Coil Sprung Forks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Coil Sprung Forks

I am thinking about a new fork for my currently rigid Ti winter bike. My Smoothie is air sprung front and rear and when the temps really drop during the winter, keeping track of air pressure becomes more of a pain than I care to deal with. I have also discovered that my body no longer appreciates the full rigid ride, particularly my wrists and arms. So I am thinking about asking Santa for a new fork. I love the Fox fork and shock on my F/S and my initial thought was a new Vanilla RLC set at 100mm. I'm sold on Fox, but not 100% sure I want to spend $500. Any recommendations on other Coil sprung forks are out there in the 4 lb. range with no more than 100mm of travel?
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

just along for the ride
    Get the vanilla r and save 100, great fork and less knobs to deal with Actually the RLC is worth the extra $ cause in the future you can send it to Push and get it custom tuned to your needs, have fun!

Bodhisattva
    Check out the RockShox Revelation. Available in air & coil, both with U-turn option.

enjoying the kool-aid
    I say get the Van RLC... you can get it for cheaper than $500.... I think I bought mine for around $430 and that was 6 months ago. You can also find them cheaper on ebay. One thing to note if you're interested in sending it to PUSH. You can buy a used one and PUSH will replace the guts of the fork when they do their mods so you'll end up with a new fork again at a cheaper price. No reason to buy a brand new full price fork and then have the guts end up sitting in the trash on PUSH.

A Vanilla will get a little harsh riding in the winter as well though as the temps fall and the oil thickens a bit. I've heard conflicting stories about changing the oil viscocity. Some say you shouldn't and it will void the warranty of the fork, others say they do it with no complaints or issues.... I haven't messed with mine yet though I am looking forward to have it PUSHed next season.

Now with 3 more inches!
    What about an '05 Marzocchi Marathon XC. $369 at Jenson.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...hon+Xc+05.aspx

Slightly over 4lbs.

"El Whatever"
    Agreed with Tigerdog.

Also, a much cheaper option is the RS Tora 318 U-Turn. At only 270 bucks is hard to beat. Only disadvantage is the pre-set Floodgate.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Check out Rock Shox SEKTORS. In a word the are BRILLIANT. Get them with the 20mm bolt through.

What could go wrong ...
    you do realize you replied to a thread that is 6 years old ...
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    No! well there you go, must have been a momentary lapse of reason

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Get some SEKTORS!

EDR
    RS has recently been purchased by SRAM and I hear their new stuff will be quite good. Hopefully the crappy quality of RS will turn around.

Personally I'd go with one of the new Pike series forks. They look promising.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    OK so I was SIX years late! 6 years ago my Giant VT 5.7" travel all mountain trail bike came with 120mm cross country forks. Now the same bike is still going but ONLY the frame is original and even that has new bearings, hangers etc. The key is fitted with 150mm travel 20mm axle COIL RS sektors 720mm bars etc etc and this bike rocks with the modern kit out there.....maybe that's why an idle moment found me onto an OLD thread????????????

Members who have read this thread: 0