Do you think rear shock set up can also affect how the front fork behaves ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Do you think rear shock set up can also affect how the front fork behaves ?

So I ask this question simply because today I went out to the bike park with a few subtle changes to my rear shock set up (fox performance dps) ,I mainly ride it in trail mode in local trails (not any more) but today rode it in full open mode with a few less psi to get more of a supple ride, I found that since I made this change I was also riding much faster and then using about 20% more front fork travel too , have you noticed that small changes to the rear can make such an impact on the front too ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by leecarey212 View Post
    So I ask this question simply because today I went out to the bike park with a few subtle changes to my rear shock set up (fox performance dps) ,I mainly ride it in trail mode in local trails (not any more) but today rode it in full open mode with a few less psi to get more of a supple ride, I found that since I made this change I was also riding much faster and then using about 20% more front fork travel too , have you noticed that small changes to the rear can make such an impact on the front too ?

When you're setting up a full suspension bike, you don't just set up the front and rear in isolation from each other. They need to be well balanced with each other. So in a sense, yes, the setup of one can affect the other.

Professional Crastinator

If you've ever set up a bike low (more sag) in the front and high in the rear it sheds a lot of light on how bad an unbalanced FS bike can be.

Once you get your volume spacers and pressures all figgered out (and balanced), the results are notably better.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for the responses, I always thought that I had it quite well balanced before but Iím now starting to think other wise , I definitely enjoyed this setup more and my times were a lot faster, surprising how much difference 5 psi really makes isnít it?

No known cure
    I think it comes down to personal preferance. When I test ride customers bikes that come through the shop, I see plenty of silliness, from my point of view at least. Almost locked out rear suspension is common.

I like both ends to feel equally damped with a touch more travel up front. I should mention I've never owned a fork or shock that contained an air spring. I like to be glued to the ground instead of popping off trail features.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I think it comes down to personal preferance. When I test ride customers bikes that come through the shop, I see plenty of silliness, from my point of view at least. Almost locked out rear suspension is common.

I like both ends to feel equally damped with a touch more travel up front. I should mention I've never owned a fork or shock that contained an air spring. I like to be glued to the ground instead of popping off trail features.
    I think personal preference is a good point, Iím always looking for that impossible unicorn set up , I must admit through I was surprised at how balanced the bike felt from drops and then how wrong I must have had the previous set up without even realising

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Or could the changes simply be from riding the shock in open mode rather than trail mode ?

Professional Crastinator
    Thanks for the responses, I always thought that I had it quite well balanced before but Iím now starting to think other wise , I definitely enjoyed this setup more and my times were a lot faster, surprising how much difference 5 psi really makes isnít it?

I typically ride rigid because I get tired of tweaking suspension, but I had a FS bike set up how I figured would be "balanced". It had the slightest tendency to brake dive a bit too much on steeps. Stiffening up the front, by maybe 5 psi, was the difference between sitting in the middle of the bike and having good control on DHs vs. hanging mostly in the backseat to keep the front up - an uncomfortable state of constant body English. Of course, at one time the rear was too low and wallowed when I pedaled hard. For me, that Goldilocks set-up is a very thin margin. Hence, rigid bike.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.