Coil sprung gains?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    139

    Coil sprung gains?

    Damping properties aside, what would i gain by switching to front/rear coil shocks from my current Dual Air REV Team (which i like but maybe want something a bit more stout) and Monarch RT3 (not so happy so this getting changed in some way).
    I am on a 5 and 5 trail bike with a falling rate suspension rate (so i would go custom if i went coil there).

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,865
    Quote Originally Posted by cskolnick
    Damping properties aside, what would i gain by switching to front/rear coil shocks from my current Dual Air REV Team (which i like but maybe want something a bit more stout) and Monarch RT3 (not so happy so this getting changed in some way).
    I am on a 5 and 5 trail bike with a falling rate suspension rate (so i would go custom if i went coil there).
    A coil spring offers excellent support and a linear spring curve. I don't care for air shocks one bit. I rode a Pike Dual Air & coil back to back - coil just felt smoother w/ less mid-stroke wallow. I have a Pike coil & CCDB on my 5" trail bike which feels great. A Lyrik U-turn up front and quality coil shock would make for a nice package.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    A coil spring offers excellent support and a linear spring curve. I don't care for air shocks one bit. I rode a Pike Dual Air & coil back to back - coil just felt smoother w/ less mid-stroke wallow. I have a Pike coil & CCDB on my 5" trail bike which feels great. A Lyrik U-turn up front and quality coil shock would make for a nice package.

    Yeah the mid stroke wallow is absolutely something that i notice on the trail and i am not too fond of. Question for you or anyone that can answer:
    Are there any foreseeable problems with going with a 160mm Uturn Lyrik if i will most likely only run it 140-150mm? Will it effect performance negatively in some way? Will it wind back up somehow or affect spring weight/preload adversely? Is there i mod i can do to just make it a to the desired travel i want?
    Maybe it is just mental but anything about running an adjustable for at a static setting does not feel right but who knows.
    Thanks for the reply
    Also, what 5" bike are you on?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,865
    Quote Originally Posted by cskolnick
    Yeah the mid stroke wallow is absolutely something that i notice on the trail and i am not too fond of. Question for you or anyone that can answer:
    Are there any foreseeable problems with going with a 160mm Uturn Lyrik if i will most likely only run it 140-150mm? Will it effect performance negatively in some way? Will it wind back up somehow or affect spring weight/preload adversely? Is there i mod i can do to just make it a to the desired travel i want?
    Maybe it is just mental but anything about running an adjustable for at a static setting does not feel right but who knows.
    Thanks for the reply
    Also, what 5" bike are you on?

    Absolutely no issues running a U-turn coil fork @ a lower travel setting. I run a 140mm Pike @ 125mm. 650b Turner RFX.

  5. #5
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,764
    Yes, coil has smoother small bump compliance and more mid travel support. It does affect damping too, less damping is needed for the same travel, less compression and possibly a little less rebound damping for similar stability. Some bikes just aren't designed to use coil though, check with the manufacturer or an expert shock tuner, such as PUSH.

    I use my Lyrik u-turn set at 140mm most of the time on my 140mm rear travel bike. It's nice to raise 10mm for very rocky and up to 160 for fast and steep downhills.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.