Cheaper alternative to Rockshox Maxima shock oil, a few other questions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Cheaper alternative to Rockshox Maxima shock oil, a few other questions.

So I'm doing a full overhaul of my Monarch and the 200 hour service kit didn't include the bubble pack of maxima oil. You can get a litter of it from SRAM for around $50 and it's $30 through QBP, but I've found what appears to be the same product for $17 on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-32901-...H1D904A0W66T3J

There are some minor differences in packaging, but if this is the same stuff then it'd save me a good chunk of money. Any experiences or opinions would be appreciated.

A few more questions related to doing the service:

- I have the Monarch RL, which calls for 500 psi to charge the damper, so I'll need a shock pump that can handle that. The only one I can find is the Rockshox 600psi max shock pump. Any experiences with this one, or alternative suggestions. Would a Motorcycle suspension shop be able to charge it with nitrogen at that high of a pressure?

- I don't have any of the 3wt shock damper oil that the monarch uses, but I do have some of the 2.5wt suspension oil and the 5wt fork damper oil. Are either of those viable alternatives? I'm a fairly light rider and currently use only 4 clicks of rebound, so I have room to add more clicks of rebound dampening with a lighter viscosity oil, but I'd worry about the foaming and heat dissipation properties of the 2.5wt since it's not advertised as a damper oil. I think the 5wt is just going to be too viscous to work well with the smaller shim stack in a shock damper.

- Do any of you guys have any recommendations for non-scratch o-ring picks? Ideally I'd prefer brass.

Perpetual Hack
    For finding comparable fluids you can compare specs here

Looks like anything with a cSt @ 40C of 15.9 or close will work. Based on the Wiki there looks to be quite a few in teh 15-17 range to choose from.
    Or you can blend your own from what you can find locally.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    You can use 2.5wt for dampers in nearly anything modern. Works as well, and often better.

I'm pretty sure you don't need 500psi in the ifp chamber. Someone had a quote from sram stating 250psi is sufficient. I used around 250 in my RL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullhalter View Post
    So I'm doing a full overhaul of my Monarch and the 200 hour service kit didn't include the bubble pack of maxima oil. You can get a litter of it from SRAM for around $50 and it's $30 through QBP, but I've found what appears to be the same product for $17 on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-32901-...H1D904A0W66T3J

There are some minor differences in packaging, but if this is the same stuff then it'd save me a good chunk of money. Any experiences or opinions would be appreciated.

A few more questions related to doing the service:

- I have the Monarch RL, which calls for 500 psi to charge the damper, so I'll need a shock pump that can handle that. The only one I can find is the Rockshox 600psi max shock pump. Any experiences with this one, or alternative suggestions. Would a Motorcycle suspension shop be able to charge it with nitrogen at that high of a pressure?

- I don't have any of the 3wt shock damper oil that the monarch uses, but I do have some of the 2.5wt suspension oil and the 5wt fork damper oil. Are either of those viable alternatives? I'm a fairly light rider and currently use only 4 clicks of rebound, so I have room to add more clicks of rebound dampening with a lighter viscosity oil, but I'd worry about the foaming and heat dissipation properties of the 2.5wt since it's not advertised as a damper oil. I think the 5wt is just going to be too viscous to work well with the smaller shim stack in a shock damper.

- Do any of you guys have any recommendations for non-scratch o-ring picks? Ideally I'd prefer brass.
    That's a motor oil that's about 10x thicker than the damper oil you need. You can use pretty much any 2.5wt or 3wt suspension fluid. But not what you linked.

IFP pressure keeps the shaft seal seated and stops the damper cavitating. If you don't use the lockout then you don't need as much. If you're a light rider then you don't need as much.
    The oil foams up quicker if your IFP pressure is too low. If it's way too low it'll knock on fast compression.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    May 2019
    The 15.9 cSt is the Maxima 5wt and it has a pretty low VI, so it probably won't provide very consistent damping in a shock. the Monarch calls for the Rockshox 3wt. I found out that it has a cSt @40C of 14.0, so it's probably just a rebrand of the Maxima shock fluid 3wt. Looks like the Silkolene 2.5 is pretty similar and has a much higher viscosity index. so I'll see if I can get either the Maxima 3wt or the Silkolene 2.5 at a local motorcycle shop.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Awesome, I just didn't want to risk cavitation by running too low a pressure. My shock pump goes up to 300psi, so I'll go with that.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    The Maxima 15wt50 is for air can lubrication, not as a damper fluid. Sram sells this:

https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/ss-oil-15w5-a1