Cane Creek OPT remote.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cane Creek OPT remote.

Anyone know the the status or availability for this remote?

Erik

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Universal Cycles has them in stock, or at least they did on Tuesday night (I had a notification turned on for when they were). I ordered mine and it should be here tomorrow! I really do use that switch a lot. I will post back a report after I get it mounted.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Proudly Plus-Sized
    So I got mine last week and installed. Pretty easy, I was able to accomplish it without removing the shock from my frame by pivoting it in my work stand.

It works well and does what it is supposed to do, and while I used it a bunch when it was a switch I use it a ton now that it's right at my thumb. If your shock is tuned properly for your riding (using the complete CC field guide), the CS really does make a difference and work as advertised.

The only gripe I have is the cable exit from the remote, it makes a large loop because it goes out straight and has to naturally curve 180 back to the frame. It's ugly, but that's all I got from a complaint standpoint.

Here are a few pics ~ any questions let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A noodle would solve the loop issue

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    A noodle would solve the loop issue
    Agreed, and I would think they should have anticipated that and included one...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm thinking of modifying the Opt to work with my 11-6 shock. The challenge is that it's climb switch is very stiff unlike the Inline. I'll find a way to add a spring between a stop and the shocks lever but then I'm not sure the Opt lever has enough friction to hold in place against the pull of the spring. Can anyone help?

On the other hand this thing came out today so all our bikes are irrelevant!
    https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/04/12...e+Rumor+RSS%29
    2 wheels

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    So I got mine last week and installed. Pretty easy, I was able to accomplish it without removing the shock from my frame by pivoting it in my work stand.

It works well and does what it is supposed to do, and while I used it a bunch when it was a switch I use it a ton now that it's right at my thumb. If your shock is tuned properly for your riding (using the complete CC field guide), the CS really does make a difference and work as advertised.

The only gripe I have is the cable exit from the remote, it makes a large loop because it goes out straight and has to naturally curve 180 back to the frame. It's ugly, but that's all I got from a complaint standpoint.

Here are a few pics ~ any questions let me know.

Is this on a 5010? What kind of tune are you running on the shock?

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    Is this on a 5010? What kind of tune are you running on the shock?
    Yes, it's on a 5010. Do you mean what are my settings? They only come in one tune, all adjustments are made from the standard baseline.

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Yes, it's on a 5010. Do you mean what are my settings? They only come in one tune, all adjustments are made from the standard baseline.

That's what I meant, what are your custom settings. I've got one on my 5010 at the moment and am seriously considering the OPT remote, and whether it's worth it to me or not.

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    That's what I meant, what are your custom settings. I've got one on my 5010 at the moment and am seriously considering the OPT remote, and whether it's worth it to me or not.
    I'll have to look up my changes, it's not much off the base tune. An extra click of LSR, backed off a click of HSC I believe. It's pretty good with just a couple minor tweaks.

Last edited by blaklabl; 05-01-2017 at 03:06 PM. Reason: no longer have it

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I have the OPT remote, works flawlessly. Pretty easy to install.

The loop of the cable easily solved turning the remote upside down, cable exit facing downwards. More ergonomic in my opinion.

mtbr member
    If you ever have to replace the cable, use a brake cable not a rear derailleur one. Will prevent it bending at the slider remote part.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Sorry to bump this old thread to ask a really dumb question. could this OPT lever be modified so that another cable is added to the other end to allow for using a push to unlock fork with a push to lock shock?

My thought was as the lever was pulling the shock cable on a Manitou Mcleod to lock it out, the cable out the other end to the rockshox sid would be moving towards the Sid and allow it to lock out. Manitou cable travel from open to locked is 18mm. Haven't been able to figure out the travel on the Sid yet. I'd have to do my best to balance the lockout point of the fork with the shock and maybe have to give up some of the shock open or close (4 "positions" on shock, so go 1-3 or 2-4). I'd have to hope between the competing springs on the fork and shock and friction in the remote that it would stay in place.