does anyone else here have a pet peave against vertical rear shocks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

does anyone else here have a pet peave against vertical rear shocks?

I've ridden a few FS mtb's with a vertical rear shock setup. I guess I have a pet peave against vertical rear shocks because they always feel too bobby to me. I even test rode a top of the line Scott Spark over the weekend and I really wanted to like it but the rear suspension just felt too bobby to me, even on full lockout mode. After that, I test rode a Cannondale Habit Carbon 2 (no vertical rear shock) and loved it. Does anyone else here have a pet peave against vertical rear shocks?

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    I've ridden a few FS mtb's with a vertical rear shock setup. I guess I have a pet peeve against vertical rear shocks because they always feel too bobby to me. I even test rode a top of the line Scott Spark over the weekend and I really wanted to like it but the rear suspension just felt too bobby to me, even on full lockout mode. After that, I test rode a Cannondale Habit Carbon 2 (no vertical rear shock) and loved it. Does anyone else here have a pet peeve against vertical rear shocks?
    Shock orientation has nothing to do with how robert the suspension is. Nothing. If anything, vertical shocks allow more design freedom and let the designer optimize the front triangle w/o having to use a needlessly stiff top tube. It's in your head. Or maybe designers using that inherently compromised design know what your expectations are.

Err, there's a lot going on here. Some things are outwardly invisible, like shock tune. Some are more obvious, like TT shock mounting, which can be challenging to implement with a great leverage curve.

So who knows what it is you like. Placebo? Falling rate linkage? Low leverage? Needlessly stiff front triangle? Old garbage? A combination?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    No, because shock orientation is usually completely decoupled from pedalling and suspension performance.

Your "problem" is like thinking blue bikes have excessive brake squat.

Hitching a ride
    I like standover and I like water bottles so I have no problem with vertical shocks. Pivot, BMC, and Giant all have vertical shocks on a similar DW style suspension with high antisquat.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Shock orientation has nothing to do with how robert the suspension is.
    ^ this. It doesn't affect the Robert.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    As everyone else has stated, shock orientation has nothing to do with pedal bob. Or pedal roberting, if you will.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Cycologist
    I'm not a fan of horizontal front shocks myself.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    i'm not a fan of horizontal front shocks myself.
    ha!
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I haven't riding a vertical shock but to me, I'd guess that as long as the outie slides smoothly into the innie I'd be satisfied.

And I'm not even Robert.

mtbr member
    Agree with everybody else as far as orientation means nothing. What matters is the leverage curve irrespective of shock orientation or mounting (full-floater, top link, bottom link, link-to-link, etc.). Where a is mounted and its orientation is a matter of convenience to get the desired curve and fit the shock in the frame...and marketing.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My impression is that the linkage is less efficient than with horizontal shocks. Maybe because I have seen broken linkages with vertical shocks, but haven't seen with horizontal ones. And I don't like that the seal faces upwards, although the fork is exactly the same thing. So, all irrational/anecdotal things apart, I'm ok with them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Outside of a few exceptions, shock orientation doesn't matter. What does matter is the anti-squat and leverage curves of the suspension design along with the tuning & setup of the shock. In most cases, it's possible to tweak the pivot locations around so that the curves are effectively the same regardless of shock orientation. If the curves & shocks are the same along with the setup, it'll ride the same.

psycho cyclo addict
    Ummm none at all.

If the shock works, I donít care if it is in vogue (upside down), vertical right side up or somewhere closer to parallel with the toptube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

This place needs an enema
    Nope.

But plenty of pet peeve's regarding misspelling things iike "peave".