Diy- Mtbr.com

Thread: Diy

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Diy

Has anyone made their own fork bushing removal and/or installation tools. I see why most will send them in for service because of the cost of the tools. I could be wrong, but they look fairly simple to make.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Bench vice, some sockets of varying sizes, grease, and steady hands.

namagomi
    A picture is worth a thousand words...

I've heard a few people don't bother to remove the bushing and instead force it further down...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ok I'm stupid. My eyes saw fork and my brain read shock.

The bench vice thing is only for shocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've heard a few people don't bother to remove the bushing and instead force it further down...[/QUOTE]

That does not sound like a good idea. At some point you will have a pile that cannot be removed. Also does not address the installation of new bushings, which will be necessary

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by fused

That does not sound like a good idea. At some point you will have a pile that cannot be removed. Also does not address the installation of new bushings, which will be necessary
    Probably, depends on how long you'll use the lowers for and how quickly those bushings wear.

At least you're 50% there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fused
    Has anyone made their own fork bushing removal and/or installation tools. I see why most will send them in for service because of the cost of the tools. I could be wrong, but they look fairly simple to make.
    I successfully pulled the bushings out of and older ('04) RS SID using this:

And put in new bushing using this:

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Very nice Macguyvering! Did you grind that washer on your removal tool? Also would you mind describing your install tool and how you used it. I have not started on my project yet, but now you have me excited to get on with it !. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I found a washer that would perfectly hook behind the bushing without being larger than the diameter of the bushing. Then I ground 2 edges square so the washer could swing thru the bushing and grab the backside. Little tap with the rubber mallet and the bushings were out. I found no evidence of scrapping on the inside of the lowers.

The installation tool is a block of wood with a dowel and some metal electrical conduit. I only used this to install the lower bushings. You can carefully tap the upper bushings in with a variety of items. Anyway, back to the lower bushings. First, find a piece of conduit with an OD equal to or nearly equal to the OD of the new bushing. Next, pull the upper bushing. Place the conduit into the lower until it meets with the lower bushing and very carefully mark the depth to the top of the lower. Now cut your conduit to length, build the fancy stop block and wood dowel. Slide your bushing installer onto the dowel. Slide a new bushing on top of the installer. Pull the old bushing out of the lower. Carefully place the lower over the dowel and new bushing and slowly tap it down until the lower top mets the stop block. Install upper bushing.

Took me much longer to create the tools than do the bushing work.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice work CMi!

mtbr member
    I mentioned spokes and a vice in the other thread. I think it scared some people.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    I mentioned spokes and a vice in the other thread. I think it scared some people.
    Haha, good idea.. but would you have to wedge something down the lower to keep the spoke pushing on the bushing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Haha, good idea.. but would you have to wedge something down the lower to keep the spoke pushing on the bushing?
    I've only done it once, the spoke head hooked the bushing quite well.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah I think I will skip the spoke method, CMi_rider's tool looks pretty straightforward to assemble. One think I am not clear on is your stop block, is it visible in the picture? Oh, I think I finally see it, is it the chunk of 1x4 sticking out forward and to the right of the dowel?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thats it. It is setting in a bench vice. I recessed the dowel and put a srew thru the bottom to hold it in place. Also, notice the dowel is on the edge of a rounded corner. This is to allow the lower to reach all the way down to the block.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Really nice work!. You made fully functional tools from random bits that you probably had laying around. I hope you had fun doing this. Even if a person has the money to throw at a project, its still cool to be able to say "Yeah I figured it out". You have my vote for the Hillbilly Engineering award!. Appreciate you sharing all the info.

Members who have read this thread: 0