Dual Air 426 Revelation questions- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5

    Dual Air 426 Revelation questions

    Hey all,
    I’ve had to reduce the travel of my Rev 426 down to 3” from it’s stock 5” through the distributor. The 5” setting was too much for my bike. Has anybody done this? Does it affect the air pressure I have to put in the fork compared to the 5” setting?

    I think I saw in the manual that there was another adjustment under the top right leg gold gate valve nob? Is this for the 426 or another fork? How do I remove the gold gate cap?

    If I have the gate almost open (+), and the compression knob on ¾ lock, the fork makes a horrible air flushing through “woosh” noise. Is this normal?
    thanks

  2. #2
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Alain
    Hey all,
    I’ve had to reduce the travel of my Rev 426 down to 3” from it’s stock 5” through the distributor. The 5” setting was too much for my bike. Has anybody done this? Does it affect the air pressure I have to put in the fork compared to the 5” setting?

    I think I saw in the manual that there was another adjustment under the top right leg gold gate valve nob? Is this for the 426 or another fork? How do I remove the gold gate cap?

    If I have the gate almost open (+), and the compression knob on ¾ lock, the fork makes a horrible air flushing through “woosh” noise. Is this normal?
    thanks
    That's a super burly 3in fork!

    You'll likely need more negative air pressure than recommended to prevent harsh topout. You'll likely want to run higher positive pressure than recommended, also, to prevent bottomout.

    The extra adjustment you're talking about is not what you think it is. That is floodgate, just that on lower Pike models, there is no external floodgate knob, so you have to access it the way it is shown in the manual.

    With compression at almost lockout, you're moving oil through a very small orifice before it opens up the floodgate, hence the loud swish. Why are you running so much compression? Are you using this fork for urban or something?

    _MK

    "The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    That's a super burly 3in fork!

    You'll likely need more negative air pressure than recommended to prevent harsh topout. You'll likely want to run higher positive pressure than recommended, also, to prevent bottomout.

    The extra adjustment you're talking about is not what you think it is. That is floodgate, just that on lower Pike models, there is no external floodgate knob, so you have to access it the way it is shown in the manual.

    With compression at almost lockout, you're moving oil through a very small orifice before it opens up the floodgate, hence the loud swish. Why are you running so much compression? Are you using this fork for urban or something?

    _MK
    It is quite the burly 3" fork, RS lost my psylo and sent me the rev, so I had to pick one setting to ride on, 3" was the best for xc and my bike. Cheap sob’s, they could have sent me the u-turn version… At 5” it created so much rake and the bb height was at almost 13”, climbing was impossible I’d get the kick up’s every time.

    I was under the impression that I would have needed less air pressure since the chambers would be smaller? But I guess the chambers won’t change sizes that it's just a spacer they switch. I was already running the fork at 15-20psi higher than recommended...

    I tried pulling on the gold gate knob and nothing so I figured I'd ask before using pliers, the manual is so confusing, especially if your dyslexic... Cheap RS can’t even make a manual specific for one fork.

    Good to know that that whooshing noise is normal, I just put the compression around there for climbs and hard packed areas. The fork will be going on an urban/ park bike over winter so I will be running it almost at full compression and wanted to make sure it was not busted right out of the box.

    Thanks MK!
    Al

  4. #4
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Alain
    It is quite the burly 3" fork, RS lost my psylo and sent me the rev, so I had to pick one setting to ride on, 3" was the best for xc and my bike. Cheap sob’s, they could have sent me the u-turn version… At 5” it created so much rake and the bb height was at almost 13”, climbing was impossible I’d get the kick up’s every time.

    I was under the impression that I would have needed less air pressure since the chambers would be smaller? But I guess the chambers won’t change sizes that it's just a spacer they switch. I was already running the fork at 15-20psi higher than recommended...

    I tried pulling on the gold gate knob and nothing so I figured I'd ask before using pliers, the manual is so confusing, especially if your dyslexic... Cheap RS can’t even make a manual specific for one fork.

    Good to know that that whooshing noise is normal, I just put the compression around there for climbs and hard packed areas. The fork will be going on an urban/ park bike over winter so I will be running it almost at full compression and wanted to make sure it was not busted right out of the box.

    Thanks MK!
    Al
    Cool.

    As of why you'd want to run higher pressures, it is due to the fact that compressing the frok from 5in of travel down to nothing reduces the air chamber size more dramatically than going from 3in to 0. That's why you want to run more pressure to compensate for smaller ramp-up of the air spring.

    _MK

    "The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.