DVO Diamond Fork VS Fox Float- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

DVO Diamond Fork VS Fox Float

Anyone has any experience to share? The DVO fork is a pricey fork for a new brand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    DVO is a New Brand in name only.
    Those guys have huge amounts bicycle industry experience. Especially in the suspension side of the business.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
    DVO is a New Brand in name only.
    Those guys have huge amounts bicycle industry experience. Especially in the suspension side of the business.
    I agree experience counts especially in marketing stance. For end user, I am more concern on the performance I am paying for, especially if it's price is comparable or higher than the established brands.

Any reviews will be interesting.

mtbr member
    Is the Diamond shipping? Who is selling it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    Is the Diamond shipping? Who is selling it?
    No one is. After they announced its launch for November the date has shifted to end of January, end of March and now some shops like CRC are listing it for April. I have asked around and apparently even the distributors don't have confirmed shipping dates yet.

beater

Actually I though the listed price for the Diamond was surprisingly affordable considering the prices for DVO's other products. It's right in the same range as a 36 or a Pike. My LBS is a dealer, so I'm sure I'll see a few of them around this summer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Absolutely, really competitive price if you compare it to Fox and I'd much prefer it to a 36. I don't think they will get discounted as heavily as some large volume products like the Pike, but the price is totally fine, especially since it's coming from a smaller company that will initially only sell a fraction of what the big buys are doing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    it is unlikely to feel any different to a pike, fox 36 or mattoc to the majority of people.

Braaap
    I placed a pre-order for a green/27.5" earlier today, ETA...mid-April.

Looks like we'll be waiting some time before real world, average joe, production fork reviews.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    How much is it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    800 in the UK

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    it is unlikely to feel any different to a pike, fox 36 or mattoc to the majority of people.
    Incorrect. Try riding one first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    are you seriously trying to tell me that the majority of people are going to be able to tell the difference between the DVO and the pike, mattock and fox 36?

mtbr member

are you seriously trying to tell me that the majority of people are going to be able to tell the difference between the DVO and the pike, mattock and fox 36?
    Yes.

I don't know about the Diamond but the difference between the Pike and Fox 36 air springs is pretty striking, for example. Not saying that one is better than the other in absolute terms but different, yes very much so.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Have you ridden one? It would be great to get some real world feedback. I suppose reviews are embargoed until the fork comes out, but some general impressions would be much appreciated.

beater

My friend's shop just got their shipment. First out of the container is the local word. Rider posts should be starring to trickle in in the coming weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Biggest difference when use correctly will be the OTT adjustment that lets you dial in sag independent of pressure.

I suspect that's gonna glue the front wheel in choppy corners and when you get a little antsy pulling the front wheel around on berms, off cambers heck even flats.

You can do this with a 36 by adding 10mm travel, a 5cc spacer and the air it to equal about 5-10mm more sag.

But the ability to tune it on the diamond without the hassle is a nice touch. The black stantions are way too 2015 for me though
    :thumbsup: believe in yourself! I believe in you! :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    any update?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    DVO vs Pike

With DVO I feel I can push harder. Small bump is better and the fork feels stiffer and with better control. Oh, and more grip.

Haven't had the chance to compare with a 36 yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I change from float 2015 to DVO. Honestly I cannot feel the difference. Maybe I feel better. Maybe Placebo effect

MTB SOCAL
    Is there a large weight difference between a 160mm Fox 36 or Fox 34 Float and a 160mm DVO Diamond?
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It depends on how what your definition of weight difference is. What constitutes large vs small. How many grams equals large? If it's 1lb than no. If it's 1g yes. If it's 1oz than yes. Everything is relative mah niggah!

Elitest thrill junkie
    My DVO is .5-.75lb heavier than my pike. It's not an anchor at all, but around 5lbs.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Has anyone played with the volume of oil to change their tuning?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    My DVO is .5-.75lb heavier than my pike. It's not an anchor at all, but around 5lbs.
    Is that a 29" fork? Seems kinda heavy but at the same time, if it makes a better fork, I am all for it.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Elitest thrill junkie
    29, but so far I'm not impressed over my pike, I've had it for a few months and now have it on a vacation in rocky Arizona terrain, so I'm renewing my attempts to tune it. It's not horrible, but high speed damping doesn't seem good outside of a pretty narrow range. Today should be a real good test, even though I've DHed on it and ridden it a bunch on our rooty alaska terrain. Pike (modified by avalanche) high speed seems to blow off much easier.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Anyone else have any rider feedback on the DVO Diamond, particularly as a 140mm replacement for a Pike on a 29r?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Anyone else have any rider feedback on the DVO Diamond, particularly as a 140mm replacement for a Pike on a 29r?
    Honestly, the result of my AZ trip was that the DVO was pretty harsh and not as good as my stock or avalanche Pike. I got the DVO rebuilt and revalved, but since I moved to the RFX, I haven't tried it. Maybe it's much better now after the factory revalve, but it should have been that good out of the box IMO. Seems to have all the right parts. I'll sell a barely used 29er one factory tuned cheap if anyone wants.

Given how impressed I've been by the Avy stuff I've owned, I have an Avy Lyric cartridge on the way. I could point my Avy 888 down the hill at SoMo, Mingus or SoMo and just have it feel better the harder I pushed it. The DVO felt harsher the more I pushed it.

I wouldn't replace a Pike with it.

mtbr member
    I'll sell a barely used 29er one factory tuned cheap if anyone wants.
    Not a very positive review. Is the one that you have green or black? I bet the green one has more small bump compliance

Elitest thrill junkie
    Not a very positive review. Is the one that you have green or black? I bet the green one has more small bump compliance
    Has to be black.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The DVO damper has some relatively aggressive valving in stock form. You should give it a try with the common mod that you probably got for it.

It's the same mod as the stock Pike/Charger dampers usually get, FYI. Just remove the preload ring from the middle of the comp stack. Smoother transition into the HSC section.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    IMO the DVO 29er is much nicer than the Pike. Better small bump, not harsh at all, plusher and stiffer construction. Good adjustability. Not sure why the other guy says it's harsh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I've been running a DVO Diamond for a few months now after riding Fox 36 and then Pike. I like the DVO better. Super plush at the top of the travel, great mid stroke and I can't bottom it out, although I come very close. It feels stiffer and therefore more predictable in the corners. I've called them a few times for set up advice and the owner actually talked me through some tips and explained the technology. When I told him I lived only a few hours away from the DVO office, he said to bring the fork in when it needs service, they would handle it on the spot and take me for a ride before I headed home. I think the "by riders for riders" thing is for real. I was very impressed with his taking the time to talk to a regular Joe like me.

And the OTT (off the top) feature allows you to adjust plushness and sag without messing with air pressure if desired. It allows me to adjust the sensitivity to trail conditions quickly. It's a standout feature for me. Just my 2 cents...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    IMO the DVO 29er is much nicer than the Pike. Better small bump, not harsh at all, plusher and stiffer construction. Good adjustability. Not sure why the other guy says it's harsh?
    Spiking through high speed chunk, although it didn't have to be super chunky to cause this. There was also the "spring knock" that one can read about in other threads.

mtbr member

It's the same mod as the stock Pike/Charger dampers usually get, FYI. Just remove the preload ring from the middle of the comp stack. Smoother transition into the HSC section.
    Out of curiosity, can you elaborate on this? Does this address the Pike/Lyrik harsh HSC spikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Honestly, the result of my AZ trip was that the DVO was pretty harsh and not as good as my stock or avalanche Pike. I got the DVO rebuilt and revalved, but since I moved to the RFX, I haven't tried it. Maybe it's much better now after the factory revalve, but it should have been that good out of the box IMO. Seems to have all the right parts. I'll sell a barely used 29er one factory tuned cheap if anyone wants.

Given how impressed I've been by the Avy stuff I've owned, I have an Avy Lyric cartridge on the way. I could point my Avy 888 down the hill at SoMo, Mingus or SoMo and just have it feel better the harder I pushed it. The DVO felt harsher the more I pushed it.

I wouldn't replace a Pike with it.
    Its been a year, but is that used 29er still about?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by davis69 View Post
    Its been a year, but is that used 29er still about?
    Probably not, but:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Dvo-Diamond-29-Fork?cs=Black

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Trail Junkie
    Yes, Ibis Ripley LS setup 140mm (one spacer)
    Here's my response in another thread.

I have been on my DVO now for a short time coming from the RS as well. I echo the OP's words and find them to be very accurate.

What I would like to add is more in the context of setup. Both Fox and Rockshox setup very similar, and the controls operate virtually the same as well......if you're comparing the factory to the RCT3.

I believe a few people may be getting hung up on the OTT (I believe it was Jayem that commented) that if he tunes it one way its supple but non-supportive, and if he tunes it to be supportive, it's not supple. He's combating PSI with click adjustments. I am not making assumptions, but if I had to guess, he's trying to stay too close to baseline for a given PSI rather than adjust reactively to what the fork is doing.

The order of steps at the DVO support site say 1) PSI 2) OTT 3) HSC 4) LSC....that's for a baseline.

The difference in tuning for someone's who's 175lb to someone who's 195lb is very minimal in PSI, but it actually does make a considerable difference for each PSI you add or subtract. Additionally HSC and LSC are both effected with each PSI you add or subtract since both adjustments are managing the air.

What I've found is that you're better off keeping OTT in the back of your mind, and going slightly higher on the PSI (just a hair higher than what logically makes sense...1-2psi), tune the HSC with the OTT 1-2 clicks BELOW baseline, and LSC at 1. Adjust the HSC to what feels good so the fork doesn't pogo or pack (or make squishy noises) then adjust the OTT to the desired sensitivity. I fine tune what's happening on the trail with the LSC because that's the most convenient to adjust, and it is designed to be able to make the on-the-fly changes for the trail.

OTT feels more like a LSC adjustment on the Fox and RS RCT3 dampener but with more refinement and utilizing more travel. LSC on the DVO feels more like the trail setting to firm up to lockout. I honestly believe that if you treat the adjustments in that way, you'll have an easier time getting the right tune out of the fork, but also have the on-the-fly adjustment we're use to on the other two brand forks.

Moving over to the DVO and dialing it in with this setup, I actually see more grip, carry more speed through corners, and haven't noticed the 200g penalty one bit. I am in love with this fork!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    I believe a few people may be getting hung up on the OTT (I believe it was Jayem that commented) that if he tunes it one way its supple but non-supportive, and if he tunes it to be supportive, it's not supple. He's combating PSI with click adjustments. I am not making assumptions, but if I had to guess, he's trying to stay too close to baseline for a given PSI rather than adjust reactively to what the fork is doing.

The difference in tuning for someone's who's 175lb to someone who's 195lb is very minimal in PSI, but it actually does make a considerable difference for each PSI you add or subtract. Additionally HSC and LSC are both effected with each PSI you add or subtract since both adjustments are managing the air.
    I can't even understand what most of your post means. Your assumption is I only made two adjustments on the fork, either too much OTT or not enough?

Combating PSI with adjustments?
    HSC and LSC are effected with each PSI?

It sounds like English may not be your native language. Your post attempts to be informative in nature, yet appears to makes no actual sense.

I'm glad it works for some people. Some recent discoveries with the Fox 36 forks by users have revealed why some people have ultra-plush smooth forks and others seem to be notchy and harsh. This is related to tolerances with some specific parts. I don't know if anything similar is happening here (there was that knocking problem that my fork had too), but the forks also can't be that difficult to set up, despite the fact that I tried every possible combination. If they truly are that difficult to set up, where if you are just one click off that it feels terrible, that's an issue by itself. That points to damping range and graduations in the adjustments.

Trail Junkie
    I can't even understand what most of your post means. Your assumption is I only made two adjustments on the fork, either too much OTT or not enough?

Combating PSI with adjustments?
    HSC and LSC are effected with each PSI?

It sounds like English may not be your native language. Your post attempts to be informative in nature, yet appears to makes no actual sense.

I'm glad it works for some people. Some recent discoveries with the Fox 36 forks by users have revealed why some people have ultra-plush smooth forks and others seem to be notchy and harsh. This is related to tolerances with some specific parts. I don't know if anything similar is happening here (there was that knocking problem that my fork had too), but the forks also can't be that difficult to set up, despite the fact that I tried every possible combination. If they truly are that difficult to set up, where if you are just one click off that it feels terrible, that's an issue by itself. That points to damping range and graduations in the adjustments.
    Jayem, this wasn't an attack on you in any way bro...seriously it wasn't. With these forks, setup is the key to the rider's experience. You said you weren't overly impressed with the fork, and then you went on to explain how you couldn't get it set up to your liking. I was trying to address the problem you're having directly the best way I could without being in front of your bike. The whole point of these forums are actually to communicate with each other, and if your experience is different than pretty much everyone else that has chosen to engage in the conversation, I'm going to see if I can help you....If you don't want my help, you can just ignore everything else below. If you're having trouble comprehending what I am saying, I don't know what to tell you.

I'll break down your response so that I address everything. English is my first language...I grew up in Upper Michigan btw.

"Combating PSI with adjustments" Unlike Fox and Rockshox (RS), you set the PSI and then do the adjustments. However, with Fox and RS, if you change the PSI, there's a likelihood that no adjustments have to be made. In my experience, the DVO is different, and the HSC/LSC circuits respond differently to the amount of PSI you run.
    Then there's OTT to contend with.

I have found that running slightly more PSI actually works better for OTT than running less. The DVO website actually says that OTT works this way. I just believe the setup order of operation is wrong, and OTT is the last adjustment you want to do except for LSC, but that's an on-the-fly adjustment.

You are right in that if one click changes the fork from bad to good or the other way around, it isn't good. And as far as the clicking noise you're experiencing...I am not sure about that. The only troubleshooting method I would try is let almost all the air out, RTZ (Return to zero) meaning set everything to one click add some lube to the fork stanchions and cycle the fork over and over to see if the clicking goes away. If that has no effect, it may need to go back to DVO.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Nice info dubdryver! I've been running the DVO for over a year now. Also on a Ripley LS. I've been running a little less psi than recommended. No complaints other than an occasional knocking noise. I'll try your setup for kicks and giggles and report back.