Of course, i just got my rebuilt CC DBi back from Cane Creek, and they put a black stanchion on it. Mmmmmm.... temptation. I still think the Topaz with its remote reservoir and better climb switch is a better match for my Tracer.
    I am So surprised that this simple adjustable shock (besides the precise tweakable airspring) is preferred from many riders even over a proper ccdba, not inline.
    When comparing jade and my marzocchi 053 in the patrol I can feel a noticeable difference at 30 %sag in midstroke support. That is why i am really asking for experience from other riders as I will not be able to compare them in a bike.

PS your topaz has black stanchions, Top. So rather use it as Main shock if it is noticeable better than the inline ;-)

So the guy with the riot please post your experience when you ve ridden both: -)

mtbr member
    @bansaiman The Topaz gives you plenty of options to keep you in the same state of constant angst as the Cane Creek - how many bands in the positive side? How many in the negative side? How much air in the remote bladder? How much air in the main can? Maybe riding with the switch in the middle position is best? Do I have enough rebound damping?

Fortunately for me, I usually find a great setting and then stop tweaking it, whether it's the Topaz or the CC. I understand there are others who exist in a constant state of "maybe I should try X."

My comments about the black stanchions on the Cane Creek was meant as humor. The Topaz looks awesome on my Tracer!
    Last edited by Herzalot; 01-23-2017 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    @bansaiman The Topaz gives you plenty of options to keep you in the same state of constant angst as the Cane Creek - how many bands in the positive side? How many in the negative side? How much air in the remote bladder? How much air in the main can? Maybe riding with the switch in the middle position is best? Do I have enough rebound damping?

Fortunately for me, I usually find a great setting and then stop tweaking it. I understand there are others who exist in a constant state of "maybe I should try X."

My comments about the black stanchions on the Cane Creek was meant as humor. The Topaz looks awesome on my Tracer!

Please ReRead ;-)
    It was all about Topaz vs JADE for me not ccdb.
    If it is only a bit more stiction than real coil but at least as well damped and nearly as good midsupport, i' m in for the topaz.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How does this shock compare to the RS Monarch RC3+Debonair? The issues I've had with two Monarchs on two different bikes is that if I slow down the rebound enough to not get bucked off, the shock feels harsh. If I back out the rebound to not feel harsh then i really have to use good technique to not get bucked off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    How does this shock compare to the RS Monarch RC3+Debonair? The issues I've had with two Monarchs on two different bikes is that if I slow down the rebound enough to not get bucked off, the shock feels harsh. If I back out the rebound to not feel harsh then i really have to use good technique to not get bucked off.
    Rebound damper circuits can be revalved / adjusted. Sounds like you may be having some trouble finding a middle ground with your rebound damping - I have found that Rockshox's "Rapid Recovery" rebound valving requires that you run faster-than-normal rebound to achieve an appropriate feel. Try running your rebound somewhere around the middle of the range, slightly toward the fast end of things. I doubt the rebound damping on the Topaz is anything revolutionary - most of the difference in suspension these days seems to manifest as compression damping, at least in my experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've got mine fitted on the the 2011 Yeti 575 Anniversary. Had kittens when I first got the shock as it came with no mounting hardware and cream coloured lipped bushings installed. Which didn't fit the Yeti at all. But after an email exchange on the weekend (!) with tech support at DVO I soon had them removed and the old Fox bushings that came with the Yeti pressed in and all installed. I would say DVO has the best tech support I've even used. I sent the email in AU on the weekend and within the hour I was having an email exchange with a very helpful and patient person. If this shock even works half as good as it looks like it should DVO has just made a new loyal customer!

Will follow this up once I have it dialled in using helpful hints on this thread. Thanks!

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Somewhere around 2013, RS started using really large bypasses coupled with a preloaded stack on rebound. This gives the shock a large adjustment range on rebound and really compromises the action unless your weight is in the sweat spot. Rapid recovery is just marketing bs. With certain rider weights, usually the lighter half, and spring curves, this produces a lack of hsr when the lsr is dialed for small bump, exactly as you describe. You're not crazy. This can be hard to tune for by just simply changing the stiffness of a straight rebound stack. Not to mention, you have a large range of adjustment adivided by only 9 clicks, which is rather coarse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    Somewhere around 2013, RS started using really large bypasses coupled with a preloaded stack on rebound. This gives the shock a large adjustment range on rebound and really compromises the action unless your weight is in the sweat spot. Rapid recovery is just marketing bs. With certain rider weights, usually the lighter half, and spring curves, this produces a lack of hsr when the lsr is dialed for small bump, exactly as you describe. You're not crazy. This can be hard to tune for by just simply changing the stiffness of a straight rebound stack. Not to mention, you have a large range of adjustment adivided by only 9 clicks, which is rather coarse.
    Thanks for the insight. I'm not a light rider (240lbs) but I've had two Monarchs now that I couldn't slow down rebound enough and not feel like total junk while riding. This was all on vpp bikes, so I don't know if this made the problem worse/better/no effect at all.

I picked up a Topaz and tested it out this weekend. So far it's noticeably superior to a Monarch and almost as good as the Vivid Air RC2 I had on the bike previously. I'm running no bands on the positive side and 1 band on the negative side, 255lbs of air to get around 30% sag and 180lbs in the bladder. It's still now 100% happy with the feel of the shock; I can slow down the rebound enough to feel good for most of my riding but packs down on the high speed segments of my ride.

mtbr member
    255lbs of air to get around 30% sag and 180lbs in the bladder.
    try more air in the little bladder and then you can hopefully add less air to the big can to get the same sag.

the DVO tech explained to me that the little bladder should be 180-200 lbs PSI depending on your weight. I weigh 200 lbs +/- and they suggested 190 PSI in the little can. For you, probably 200 PSI in the little can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    try more air in the little bladder and then you can hopefully add less air to the big can to get the same sag.

the DVO tech explained to me that the little bladder should be 180-200 lbs PSI depending on your weight. I weigh 200 lbs +/- and they suggested 190 PSI in the little can. For you, probably 200 PSI in the little can.
    I thought more air in the bladder results in a harsher ride, which isn't what i'm looking for but I'll give it a try. Also, would adding another spacer in the negative side result in needing less air for the same amount of sag?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Better call DVO for setup tips. When Ronnie explained it to me he said to run 175# (I weigh 150 soaking wet and fairly aggressive rider). The way he explained it was that the heavier and more aggressive you are the more air you should use in the rezzy because it basically just stabilizes the expansion bladder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    More air in the bladder will help with bottom out. You could try adding a little bit more pressure and adding a click of rebound to compensate for the faster rebound speed the shock would then have.

nvphatty
    Is the topaz T3air the same as the original topaz in terms of available adjustments, functionality etc?? or is it a new version??

TOPAZ T3AIR_ | DVO Suspension

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Is the topaz T3air the same as the original topaz in terms of available adjustments, functionality etc?? or is it a new version??

TOPAZ T3AIR_ | DVO Suspension
    Its the original. I have one the first and it's called the T3 AIR

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Didn't see a thread on this so I figured I would start one for those interested in the shock. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and so far only have one ride on it due to work requiring me to be away from home.

The Topaz came in its own custom hard case including a pump and volume spacers. I got it to replace the double barrel inline that my Knolly came with and from the one ride I have on it, the Topaz is feeling much better. This most likely is due to being a better pairing with my DVO fork and also just more volume to soak up larger hits. I think I'll be adding a volume spacer when I return home shortly and see how it is feeling after that. For the first ride, the shock didn't feel sloppy for stand up pedaling, bottomed out without me noticing, and has VERY little breakaway force required. So far I haven't had a shock with this little breakaway force which is proving to be pretty incredible.

Here are the initial photos and I'll post some more info as more rides on the shock happen.

Name:	IMG_3443_zpsvsls8lyy.jpg 
Views:	1217 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	1065997

Name:	IMG_3444_zpsrg4wjbgn.jpg 
Views:	2257 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	1065999

Name:	IMG_3446_zpseptgqoyc.jpg 
Views:	6037 
Size:	422.6 KB 
ID:	1066000
    I have to ask! Where did you find that axle in green???? I have been looking everywhere, but apparently not in the right spot....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wait, thats a DVO fork, isnt it? CRAP!!!

nvphatty
    Awaiting a topazT3 for my heckler.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey all, I'm replacing the bushings on my topaz. The ones that came off where a bit different though as where from a fox I think.
    Any advice which way this goes back together? The small oring first or last?

Braaap
    You swapped the newer style white poly bushing to the older metal DU bushing. The reducer hardware is not cross compatible due to different spacing. Either style bushing will work with their respective hardware, however, I'd suggest pressing that DU bushing out and replacing it with the poly bushing (what DVO and Fox now specs).
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Confused more now.. as DVO only just sent this stuff out to me..
    Is that not what I should be using?

Braaap
    Yes, that hardware needs to be used with the white poly bushings, not the metal DU bushings that you have installed.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ahh ok. So need some poly bushings too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So I need this as well?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So I need this as well?

Joel,
    You need these to replace the metal bushings you pressed in. You have the right hardware, but the wrong bushings.

DVO Topaz-1429020-igus-du-bushings-kit.jpg

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh tracks View Post
    Its the original. I have one the first and it's called the T3 AIR
    appreciate the confirmation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The bike shop installed the metal bushings when I purchased I guess. As never put that in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Is there any info out there on changing the tune on this shock, or do you have to send it in?
    I have this on my 2016 Meta V4 and overall the shock feels ok on drops and general trail riding, but over high speed chunky sections the rear end feels pretty harsh. Almost like it's packing up? But I'm only running 1 click in from full fast rebound.
    Do I need to look at the high speed compression circuit and possibly de-tune the rebound circuit as well?
    Other settings are about 195psi in the main chamber for 30% sag and 180psi in the bladder, and 2 bands in the positive chamber.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

What tune is on your topaz? Stock tune? I was thinking about buying one but I know the monarch on the Hightower comes with a L/L tune. We're almost the same weight geared up so it's a good comparison.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strongbear0 View Post
    What tune is on your topaz? Stock tune? I was thinking about buying one but I know the monarch on the Hightower comes with a L/L tune. We're almost the same weight geared up so it's a good comparison.

Thanks
    Yes, stock tune. I ordered it from Jenson

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks kmp, my wheels show up today so I can finally build up my bike. I'll ride the stock monarch, but from what I've read heavier riders seem to be pulling them off quickly so I'm on the hunt for a better rear shock. Narrowed it down to this and the float x or x2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I weight about 210 and have 250psi 2 spacers in positive and 1 spacer in negative, but still seems like I'm a tad low on sag. Do i really keep adding air?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

wheelie king
    Quote Originally Posted by srbecker View Post
    I weight about 210 and have 250psi 2 spacers in positive and 1 spacer in negative, but still seems like I'm a tad low on sag. Do i really keep adding air?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Try adding a couple more spacers in the negative side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What do you mean "low on sag"?

Like it's riding low (aka too much sag)? Yes add pressure.

Not enough sag? No don't add pressure. add more negative bands.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    When setting the shock up and setting intial sag, It sags too much. I have 250psi and i still get near 40% sag. I read somewhere adding 1 band to the negative side would help with that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    A lot of the questions popping up on here can be given some guidance on the DVO tech page for the Topaz.

Here is the link:
    Topaz | DVO Suspension Tech Website

For heavier riders, bumping the bladder pressure up to 200psi will also be a great benefit to the bike. Just be cautious when going to check the pressure with your shock pump as it will almost always look at least 15 or more psi lower than what it was before hooking up the pump. That bladder air chamber is just so small it will take a massive hit from it to fill your shock pump and register on the gauge when hooking up initially.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    Switched to the Topaz on my Spitfire and it completely changed the feel of the bike. I had an XFusion O2 prior to the DVO. The Topaz is super smooth on the small chatter and with two spacers it ramps up nicely on the bigger hits leaving me with about 2-3mm to go. Not to bad seeing that I'm 240 geared up. At 28-30% sag = 250psi with 4 turns out from slow on the rebound. I'm now thinking about a Diamond fork to match it.
    Your a tad heavier than me, but I am sure our setups will be similar. My psi is currently at 255psi and i still exceed the 30% sag. Did you add the spacers to the positive or negative side?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I weigh around 240-245 geared up and had to put about 260-265 psi in the shock to get less than 30% sag. I played around with band on the negative side but things didn't change that much.

nvphatty
    PreCharge your Air Pump
    me likey this technique.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast