Coil shock top out solutions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Coil shock top out solutions?

Hey guys, I know there is plenty of knowledgeable guys around this forum so maybe someone could help me out. I have recently bought bos stoy rare, I knew it isnīt using hydraulic top out like some if not most coil shocks do but I didnīt know how much itīs going to bother me. I do enjoy hitting some jumps most of the time and even though I can feel it there and also when riding chattery terrain when actually wheel spends a lot of time off the ground, but itīs mostly noticeable when just lifting the bike by hand, not too bad when actually riding but still annoying and something I would like to sort out if possible. My idea would be to use LSR adjuster to dial it out and tune rebound shim stack to suit such a setup, as it is if I dial in enough LSR ( if I open it more than 3 clicks out of 20 it becomes too evident) it makes the shock useless, you could count to 3 till it returns to extended state lol. So what do you suggest? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I looks like I might have overestimated you guys lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostbiker View Post
    I looks like I might have overestimated you guys lol.
    Sell that box stoy shock and get a shock that uses a proper hydraulic top out system. utilizing rebound to try and control top out is a poor idea. That is going to lead to compromised rebound damping (as you are experiencing) and poor performing shock.

Other then that, you can take the shock apart, and install an internal top out bumper, but that will have other effects on the shock and will likely lower it's eye to eye length.

The best solution, is a new shock.

mtbr member
    I don't see an easy way around that. A more closed adjuster and softer HSR stack will mean the usual hydraulic top-out method of closing the port won't do enough.

Fox had issues with the piggy back CTD shocks (name escapes me right now) topping out and put a shelf with top-out bumper above the damper piston into the next generation.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I don't see an easy way around that. A more closed adjuster and softer HSR stack will mean the usual hydraulic top-out method of closing the port won't do enough.

Fox had issues with the piggy back CTD shocks (name escapes me right now) topping out and put a shelf with top-out bumper above the damper piston into the next generation.
    Thanks, at least I got some answer It does have rubber top out bumper so itīs not too bad, just annoying little thing, geometron frames might be more sensitive to it with long CS pulling the shock into extension, to make thing a little more annoying if I use more rebound damping with it turns the shock into a whistle on small bumps, I knew bos shocks were always louder than average but this is ridiculous, I have previously seen change in noise with oil change, I think I will use motorex 2.5w for service, that is thinner oil compared to 17cst bos one I believe is stock in there, if itīs gonna make it better or worse, we will see. I donīt know why they havenīt used easy and proven hydraulic topout and it looks like they arenīt still using it even on latest gen shocks (syors only has it in trunion version). I was thinking of using shaft and eyelet assembly from different shock but I cannot find any in 12mm diameter, fox ones that are easy to source and fairly cheap are 1/2inch, damn fox and imperial system in general lol. Here is what it looks like anyway https://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1734320 cannot post pics directly, donīt know why.