Did I bust my Rockshox Deluxe rear shock?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Did I bust my Rockshox Deluxe rear shock?

Hello,

I have a Trek Powerfly full-suspension E-Bike 2019.
    I am a beginner to mountain bikes, and so unfortunately I don't know what I'm doing.

My Trek comes with a Rockshox Deluxe RL shock, which has a 2 position blue compression knob; please see photo below:

I was experimenting with my shock before understanding that my compression knob had only 2 settings (locked, and open - see blue graphic on the shock in the photo above).

But in experimenting with compression, I saw only at the red graphic on the shock - thinking it was for the compression dial (when in fact the graphic is for the rebound adjustment).

Looking at the red graphic, I turned the knob (too forcefully) counterclockwise (when looking at the knob from the front) - beyond it's intended range.

The knob now clicks at three positions, instead of the intended two (lockout and open):

The third photo in the series above shows the artificial 3rd position/click (at 4 o'clock) that I caused after forcing the knob too much counterclockwise.

The closed/lockout (8 o'clock) position still appears to work, as does the open (6 o'clock) position.
    Nothing seems to change when I move the knob from the open (6 o'clock) position to my artificially created 3rd position/click at 4 o'clock.

I took the bike to the bike shop; the mechanic said the shock still works, so don't worry about it, just keep an eye on it.

I'm very OCD - I was thinking I should have the shock replaced.
    I'm embarrassed to go back to the shop and ask for an unnecessary replacement (I would pay the cost of-course).

But is my mechanic correct in saying a replacement is not necessary?
    By forcing the knob to a 3rd position or stop - is the shock indeed still good, is it safe???

(I read somewhere in another forum in which the poster said his knob was broken, and as a result, he saw oil leaking out the knob.
    And a YouTuber said in a video a broken shock under pressure could blow up).

So my question is: - should I just "keep an eye on things" as suggested by bike shop, or should I just purchase a new one?

Thanks in advance!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I bust my Rockshox Deluxe rear shock?-blue-comprssion-knob-only-2-positions.png  

Did I bust my Rockshox Deluxe rear shock?-compression-adjuster-closed.jpg  

Did I bust my Rockshox Deluxe rear shock?-compression-adjuster-open.jpg  

Did I bust my Rockshox Deluxe rear shock?-newly-created-3rd-position-compressiom-adjuster.jpg  

mtbr member
    You've likely bent/broken the stop screw inside. If there's no other issues it can stay like that until service time.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by borgey007 View Post
    Hello,

I have a Trek Powerfly full-suspension E-Bike 2019.
    I am a beginner to mountain bikes, and so unfortunately I don't know what I'm doing.

My Trek comes with a Rockshox Deluxe RL shock, which has a 2 position blue compression knob; please see photo below:

I was experimenting with my shock before understanding that my compression knob had only 2 settings (locked, and open - see blue graphic on the shock in the photo above).

But in experimenting with compression, I saw only at the red graphic on the shock - thinking it was for the compression dial (when in fact the graphic is for the rebound adjustment).

Looking at the red graphic, I turned the knob (too forcefully) counterclockwise (when looking at the knob from the front) - beyond it's intended range.

The knob now clicks at three positions, instead of the intended two (lockout and open):

The third photo in the series above shows the artificial 3rd position/click (at 4 o'clock) that I caused after forcing the knob too much counterclockwise.

The closed/lockout (8 o'clock) position still appears to work, as does the open (6 o'clock) position.
    Nothing seems to change when I move the knob from the open (6 o'clock) position to my artificially created 3rd position/click at 4 o'clock.

I took the bike to the bike shop; the mechanic said the shock still works, so don't worry about it, just keep an eye on it.

I'm very OCD - I was thinking I should have the shock replaced.
    I'm embarrassed to go back to the shop and ask for an unnecessary replacement (I would pay the cost of-course).

But is my mechanic correct in saying a replacement is not necessary?
    By forcing the knob to a 3rd position or stop - is the shock indeed still good, is it safe???

(I read somewhere in another forum in which the poster said his knob was broken, and as a result, he saw oil leaking out the knob.
    And a YouTuber said in a video a broken shock under pressure could blow up).

So my question is: - should I just "keep an eye on things" as suggested by bike shop, or should I just purchase a new one?

Thanks in advance!!

I am not very familiar with suspension, however I looked up that shock. I guess I'm not very sure what you mean about the 4:00 position "not doing anything". Do you mean it does not require any additional effort to squat the shock, therefore that adjustment doesn't seem to be doing anything for changing compression or do you mean the lever (assume you mean the lever, not the knob) rotates freely from 6:00 to 4:00?

A quick read of the shock makes it sound as if the shock is meant to be used with the lever in the center position and only offers fine tuning to lock and softer.

Is the mechanic you worked with familiar with that shock? Sounds like it's a new technology (I briefly look and found an article on the 2020 Rockshox Deluxe).

I hope it's nothing. I'd hate to see you throw away good money on a new shock for no reason aside from OCD. Could be worth them to 'service' the shock, an inspection during tear down to figure out if/what has gone wrong internally.

I had my forks (rockshox) serviced a couple years ago. Once returned to me, the 3 position adjustment was 'off' from where it was when I took it in. The compression lever was in a different position, and continued further than the 'stop' position. Turns out there is a small plate under the lever to align the stop positions. In my opinion, the fork has an infinite adjustment from open to lock, but with the detent it becomes easier for the rider to dial in a position of 3 and be satisfied where in realize there is no reason why I can't pick a point between two of the detents if I feel the desire to have a slight adjustment (not that I ever do, but it is possible). There is nothing internal to the fork that prevents infinite adjustment -I hope the lever in your case is similar.

Fork was serviced again a few weeks go, different mechanic at different shop, installed lever in a different position. I will set it back to 'my normal' so I can see the position to know quickly i it is open or set stiffer. Before hitting a jump line or something, I can see if the lever position is what I expect it to be for open (could have forgotten to open it after a climb, for example).

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    I am not very familiar with suspension, however I looked up that shock. I guess I'm not very sure what you mean about the 4:00 position "not doing anything". Do you mean it does not require any additional effort to squat the shock, therefore that adjustment doesn't seem to be doing anything for changing compression or do you mean the lever (assume you mean the lever, not the knob) rotates freely from 6:00 to 4:00?
    Hey thanks so much Dougal and Forest Rider for your responses.

In answer to your question, Forest Rider, what happens when I move from 6:00 to 4:00 - the lever moves freely from 6:00 to 4:00; where it stops at 4:00.

So now the compression knob on my shock clicks at 3 positions - 8:00 (closed), 6:00 (open), and 4:00 (the 3rd artificial click I created by turning the knob too far counterclockwise).

Nothing seems to change when I turn the compression knob from 6:00 to 4:00 (that extra click I created).

As I mentioned, the model shock I have (Rockshox Deluxe RL) is only supposed to have 2 clicks: closed (at 8:00) and open (at 6:00).

I suspect Dougal is correct, I broke or bent a stop inside the shock - so now I have 3 clicks instead of 2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by borgey007 View Post
    Hey thanks so much Dougal and Forest Rider for your responses.

In answer to your question, Forest Rider, what happens when I move from 6:00 to 4:00 - the lever moves freely from 6:00 to 4:00; where it stops at 4:00.

So now the compression knob on my shock clicks at 3 positions - 8:00 (closed), 6:00 (open), and 4:00 (the 3rd artificial click I created by turning the knob too far counterclockwise).

Nothing seems to change when I turn the compression knob from 6:00 to 4:00 (that extra click I created).

As I mentioned, the model shock I have (Rockshox Deluxe RL) is only supposed to have 2 clicks: closed (at 8:00) and open (at 6:00).

I suspect Dougal is correct, I broke or bent a stop inside the shock - so now I have 3 clicks instead of 2.
    I won't be able to fix your problem, but I am still confused.
    If the lever (knob?) moves freely from 8:00 to 4:00, how does it click at 6:00? First paragraph contradicts the 2nd paragraph.

You are 100% confident the lever is not meant to lock in at 6:00, the standard position of the Rockshox Delux.

Maybe my questions don't make sense to a suspension person, just in case though, maybe it will help somebody else help troubleshoot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    I won't be able to fix your problem, but I am still confused.
    If the lever (knob?) moves freely from 8:00 to 4:00, how does it click at 6:00? First paragraph contradicts the 2nd paragraph.

You are 100% confident the lever is not meant to lock in at 6:00, the standard position of the Rockshox Delux.

Maybe my questions don't make sense to a suspension person, just in case though, maybe it will help somebody else help troubleshoot.
    Sorry, I was not clear.
    The lever does not move freely from 8:00 to 4:00; the lever does indeed stop at 6:00, when moving it from 8:00.

But because of the force I used in turning the lever further counterclockwise (I thought the lever had 3 clicks or stops), I created a new stop at 4:00.

So now I have 3 clicks: 8:00, 6:00, and the artificially created stop at 4:00.

As Dougal said in an earlier post, I likely broke a stop screw inside - so that now I can turn the lever beyond 6:00, i.e., to 4:00.

Appreciate very much your interest, and willingness to help!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Okay, gotcha.

Hope it's nothing bad. Seems like an oddity.

I rented a bike when I was shopping around for a new bike. I had never used a shock before (hard tail). The shop was airing up the shock based on my weight. I noticed the 3-position lever didn't seem to do anything, it just spun freely. I asked shop guy about it and do not recall the answer. I have no idea if the shock worked as it was meant to in terms of being able to lock out or go fully open. The bike seemed to ride as I'd expect, but I had no idea what a lockout was or what open meant or why one would make adjustments.

Seems it is easily possible to damage how the lever locks into a position. My experience was with Fox, so both systems seem to allow easy damage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup its a bent spigot on the stop screw, not a major concern and easily fixed whenever it gets serviced
    www.thesuspensionlab.nz
    Servicing in Rotorua, NZ/Vorsprung Elite Tuning Centre/DVO service centre/Insta @thesuspensionlab

Shartacular Spectacular
    I think itís a sign...
    18í SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9's, Float X2

18' SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9's, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

... and if we just ...

Thanks Dougal, Forest Rider, JohnnyC7, Shatist, for all of your input!!!
    It's great of you all to read my long post, and then take the time to respond!!!
    I am much reasurred. and all responses much appreciated!!
    Oh Shatist, I do hope worse things will not come. Because of my serious lack of mechanical abilities, I am now extra careful in exploring the capabilities and all those dials on my bike (but not too too careful; I already got my first paint chip on the downtube). Will now start a whole new thread whether I should have my entire bike repainted because of the small paint chip! NAW, JUST KIDDING!
    Thanks again for everthing!!
    Last edited by borgey007; 09-04-2019 at 02:59 PM.