Does this shock exist?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

New question here. Does this shock exist?

So, I have to aplogize for my newb-ness but I've been out of the technology loop for several years now and there are about eight million different shocks out there these days.

Here's what I want. Let's see if somebody can tell me which shock fits this mold:

1. Coil springs
    2. V-brake compatibility
    3. 80mm of travel prefered, 100 accepted
    4. Lightness not too important
    5. Type of riding = XC on a steel hardtail
    6. I'm 180lbs.
    7. $$$ is not terribly important.

I'm not a big fan of air shocks as I have a 2001 Atom Bomb and the stiction really is the reason I'd prefer another shock. I aslo have a 1998 Z-"something I forget" which fits all my requirements (coil springs) but it has hardly any travel. I like the Marzocchi shocks... Anyway, I'm not too interested in upgrading to a disk brake in the front yet because my xtr works well enough for me and the cane creek wheels have a decent-ish amount of rim left.

Thanks for the help guys. I've lurked the forum for a while but so much of this is greek to me. It's pretty sad since I used to be so into the scene as a LBS tech and a racer years ago.

Matt

not so super...
    If you haven't tried an air shock since 2001 you owe it to yourself to get a test ride on something form 2006.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That would be a pleasant surprise if they've improved the technology enough that air shock are soaking up the small stuff. The shock I have now only works on larger bumps and I swear it doesn't do anything at all on small roots and rocks.

Hey, btw, I just rode yellow river for the first time since the creekside closed. I saw your Gator link. That will be the trail I mostly ride since I can get there after work before the sun goes down.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by glagola1
    That would be a pleasant surprise if they've improved the technology enough that air shock are soaking up the small stuff. The shock I have now only works on larger bumps and I swear it doesn't do anything at all on small roots and rocks.

Hey, btw, I just rode yellow river for the first time since the creekside closed. I saw your Gator link. That will be the trail I mostly ride since I can get there after work before the sun goes down.
    Cool! Our next meeting is the 10th if you'd like to join us.

I have a rear air shock delivering 6" of travel and a front dishing out up to seven inches. Air has come a long way.

You might want to look at a RockShox Reba. The one on my wifes bike rides quite well. 06 models are 85-100mmm travel adjustable (u-turn models) which should work well for your application.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah, I guess I'll probably have to actually feel some on the trail. I guess I'm harboring preconceptions that I got from back in the day. For example, I think of floppy when I think of Rock Shox and I think of crappy when I think of Manitou and I have no idea about Fox... Marzocchi was the only good shock IMO back 7 years ago.

Thanks.... So a group is meeting for a ride on the 10th? You can PM me if you want to keep this thread on topic.

Matt

not so super...
    Yeah, I guess I'll probably have to actually feel some on the trail. I guess I'm harboring preconceptions that I got from back in the day. For example, I think of floppy when I think of Rock Shox and I think of crappy when I think of Manitou and I have no idea about Fox... Marzocchi was the only good shock IMO back 7 years ago.

Thanks.... So a group is meeting for a ride on the 10th? You can PM me if you want to keep this thread on topic.

Matt
    Come meet some of the GATR's and you will probably be able to arrange for a trail bounce test of a lot of the new forks.
    Nothing to see here.

"El Whatever"
    Magura Vidar.

1. Coil springs - OK
    2. V-brake compatibility - OK (just check out because there are two models, one for normal vees and one for Magura's Firm Tech, which is not compatible woth normal vees)
    3. 80mm of travel prefered, 100 accepted - OK and "Accepted" version available
    4. Lightness not too important - OK, not too heavy around 4 pounds. Slightly under.
    5. Type of riding = XC on a steel hardtail - OK
    6. I'm 180lbs. - OK, it can take discs up to 210mm and it's 30mm stanchions are as stiff as 30mm stanchions can get.
    7. $$$ is not terribly important. - OK - They're going for dirt cheap on e-bay, but hard to find. Also, you can contact Magura directly. They'll be happy to sell you one if they have it and their CS is superb. I already got my Phaon fork warrantied (I live in Mexico - I had not to pay a thing) for a problem out of the box and recently they warrantied a failing '02 Julie master cylinder lever no questions asked. I'm sold on them for their CS and quality products.
    Check my Site

www.derbyrims.com

Convert yours to coil?

... I have a 2001 Atom Bomb and the stiction really is the reason I'd prefer another shock.
    Matt
    I thought the Atom forks were coil(?). I have a 2001 Marzocchi x-fly 100 which I put coils into, and it transformed the fork from a very good air fork into a much higher quality ride with less brake dive and much less stiction.

Maybe the Atom Bomb was the grade below the x-fly then, I don't remember. But if it's open bath oil/air like the x-fly you could probably get coils from Marzocchi for $20.

I used 4 quarter dollars which fit perfectly for shims to set a little preload under the top caps that had air valves in them, later replaced the quarters with light ACE hardware store springs which smoothed the unloaded spring action to ultimate butter most noticeable while climbing. Wipe some fork oil on the stansions every few rides to remove the last evidence of seal stiction. In the converted Atom air to coil fork, you can also use air as preload if needed, although more than a little air pressure is what causes noticeable stiction.

Call Marzocchi and see if they have coils to fit.

The new air shocks are better now, but converting your fork to coil (if possible) would perform better or as well as the best new 80 -100 mm air shocks.

- ray

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Dang, yeah, I looked more carefully at the shocks this weekend and they are X-fly 100's! Funny. I'll call Marz to see what's up. Thanks!

Matt

Freshly Fujified

Yes it exists

I own one. In 2005, Marzocchi made an OEM version of the MX Comp Coil in 85mm. I bought mine on ebay for $175.00 shipped. Here's a link to Marzocchi's page with the fork:

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/de...IDOggetto=8432

Here's the vendor I purchased from:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgoodbikedealsQQhtZ-1

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Cool, thanks Clyde.

I actually stuffed some Slick Honey in behind the lip of the stanchion seals lastnight before a ride and I couldn't believe how much better the fork felt. I guess dry seals can really cause some stiction. I may be able to live with my X-FLY after all.

Freshly Fujified

Good for you!

I actually stuffed some Slick Honey in behind the lip of the stanchion seals lastnight before a ride and I couldn't believe how much better the fork felt. I guess dry seals can really cause some stiction. I may be able to live with my X-FLY after all.
    Nothing like a quick, inexpensive fix on a tried and true component. Let us know if it works in the long run. If you're feeling adventurous, try and oil change and new seals ( www.enduroforkseals.com ). This should make a huge difference overall.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I changed the oil about 6 months ago but when I put every thing back together I didn't lube the seals other than with fork oil. I also ran lower pressures yesterday and set the sag a good bit lower. I think that helped too. It seems that sag can be your friend. Since the shock is 100mm and I would prefer a 80mm, setting the sag pretty deep with semi slow rebound looks like a best of both worlds thing. I'm stoked.

www.derbyrims.com
    I changed the oil about 6 months ago but when I put every thing back together I didn't lube the seals other than with fork oil. I also ran lower pressures yesterday and set the sag a good bit lower. I think that helped too. It seems that sag can be your friend. Since the shock is 100mm and I would prefer a 80mm, setting the sag pretty deep with semi slow rebound looks like a best of both worlds thing. I'm stoked.
    You can make that fork an 80mm by stacking a slice of PVC plastic pipe (20mm) with the top-out spring. Full disassembly of the lowers is required, but it's not difficult.

Also if you get tired of packing slick-honey under the seals, just wipe a little fork oil on the exposed stansions before every few rides. The seals will keep any accumulated dirt out. I've been doing that for years with no problems.

I don't know about euro seals mentioned, if they are looser they may help reduce stiction, but the Marzocchi seals are excellent, have lasted me 4 years with my x-fly 100 with no leaks or any problems.

Coils in the x-fly 100 are also noticeably better riding, and no more maintenance or attention except occasional oil changes. If you want 80 mm you will need to mention that when ordering the springs, and you will need to shim the top-out springs or get longer top out springs (at least used to be) available for the x-fly 100.

Good to hear you got those flys buzzing. At the time they were new it was the best performing air shock available and nearly as light as SID's back then.

- ray

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Wow. Sweet info Ray! Dang, it's amazing what you can do with these forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Slow rebound might feel "plush" in the garage, but hitting chatter bumps at speed they might pack down and feel like crap. You might make sure you are running enough oil in both legs, if the seals are getting really dry and sticky.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Word, that's why I said semi-slow. I set it slow enough that when I pull up to log hop or something, I don't get the rebound in the fork adding weird forces to the bike when I'm in the air.

Members who have read this thread: 0