Did I break my DVO Diamond OTT ?- Mtbr.com
    EAT MORE GRIME

Did I break my DVO Diamond OTT ?

I asked DVO and am awaiting a response. I know they are busy..

------------------
    2017 Diamond 110 BOOST 170mm 27.5

----
    So I was going to start testing OTT settings,

and with the fork at 135psi
    I flipped bike over and wanted to check the full range of OTT
    (14 full rotations) to locate where it is sitting right now...

While I was checking full counter-clockwise,
    that went OK, but when checking full clockwise, it started getting super tough and super notchy after 11 rotations.

I stopped and tried backing it off, and it was still super notchy and tough to turn counterclockwise.

It felt like I busted something in there, no way to turn it any direction without grinding and notchiness and it just was not smooth like the start.

I let the air all out, flipped bike over again and started working the OTT. It got smooth again and I got all the normal smooth feel and 6 clicks per rotation. So I then set it where I wanted and aired it up.

My question: do you think I might have busted or damaged anything in there ? or was something just sticking because I had too much air in it and OTT should be adjusted without air pressure ?
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Ott should be adjusted with no air in the main. You were fighting the air pressure which is why it felt so notchy. Unless you started cranking it down with vice grips or something I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    Ott should be adjusted with no air in the main. You were fighting the air pressure which is why it felt so notchy. Unless you started cranking it down with vice grips or something I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where in the manual does it state that you need to remove the air pressure?

When you are adjusting OTT you are basically tightening or loosening a spring so it might feel super smooth.

BTW it doesnít mention anything in the manual about removing pressure. You donít need to imo

EAT MORE GRIME
    DVO responded. I should be fine.

Ronnie Dilan (DVO Suspension)
    May 29, 14:55 PDT

The OTT is easier to adjust with no pressure in the system. The higher pressure put quite a load on the spring and may cause some binding during adjustment.
    Ronnie

-----------
    as far as where in the manual does it say relieve pressure to adjust OTT, it is not in the current manual for my Diamond 110 Boost 27.5 , but after doing some internet digging, they have recommended adjusting OTT on other forks with pressure removed.

the Emerald page has the OTT remove pressure warning in red

http://tech.dvosuspension.com/setup/emerald/ott-guide/
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 05-31-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Interesting as my sapphires just arrived and so am I correct in reading your statement reply from DVO that OTT is adjusted with absolutely NO AIR ?

thanks in advance
    Riding bikes means life behind bars, except no TV :-d

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstigator View Post
    Interesting as my sapphires just arrived and so am I correct in reading your statement reply from DVO that OTT is adjusted with absolutely NO AIR ?

thanks in advance
    yeah. go ahead and start to adjust it with air inside, but if the nut is anything but butter smooth, with smooth clicks, let out the air out all the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Cheers for swift response buddy

I shall play it by ear ... watch this space ... lol
    Riding bikes means life behind bars, except no TV :-d

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It's a good idea to drop the pressure before adjusting for another reason; the internal hex that drives the OTT is 4mm aluminum. If you have pressure in the air-spring, you won't be able to tell when you hit the end of the adjustment, and it's easy to break that aluminum hex internally. It's a hard stop, but with all that pressure it's hard to tell when it ramps up, so it's just a bit of extra torque, and _snap_.
    Yes, I found that out the hard way. Also, if you're a heavier rider, you may run into issues with top-out. I was getting a bit of a bump from the forks when climbing, and it was driving me crazy, but the only option appears to be slightly lower pressure and more high-speed compression damping. I'm 205 lbs fully loaded.