Cannondale headshok problem...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Cannondale headshok problem...

I recently purchased a complete cannondale bike used from this person who had stripped all the paint off the aluminum frame. I have no idea what the year is, but I'm pretty sure its an F series model from around the year 2000. Its got a single fatty headshok on the fork and is a hardtail bike. the headshock (when not in lockout mode) just sinks down all the way and doesnt come back up. this is probably a simple fix for someone that knows about these types of systems, and I'm just simply wondering if its easy enough that I can order the parts from somewhere and install them myself, or should I take it to a local shop and have them work on it, and how much would that kind of work generally run money wise?
    thanks!

mtbr member
    uh, the only way it'll do that is if theres no spring in it

and if its an air fork, you might want to add sme air into it.

but if its a coil fork, then you might need a new coil, the old one might be fatigued and all dead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    during some research earlier I only discovered there were in fact air shocks on most of the monotube shock forks, so I just got home, and I can feel the valve under there.... I'm gonna pump it up and see what happens. thanks

Jul 2006
    did it hold air?

my DD50 doesn't anymore.

and i prefer to live in the past and get it fixed since i LOVE my F1000.
    it may not be fixable...LBS has been waiting WEEEKS for the stupid tool from cannondale...

just curious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I pumped mine up with an air shock pump I bought at the local bike store.
    its holding so far

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by brandwashed.com
    did it hold air?

my DD50 doesn't anymore.

and i prefer to live in the past and get it fixed since i LOVE my F1000.
    it may not be fixable...LBS has been waiting WEEEKS for the stupid tool from cannondale...

just curious.
    Just curious: did you go to a LBS that sells Cannondales? I'm asking because they usually have the tools already, it's not like it was a new fork. If they don't have the tools, chances are they haven't work on Headshoks before, I would rather take the fork to a LBS that actually knows about Cannondales, that doesn't wait weeeks for the tools... It shouldn't take that long.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Jul 2006
    yup...bona fide cannondale dealer.

the tool was apparently lost.
    they basically couldn't find it.

funny thing, a non-cannondale dealer suggested i try western mass.

still waiting on it to be fixed...

Jul 2006
    I bought my '97 SuperV new and the headshok really sucked. It worked well if you kept so dry as to not even ride through a puddle. It gets wet inside the bearings and rusts them all to sh!t if you even look at water. If anything goes wrong with it again, get the reducer and buy a different fork. Cannondale was great about replacing the fork, but the thing just didn't perform. They may have worked it out in later models, but I don't trust it.

TNC
    noMAD man

Headshock & Problem=synonymous

Quote Originally Posted by cwa11is
    I bought my '97 SuperV new and the headshok really sucked. It worked well if you kept so dry as to not even ride through a puddle. It gets wet inside the bearings and rusts them all to sh!t if you even look at water. If anything goes wrong with it again, get the reducer and buy a different fork. Cannondale was great about replacing the fork, but the thing just didn't perform. They may have worked it out in later models, but I don't trust it.
    We used to be a C'dale dealer, and this was a frequent problem on many Headshock models. The concept was a great idea, but the final execution was too complicated, required too many special tools and knowledge to service, and needed that service way too frequently. People who had them were usually always happier when they ditched them and put a regular fork on the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0