Dumb question about 888, monster T, etc...- Mtbr.com

Sep 2005

Dumb question about 888, monster T, etc...

Hi. I have a quick release front wheel. In the pics I've seen of these high-end forks, there is a metal bar that connects the wheel axle at the bottom of the fork. I can't seem to understand how I could fit my own wheel in there. Do I need to rebuild a wheel to keep this in mind? Is it a way to do away with quickrelease wheels?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by eanzenberg
    Hi. I have a quick release front wheel. In the pics I've seen of these high-end forks, there is a metal bar that connects the wheel axle at the bottom of the fork. I can't seem to understand how I could fit my own wheel in there. Do I need to rebuild a wheel to keep this in mind? Is it a way to do away with quickrelease wheels?
    Yeah, these forks use a 20mm through axle. This means that the hub has a hole in the center, 20mm in diamater, through which a metal rod goes. It is clamped at both ends by the pinch bolts on the legs of the fork. You will need to replace the hub, which entails relacing of the wheel.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

Members who have read this thread: 1