Draining Fox damper- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Draining Fox damper

I was reading through the Enduro instructions for a Fox 32, and it says to loosen the damper shaft below the top cap to allow all the oil to flow out of the damper. Usually when I service my fork I just stick a small allen key in the bottom of the damper cartridge to allow it to drain, and then just keep pumping it until nothing no more oil comes out.

Am I still leaving oil in the system doing it this way?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    I was reading through the Enduro instructions for a Fox 32, and it says to loosen the damper shaft below the top cap to allow all the oil to flow out of the damper. Usually when I service my fork I just stick a small allen key in the bottom of the damper cartridge to allow it to drain, and then just keep pumping it until nothing no more oil comes out.

Am I still leaving oil in the system doing it this way?
    I have done this step (allen key pushing up on the shim) and have found that you can successfully remove all oil from the cartridge. The newer style cartridges FOX now produces, however, makes this step very difficult. I now get in the habit of removing the nut on top of the cartridge (along with the rod assembly) for my oil removal process.

Members who have read this thread: 0