DHX 5.0 coil or Manitou 4-way coil?- Mtbr.com
    Bike to the Bone...

DHX 5.0 coil or Manitou 4-way coil?

I'm 230 lbs plus gear, and I'm thinking that a coil shock would be plusher and support my weight better in the long run.

I have a Titus Motolite with a RP-3. To be honest, there's nothing wrong with my RP3, but I just think I have an UGI attack.

I'm leaning to the DHX 5.0 coil, but how would they compare?

Also, which are the advantages of a Ti coil vs standard coil? Is it just a bling factor, weight factor (if so, how much)? or would it have better performance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

When I was about to pull the trigger on my Swinger 4-way coil I browsed the forums for feedback on the shock but couldn't find much. I didn't find too much that was bad about the shock although I did read in this months Mountain Bike Action (I think it was MBA) that a lot (not quite sure how many LBS is "a lot") of LBS have had problems with the Swinger 4-way coil leaking oil. Don't know if its true or not.

I ended up purchasing the 4-way for cheap from a forum member. I haven't tried it out yet so I can't give direct feedback but it seems to me that some Mountain biking products are left unhyped, yet perfectly operable. The plus side to that is they can usually be had for very cheap since they aren't in high demand.

Hard as nails
    I ran a 4 way Swinger for almost 2 years. At the time I used it mainly for aggr trail riding and some moderate FR (4-10ft) drops. It really performed quite well, the spv damping is a lor better than its two legged upright brotha (In terms of plushness, endless travel feeling and adjustability) It was on a 5" travel trail bike. No probs or install adjust and forget

mtbr member

4-Way been bomber for me

I have a 4-Way on an '05 Supermoto. It's been bomber for me - 9 months now. No leaks. I weigh ~ 180 w/ gear, 185 @ DH race. FR drop+ a lot of 5' tp flat, and I'm not the smoothest rider around.

FWIW, the DHX coil is about 1/4 lb lighter than the 4-way, stock. W/ a Ti spring, the DHX ishould be alomst a pound lighter.

"Its All Good"
    I had a Ti Spring on my DHX 5 coil shock. The weight difference is not huge, not as much as what some think. It is hard to explain, but I loved the action or compression with the Ti spring over the steel spring, far better. I fit was in the deal, I would go for the Ti spring.

Looks more bling too.

I too would take the Dhx over the Manitou 4 Way, more adjustable etc..................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Bike to the Bone...
    Thanks for the reply. I opted for a DHX coil, now all I have to do is wait, wait, wait. Well, probably not that long

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Thanks for the reply. I opted for a DHX coil, now all I have to do is wait, wait, wait. Well, probably not that long
    Dude, good decsion, will be worth the wait I feel.............. I think waiting is something that we have to do with our scooters it seems................Todo bien !
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Members who have read this thread: 0