Can't get full travel on my Reba- Mtbr.com
    Upgrade Addict

Can't get full travel on my Reba

I seem on only be getting about 85mm of travel out of my Reba per my scientific zip tie and a ruler calculations. Am I missing something? I run at the low end of the pressure recommendation on the fork leg. I have the Reba SL and it is set at 100mm. This is not the U-turn variety. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    have you set up fro around 20% sag?
    what is your weight and what are your pressures (positive and negative)? What type of riding?
    Also, if you are running alot of compression damping that might limit travel.
    Are you sure the fork is set up at 100mm and not 85mm?
    At 85mm you should have 4 spacers left over. At 100 you would have 2. At 115 you would have none (they would all be installed).

Upgrade Addict

hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by kirbster1966
    have you set up fro around 20% sag?
    what is your weight and what are your pressures (positive and negative)? What type of riding?
    Also, if you are running alot of compression damping that might limit travel.
    Are you sure the fork is set up at 100mm and not 85mm?
    At 85mm you should have 4 spacers left over. At 100 you would have 2. At 115 you would have none (they would all be installed).
    I need to go count the spacers in the box at home but I am starting to wonder if this thing came to me set up for 85 and not 100mm. It appears by the service manual that you ADD spacers to reduce travel, though. FWIW I am 180lbs and ride XC. The fork is on a Turner Burner. I have monkey'd with the compression to make sure that is not the problem. My money is now on the fact that the fork is set up for 85mm.

Another curious thing to me now is that if the spacers are at the top of the fork, does changing the travel impact the geometry at all? It would seem not, to me. If adding spacers reduces travel by simply limitingt the compression of the fork then the geometry would not change with the various settings. If so, I may just move to 115.

mtbr member
    oops, after looking closer at the manual, you are correct. Adding spacers decreases travel. Mine came set at 100 so i have two spacers left over.
    I would have to assume that going to longer travel will change the overall height of the fork and thus change your geometry.

Upgrade Addict

I found 2 spacers

Quote Originally Posted by johnmre
    I need to go count the spacers in the box at home but I am starting to wonder if this thing came to me set up for 85 and not 100mm. It appears by the service manual that you ADD spacers to reduce travel, though. FWIW I am 180lbs and ride XC. The fork is on a Turner Burner. I have monkey'd with the compression to make sure that is not the problem. My money is now on the fact that the fork is set up for 85mm.

Another curious thing to me now is that if the spacers are at the top of the fork, does changing the travel impact the geometry at all? It would seem not, to me. If adding spacers reduces travel by simply limitingt the compression of the fork then the geometry would not change with the various settings. If so, I may just move to 115.
    So I am guessing that the thing is set up at 100mm like it is supposed to be. I'm stumped now.

mtbr member
    you did not tell us what pressures you sre running in the positive and negative chambers. If you measure the amount of stanchion visible i will measure mine to compare.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Push your ziptie down and then release all the air out of your fork (let all the air out of the negative side first). Lean hard on your fork to make sure it is bottomed out. Now pump it up and measure that ziptie again. (maybe even post the measurement to the crown to compare)

Upgrade Addict

Update from today's ride

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Push your ziptie down and then release all the air out of your fork (let all the air out of the negative side first). Lean hard on your fork to make sure it is bottomed out. Now pump it up and measure that ziptie again. (maybe even post the measurement to the crown to compare)
    I did the pressure release test and then aired the shock back up. 100mm on the nose. So I set the pressure per the recommendations on the fork leg. I am 180 lbs and I put 130 in the positive and 140 in the negative and went for a ride. I had been running lower pressures but I figured I would work with Rock Shox recommendations for this test. I rode for about 45 mintues. Nothing too crazy but a couple of small drops, log piles, rock gardens, etc. I measured the travel back at the car and it was right at 80mm. I actually loved the ride with those pressures and didn't miss the 20mm of travel but I would think I would hit 100mm at least once or twice during the ride. Any ideas?

Edit - It is about 111mm to the crown but the zip tie was moved to EXACTLY 100mm of travel when I dropped all the pressure and pushed down. And... I rode with no compression damping added.

ballbuster

Could be...

I seem on only be getting about 85mm of travel out of my Reba per my scientific zip tie and a ruler calculations. Am I missing something? I run at the low end of the pressure recommendation on the fork leg. I have the Reba SL and it is set at 100mm. This is not the U-turn variety. Any suggestions?
    I hear that a lot of fork manufacturers exaggerate their numbers a bit. I have the same fork ('05 Reba Race, poplock and no u-turn) and I don't think I have ever bottomed it out. The pressures printed on my fork are on the high side, and I found I need to run just below the lowest number. THat works for me, but I'm nearly 200# and ride mostly XC stuff, sometimes some hairy steeps, techy low-speed downs and rocks, but no drops bigger than a foot or so. I have not measured the 100mm of travel, but it feels like I have at least that.

You install the spacers to reduce travel. It is a PITA as well, not to mention the oil change involved when you drop the lowers. I got mine set to 100mm to go with my 90mm of rear travel.

Gotta say, I love this fork.

mtbr member
    I am 240 with gear and only run 125-130 /125-130 and i am not bottoming it out at all. so 130/140 seems high for you. Also i dont know about running the negative higher than the positive , i would think that might reduce your ride height a bit.

Meh.
    Air forks have a progressive spring rate. The spring rate ramps up towards the end of the stroke. This effectively prevents bottoming.

Upgrade Addict

So...

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Air forks have a progressive spring rate. The spring rate ramps up towards the end of the stroke. This effectively prevents bottoming.
    Should I translate that to mean that unless I run much lower pressures, I probably wont get more travel than I have now? If so, should I lower the + and - equally? Maybe a little bit at a time until I get maybe 90ish?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

same exact issue

Funny, I'm having the same exact issue with my Reba SL dual air. I can't get the fork to bottom out on anything, regardless of how low I run the positive air pressure. I weigh around 185 with all my gear on, and I'm running around 90/90 (pos/neg) pressures right now. At that setting, I'm lucky to get 85-90mm of travel. I do believe that my fork is set for 100mm of travel, since I have 2 spacers left over.

As for forks not getting the stated travel, I think that's true. I've owned 4 forks that never got the full travel as stated by the manufacturer - an '01 Zoke Z.2 Atom 80 (never got more than 75mm of travel), an '01 Duke Race 80 (never got more than 70mm of travel), an '04 Zoke MX Comp 85 (never got more than 75-80mm of travel) and a Float 100 (never got more than 85mm of travel). In fact, the only forks I've owned which ever got the full stated travel are/were an '05 Skareb Super 80 and an '04 TALAS.

Members who have read this thread: 0