Decisions Decisions- Mtbr.com

Jun 2009

Decisions Decisions

So I went back about 5-6 pages and couldn't find anything addressing my question here. I'm wanting to upgrade the stock SR Suntour XCM V2 that came on my ride with something a little more credible and durable. I don't have a huge budget, but have more or less narrowed down my options to a Rock Shox Tora or a Marzocchi 33 TST2 or Marzocchi 44 TST2.

Is there really that much difference between the two Marzocchi's. The 33 is listed at pricepoint.com for just under $240 and the 44 is listed at jensonusa.com for only about $10 more. Not a whole lot of reviews for either of those two items.

I'm also curious about the real difference between the Tora 302 coil and the Tora 318 coil other than about $50 on jensonusa's website. Reading the descriptions there and at other sites it sounds pretty much like the same fork.

I'll also take any other recommendations around that price range if any of you folks have got any. Whichever fork I end up with it will be used pretty much strictly for XC only.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Go with the Tora 318 since it has the best damping out of all four forks.

Marzocchi's TST is a flawed system which needs to die. It doesn't have a proper low speed and high speed compression circuit, so you're going to have spiking. It's basically the same issue with the Tora 302; it has a simple damping system which has pretty severe performance deficiencies.

Jun 2009
    Are you familiar at all with the Magura Odur? I know it's the Magura entry level fork, but I haven't read a bad review on it and www.chainreactioncycles.com has it listed for like $322. If I'm going to get that much better value out of that, I'd honestly almost be more inclined to drop the extra hundred dollars over the Tora 318. As far as the 318 goes, though, is air recommended over coil? I'm still a little new to this, but I don't want a saggy fork like the stock piece on my bike currently (though it claims to have preload adjustment and does have a lockout), and weighing 240 lbs, I don't want to end up with something that's going to droop as I ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow, a lot of questions there.

It's been very hard getting information on Magura's damping systems, but at best it will be the equal of Rock Shox's Motion Control. You want also want to consider Rock Shox is based in the US with excellent customer support.

Since you're a big guy, if you go with the coil Tora, you'll need to buy a heavier spring for it. The coil probably won't have enough preload adjustmen to set the proper sag for you, and you don't want to run a coil with a ton of preload anyway. For that reason alone, you might just want to go with the air to make setup easier.

Former Bike Wrench
    There are many 300lbs+ plus riders on the Tora 318 Solo Air on MTBR forums...so while I agree that the Tora 318 is the fork to get, it doesn't need to be the coil and IMO the Solo Air is the better XC choice as it has an infinitely adjustable spring.

I'm personally 230lbs and riding a Solo Air with great success

Members who have read this thread: 0