Cracking sound while compressing DPX2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Cracking sound while compressing DPX2

Hi there

I swapped the volume spacer in my dpx2 and now have a loud cracking sound every time the shock compresses.

Seemed like a simple procedure. One hiccup I had was when unscrewing the can it came off the stanchion, when that happened blue fluid came through the can. I cleaned it up and screwed the can back on with a new spacer. Once I inflated the creaking noise was very noticeable. I deflated and cycled through the travel dozens of times, but the sound is still there. Anyone know what could be going on?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jackandrew View Post
    Hi there

I swapped the volume spacer in my dpx2 and now have a loud cracking sound every time the shock compresses.

Seemed like a simple procedure. One hiccup I had was when unscrewing the can it came off the stanchion, when that happened blue fluid came through the can. I cleaned it up and screwed the can back on with a new spacer. Once I inflated the creaking noise was very noticeable. I deflated and cycled through the travel dozens of times, but the sound is still there. Anyone know what could be going on?

Thanks!
    You may have not put the little silver shim washer back to the top of the shock. You need to put that at the top, and move the rubber o-ring below it to keep it in place.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kerpoise View Post
    You may have not put the little silver shim washer back to the top of the shock. You need to put that at the top, and move the rubber o-ring below it to keep it in place.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried pushing it as far as it will go, but the sound is still present.

ZSW
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Can you hear the noise when compressing the shock it off the bike? Could be the mounting hardware making the noise.