Dual sus bike put in a trainer: pls suggest a rear shock.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Dual sus bike put in a trainer: pls suggest a rear shock.

Hello all,

I have a dual-sus bike, which is put in a bike-trainer. The bike has an old (2002-03) Fox Float R with no Propedal and so it bumps when the front middle or granny is geared. I dont have rigid bike so I decided to change the shock to a newer Fox Float and I need your advice on what model should I buy. Now Im choosing between RL (or RC) and RP23 (or RP3). The problem is that I am limited in resources for that and need to buy a slightly used shock on eBay. The newer but used RL are not available on eBay, only old (up to 06) RLs are being sold there. The question is what will be better and what will stop the bumping: an old RL (or RC) or a newer RP23 (or RP3). I also heard about the Triad for Specialized but they have only one model with 6.5 eye-to-eye while my bike requires a 7.85 shock.

I will appreciate all your comments.

PS: sorry for my English Im outside of English-speaking countries.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since the bike is stationary and you don't actually need a shock just pump up the current one to 250psi, no need for a new shock or anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the reply. But the bike is not stationary. 50% of the time it stays indoor, and 50% I ride it outdoor. So I need both - a firm lockout and a good absorption...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Palych View Post
    Thanks for the reply. But the bike is not stationary. 50% of the time it stays indoor, and 50% I ride it outdoor. So I need both - a firm lockout and a good absorption...
    Anything with a true lockout should work. But personally I am leery of a used shock from 2006 off ebay.

It does not take long to change the pressure in the shock (1 minute ?). If the only reason you are getting a new shock is for the lockout, and funds are tight, I would just change the pressure between uses.

Have you set this thing up in the trainer, yet? The bigger issue going from trainer to off-road for me would be the rear tire. Anything with knobs is a real drag (literally) and very noisy. I have a set of rollers for my road bike, and even semi slicks drive my wife crazy several rooms away.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.