DSD Runt or Push HC97? 2019 Lyrik Debonair RCT3 Charger2- Mtbr.com
    Rocks belong

DSD Runt or Push HC97? 2019 Lyrik Debonair RCT3 Charger2

Similarly priced and Iíd do the install

DSD Runt or Push HC97? (Canít do both)

Leaning towards DSD Runt with rebound shimmed to my weight and putting in lighter weight damper oil while in there (to get the overall compression damping moving and letting the Runtís airspring provide the support)

Rider preference: raw, rocky, chunky/tech trails over machines built berms and jumps. 190lbs out of the shower. Generally forward/attacking riding position (vs hanging off the back).
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 10-13-2019 at 06:12 AM.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post

Leaning towards DSD Runt with rebound shimmed to my weight and putting in lighter weight damper oil while in there (to get the overall compression damping moving and letting the Runtís airspring provide the support)

Rider preference: raw, rocky, chunky/tech trails over machines built berms and jumps. 190lbs out of the shower. Generally forward/attacking riding position (vs hanging off the back).
    I can't speak to the HC97 (I have a fast damper instead) but have just installed the runt in a 170mm Lyrik with the debonair spring. I've had just one ride and the difference in suppleless and midstroke support is very noticeable. The bike is way quicker through a set of rock gardens that I use to test suspension settings. I think this is because it is staying higher and recovering quicker into the most supple part of the fork stroke. Before I was running 70psi, now running 60/120. What surprised me is how sensitive it is to changes in pressure. I dropped the high to 115 psi and it reduced the midstoke support and took it back closer to a pre-runt ride character. I much prefer the extra mid stroke support even though I'm using less overall travel. My weight 165, ride lots of rock gardens, sit in about top 5-10% of rider times on local black diamond descents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post

Iíve got both but on 2 different bikes. If I had to chose one or the other Iíd go runt. If they made a runt for the boxxer Iíd have one on there too.

Rocks belong
    Thanks, both of you. You have confirmed my suspicion: Get the airspring to support and behave the way you want and the damper can be a second thought.

I really like the idea of being able to add 3-5 PSI to the HI side of the Runt for lift access trails (presumably bigger features and harder hits). Doing all of that with just a shock pump is nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have both. Added the runt first, and then did the HC97 + fork service a few weeks later.

Itís been a while, but if I had to pick one, I would probably stick with the Runt. I ride similar terrain as the OP, and the midstroke support was really noticeable in corners and pumping terrain. I was also able to run lower main chamber pressure for initial stroke suppleness. I rarely, if ever bottom out, and itís still feel more efficient than when i had the stock Lyrik RTC3 (charger 2).

The HC97 made biggest difference in the perceived ďharshnessĒ with medium to large chunk at speed. Itís very noticeable, but i would not hit that type of terrain on every ride. Vs. the Runt I could feel every ride. The HC97 feels ďsportyĒ for lack of a better term vs. the stock Lyrik being more tune for plushness. Like driving my Golf R vs. my Mazda CX 5, except able to eat the potholes

That being side, both difference improved the ride, and I donít believe that you can go wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
    I have both. Added the runt first, and then did the HC97 + fork service a few weeks later.

Itís been a while, but if I had to pick one, I would probably stick with the Runt. I ride similar terrain as the OP, and the midstroke support was really noticeable in corners and pumping terrain. I was also able to run lower main chamber pressure for initial stroke suppleness. I rarely, if ever bottom out, and itís still feel more efficient than when i had the stock Lyrik RTC3 (charger 2).

The HC97 made biggest difference in the perceived ďharshnessĒ with medium to large chunk at speed. Itís very noticeable, but i would not hit that type of terrain on every ride. Vs. the Runt I could feel every ride. The HC97 feels ďsportyĒ for lack of a better term vs. the stock Lyrik being more tune for plushness. Like driving my Golf R vs. my Mazda CX 5, except able to eat the potholes

That being side, both difference improved the ride, and I donít believe that you can go wrong.
    Yea I would love to have both. I was smashing into shit at speed with my hc97 boxxer this weekend and could not believe how well it was taking the big fast hits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I did the HC97 first, then the Runt...then the AVY cartridge to replace the HC97. I'm also just an intermediate type rider so take my opinion with a big grain of salt.

They both make the fork have a lot more support but I felt like the HC97 kind of dominated the feel overall. Changes in RUNT pressure weren't all that noticeable until I switched to the Avy cartridge. The HC97 just always felt firm, no matter how I adjusted it. Different degrees of firm, yes, but always firm. I think if I rode harder, the HC97 would have been great, but it was too much for me. With the Runt and the damper no longer over powering it, I feel like I can tune it to have a broader range of feel than I could with the HC97.

I know people will argue this, but if you get the Runt, I'd suggest getting a no loss air valve for your pump. The volume is REALLY low on the Runt, even the slightest leak of air when removing the pump will have a significant impact on the pressure in the Runt. I could never trust the pressure in mine and the fork seemed to be all over the place when trying to set it up, until I got the no-loss valve.

Rocks belong
    Thanks to the responses here, I got a DSD Runt.

Installed it with the new mid-valve spring and rebound damper tuned to my 190lbs rider weight. Got a few rides this past weekend in GJ, CO and Moab. The mid-stroke support was immediately noticeable.

In Durango, CO right now and dropped my damper off with DSD so they can rework my base valve damping and open up the HSC needle on my Charger2 damper.

Next ride will be Friday on some Albuquerque rocky chatter. Really looking forward to it!