dust cover !help?- Mtbr.com

May 2009

dust cover !help?

Im NEW

I have a forge edgmont with a suntour xct v2 80 mm for.k i ripped the upper dust cover changing my stack height and one more washer thing (forgot the name).

the same fork thats on a specialized hardrock. so i went to a lbs specialized dealer and was told " that part is specific to suntour " and that he did not have anything specific. He did try to match something up and gave me something clos(e for free).

I ASSumed that parts like this were standard. I would like to replace it. is that part necessary??? i was told that as lm not riding in severly dusty areas i should be ok
    Wore case scenario i could take it apart and clean it.

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    are you talking about the top cap?

only dust cover i can think of is what covers your fork stanchons...but i dont see how youd rip those when adding spacers to change your stack height.

Oct 2005
    Yeah, I'm not following. The terminology is all off, not matching descriptions. Time for photos.

May 2009
    ok i think i understand a little better now,
    its actually the headset upper dust cap. its a threadless headset mfg by vp a71 for cane creek. (BTW cane ceek uses the same part #)
    part description looks like a black rubber ring tapered. i ve been told that i have to buy a new headset just to get that one part? what would happen if i use the bike without it.
    sorry no camera 4 pics thanx

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    seeing how we sill cant understand what you're talking about, best bet is just take the LBS's word for it...since they are the only ones who can see what you are talking about.

Dirt Deviant
    I think the part is called a compression ring.

Members who have read this thread: 0