DHX2 With MRP Progressive Spring on Fuel EX Clearance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

DHX2 With MRP Progressive Spring on Fuel EX Clearance

Hey Guys,

I installed a 2021 Fox DHX2 with an MRP 400+ progressive spring (416g) on my 2020 Trek Fuel Ex 9.9. Using a feeler gauge, I have roughly .75mm of clearance between the spring and seat tube. The OD of the spring is about 56mm.
    I have already set the sag and noticed that by hand I can move the spring around a slight amount in the spring spacers to the point where it just very slightly touches the seat tube.
    I know that when it compresses it will move away from the seat tube, but my main concern is how much will the spring move around in the spring spacers while riding and will I have to worry about it rubbing the seat tube?
    I also purchased the Fox SLS spring (295g) in 450lb and the OD is about 2.5mm less than the MRP so I know it will fit no problem.
    I would much rather run the MRP progressive spring than the Fox linear spring though.
    Just wondering your thoughts on this?
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DHX2 With MRP Progressive Spring on Fuel EX Clearance-117247937_10157696571698931_4229626790287015399_n.jpg  

DHX2 With MRP Progressive Spring on Fuel EX Clearance-117340275_10157696571848931_7085517498414082557_n.jpg  

DHX2 With MRP Progressive Spring on Fuel EX Clearance-117347715_10157698198378931_348739092797014406_n.jpg  

Last edited by Awhitt82; 08-16-2020 at 07:19 AM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I assume you mean hitting the seat tube. I just installed a Hazzard on my 2020 Fuel with the MRP spring. Mine is the EX8, though. Itís definitely close to the seat tube, but I canít move the sprung by hand. Is your preload set properly?
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I assume you mean hitting the seat tube. I just installed a Hazzard on my 2020 Fuel with the MRP spring. Mine is the EX8, though. Itís definitely close to the seat tube, but I canít move the sprung by hand. Is your preload set properly?
    Yeah sorry the seat tube. Edited my post...
    I wonder if there's any differences between the carbon and alloy models as far as clearance?
    Yes I have pre-load and sag set. The ID of MRP progressive spring is 38mm so I had to buy spring adapters from MRP that fit over the Fox hardware because Fox springs are 35mm ID.
    So with sag set you can still push and pull back and forth on the spring and it will move around just a slight amount which is normal freeplay I'm assuming?
    Maybe try it on yours and see what it does.....

Also, when setting sag should HSC & LSC be set wide open?
    Thanks

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I set sag with the shock settings where I run them. The climb switch is open.

I have the same bulge is the seat tube. Hard to measure, but it looks like I have 2-3mm of clearance at that spot, unsagged. I can move the spring very slightly from the bottom coil bucket. Definitely not enough to make the spring hit the frame. I run about two full turns of preload.

How are you setting sag? Coil is harder. I use a two-person method, measuring the eye-to-eye distance when sagged. At rider weight of 190 geared with a 500# progressive spring, Iím at roughly 31-ish % sag.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I set sag with the shock settings where I run them. The climb switch is open.

I have the same bulge is the seat tube. Hard to measure, but it looks like I have 2-3mm of clearance at that spot, unsagged. I can move the spring very slightly from the bottom coil bucket. Definitely not enough to make the spring hit the frame. I run about two full turns of preload.

How are you setting sag? Coil is harder. I use a two-person method, measuring the eye-to-eye distance when sagged. At rider weight of 190 geared with a 500# progressive spring, Iím at roughly 31-ish % sag.
    I set sag with climb switch, HSC & LSC wide open.
    You definitely have more clearance than me. I wonder if I should just try the Fox spring and see what I end up with for clearance.

I am setting sag by turning pre load adjuster to where it just touches the spring and thereís no free play up and down. Then Fox says turn pre load adjuster 8 clicks clockwise. (6 clicks is considered 1 full turn) The 2021 DHX2 now has detents on the adjuster. I am pretty much at 9 clicks to get around 18mm Of sag (33%). I just wear a backpack with 15lb weight to act as my geared up weight and I am roughly 175lbs.
    I move the rubber bumper piece up to the bottom of the shock body and then measure the gap between the 2 after sitting on the bike.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I have a couple thoughts. First, at your weight, Iím betting your sag isnít what you think. Try getting someone to help you and measure your sag via eye-to-eye. I suspect you need to bump to a 450 spring.

In the interim, try dialing in more preload and see how that affects your spring movement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have a couple thoughts. First, at your weight, Iím betting your sag isnít what you think. Try getting someone to help you and measure your sag via eye-to-eye. I suspect you need to bump to a 450 spring.

In the interim, try dialing in more preload and see how that affects your spring movement.
    Unfortunately I donít know anyone or have anyone that can help me. Haven't lived here in AZ long. I was going off a video that Fox has that shows how to measure sag on a coil using the rubber bumper piece.
    So the 400+ Progressive spring will act as a 450 toward 90% of the travel. TF Tuned spring calculator says for my weight (I did 170) because no gear Iím around 160lbs and just used the 15lb weight to try and get close without wearing all my gear and hydration which is usually 3.5 liters that for single pivot suspension I need a 380lb spring and 4 bar suspension itís 413Lb spring at 33% sag.
    Fox & MRP spring calculators both say 400lb spring for 170lb rider weight, 30% sag, 55mm stroke, & 130mm rear wheel travel.
    I did dial in a lot more preload and no matter what the spring still has minor free play. Fox says anything more than 26 clicks clockwise you will need a heavier spring so I think Iím in the correct range.
    I guess I really just need to do a test ride and check the spring to see if it moves much.
    I think I'll also try the 450 Fox spring I have and see how it compares for preload/sag and I know I'll get the clearance with it, but like I said I'd rather use progressive spring....

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Iím in midtown Phx if you want help. Riding Hawes Monday morning and SoMo Tuesday morning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Iím in midtown Phx if you want help. Riding Hawes Monday morning and SoMo Tuesday morning.
    Thank you I appreciate the offer, but I work 3rd shift and get home around 730am so I usually only ride in the afternoon on a day off which the heat has been brutal lately....
    I live right next to Papago Park so I think Thursday afternoon I may take a quick ride over and just see how it rides and keep an eye on the spring for movement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I just ordered a Cane Creek Valt progressive spring in 55mm 400-488lbs.
    It is a bit smaller in diameter than the MRP so I think it may fit better plus it is lighter. Just not a big fan of the white color, but oh well...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    So my Cane Creek spring will be here tomorrow and I am reading that no spring retainer converter is needed to fit the DHX2 and it should fit direct, but ID on it is 36.5mm and Fox is 35mm. I guess I'll find out when I get it.
    Another big issue I'm having now is that I can't get the damn MRP spring retainer adapters off the Fox retainers and they are on so tight.
    I ended up damaging the lower as I had to use a flat head screwdriver and pretty much use a hammer to try and separate them so I will need to order a lower Fox spring retainer.
    Still figuring out how to remove the upper now. I ordered a Dremel and thinking if I cut into the MRP adapter lightly and see if I get get it off that way without damaging the pre-load adjuster......

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

CC Valt adapter for DHX2

Wear safety glasses - carefully use a sharp edged razor blade to wedge between the adapters, don't pry or lever it or you'll snap the blade. Work it the full way around and you'll be able to get a small flat head screwdriver in there. Wrap the tip in electrical tape for more non-scratchyness.

I've got a variety of non-fox springs for my dhx2 and a few adapters I had to mod.

For CC Valt/ progressive, 2 x "Cane Creek VALT Spring Clip Converter for Fox Shocks"

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...for-fox-shocks

It doesn't fit the DHX2 35mm clip, so I used a dremel and opened the ID out a bit and got a good snug fit. Need a razor to seperate them but its easy. Little bit of grease between adapter clips will help.

The spring has a tiny bit of play side to side, you can use electrical tape to take up the gap to snug it up on one or both ends.

Name:  2019.05.18.DHX2-CC-ClipMo1.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  2019.05.18.DHX2-CC-ClipMod3.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  2019.05.18.DHX2-CC-ClipMod2.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  55.8 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Awesome info thank you!!
    Never thought of trying a razor blade. I was trying to use a feeler gauge on the upper to separate them and even the thinnest one I couldn't even get it in between the retainers....
    My Dremel won't be here til Friday, but I'll try the razor blade carefully and see if I can enough of a gap to get a small flat head in there and spread them apart.
    So using come calipers the Fox spring retainers are about 35.15mm OD and the Fox SLS spring is actually just shy of 36mm ID.
    Not sure what year your shock is, but mine is a 2021 which I know is all new so not sure if the spring retainers are same size as previous year DHX2.
    The Cane Creek Spring is about 36.5mm ID. Even the Fox spring retainer on Fox spring has side to side movement just a bit and with the Cane Creek spring it's a bit more so I guess I'll have to order the spring clip adapters now.....
    Did you just use the sanding wheel thing on the inside of the CC clips to open them up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hey sorry for the late reply. I did the work on the clips at a mates place, with his equipment, last year. The other day I asked him about the tool setup.

- Turns out I was mistaken and assumed it was with the dremel, but was actually using a dental technician rotary tool which is similar but has a different chuck and won't fit standard dremel bits.

- Likely used a carbide impregnated rubber dental burr which are 0.8mm shaft, he thinks you can get a chuck for them to fit a dremel.

https://images.app.goo.gl/RfvKsQ73nBX1Yifk8

- There's nothing special about the clip material so I think he just gave me a fancy setup to use. I'm not sure what bits you get with the dremel kit but can't be too difficult to sort it out, if you haven't already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DHX2 With MRP Progressive Spring on Fuel EX Clearance-dental-lab-50pcs-silicone-polishing-burs-rubber-polishers-diamond-2-35mm-shank-new.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Use a few wraps of electrical or painters tape around the circumference of the clip to take up that bit of play if you want to. It will settle down some potential creaky noises too.

I'm on a 2019 DHX2 and the Fox clip is ~35mm.

I was keen on getting a 2021 DHX2 but Fox has discontinued my size, 200x57.

Have you been for a spin on the progressive coil yet?

DHX2 With MRP Progressive Spring on Fuel EX Clearance-img_2429.jpg

DHX2 With MRP Progressive Spring on Fuel EX Clearance-img_2430.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    So I used my Dremel and a cutting wheel to cut a small notch into the upper preload MRP adapter and cut just enough to not go all the way through then I was able to get a razor blade in there and a small flat head to separate the 2 and no damage done to the Fox preload adjuster!
    Fox also sent me the lower spring retainer free of charge since I messed the original one up trying to get the adapter off....

I then used a sanding drum on the Cane Creek adapters and each one took about 5 minutes to sand down the insides so they would fit over the Fox retainers. Also used some grease and they fit perfect and can get them on and off easily!

I am happy with the CC spring as there is very little free play of it back and forth so no electrical tape was needed and it clears my seat tube now with no problem! I have about 15 clicks of preload on the spring to get my sag set at just over 17mm. The 2021 DHX2 has clicks on the pre-load adjuster now and they say max amount of clockwise clicks is 26 otherwise you'll need a higher spring rate.
    Haven't been able to ride yet, but planning on Thursday to see how it is!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ---