Clicking coming from frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Clicking coming from frame

Hi,

I have a reasonably new 2018 Trance 2 - it was bought by someone else, ridden 3-4 times, then garaged while they were on FIFO work... I've put maybe 500km on it, probably less. I took it off some sweet jumps the other day and noticed a clicking coming from the frame when loaded up, it ​sound​ like it's coming from the BB but really could be coming from anywhere.

The click happens when the bike is loaded up on the take-off, so I'm standing (meaning probably not a seat thing) with all my weight on the pedals. It's loud enough that someone standing about five metres away commented on it. I can feel the click through the pedals on both sides, but I can't feel it through the bars so that suggests it's down towards the pedals (probably ruling out the headset), and the pedals are stationary so that probably rules out chainring bolts although I did have the chainring off recently so I'll double check those tonight.

Any suggestions to point me in the right direction? I had a clicking in an older bike and it took MONTHS to find it, really don't want to be taking that kind of time haha

Thanks

mtbr member
    Virtually any bearing on the bike could have a little sand wedged in the edges and cause noises. Can you just hear it, or can you feel it. So I would do a good job of cleaning around the BB bearings, the pedals, and the rear swing arm pivot. I would use some silicone spray lube and an old toothbrush, or a new toothbrush, just don't use yours. And see if that helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    It's loud enough that someone standing about five metres away commented on it. I can feel the click through the pedals on both sides, but I can't feel it through the bars.
    Feels like a mechanical movement rather than just a bit of crud Plus I'm meticulous about cleaning the bike although around the BB is an area I don't get right into... but like I said this feels like something moves then stops, rather than just a piece of sand or something scraping..

mtbr member
    Start with your shoes and pedals and work your way from there... cranks, chainring bolts, bottom bracket...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Time to disassemble.

mtbr member
    hmm, have you checked to make sure BB or swing arm don't have any play in them?