Can you identify this Rock Shox?- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

Can you identify this Rock Shox?

I'm trying to replace the seals in a friends fork. It's a Judy XC from 1999 or 2000 I think. Enduro suggested I check here before I place my order. Thanks.

mtbr member
    99, cuz i've got an '00 and its a diff color scheme, i think
    but the xc's are pretty much the same between the two years
    99 was the first year for hydrocoil, and the death of fork boots

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yup those are...

99 Judy XC lowers. I had a set that lasted a long time. They were the first open bath RS offerings. Not bad for duratility except for the bushings, other than that they were okay. But the 99's STILL used fork boots. Most of the 00's did not. The 99 forks DID NOT use the XXX seals, which made the use of fork boots a good idea. 00 forks came with the XXX's and those were good enough to keep the crud out. The one thing that sucked about the 99's is they could not be upgraded to the XXX. Not enough room. I know, I had a 00 Judy Race with the XXX's and got some bought some Enduro seals for it. Decided I'd try the XXX's in the 99 XC, which had been transfered to my wifes bike. It was a no go. Anyway, it's deffinately a 99 and the XXX thing is the reason you need to know.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

AKA shitbird
    Yep looks like the 99. I had a set of Judy XC's (2000 I think) that were put through hell and still worked great before I replaced them for Fox. Great fork for the money though.

I noticed on your monitor the Autocad drawings. It seems like 90% of the people I meet in the field are into biking, just an observation I find interesting.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    99 Judy XC lowers. I had a set that lasted a long time. They were the first open bath RS offerings. Not bad for duratility except for the bushings, other than that they were okay. But the 99's STILL used fork boots. Most of the 00's did not. The 99 forks DID NOT use the XXX seals, which made the use of fork boots a good idea. 00 forks came with the XXX's and those were good enough to keep the crud out. The one thing that sucked about the 99's is they could not be upgraded to the XXX. Not enough room. I know, I had a 00 Judy Race with the XXX's and got some bought some Enduro seals for it. Decided I'd try the XXX's in the 99 XC, which had been transfered to my wifes bike. It was a no go. Anyway, it's deffinately a 99 and the XXX thing is the reason you need to know.

Good Dirt
    Thanks, Squash. This is the relevant point for Nick. The 99s do not have a deep enough bore depth to receive our inner oil seal plus wiper. In 2000 the bore depth increased and our kits work well in 2000-2002 Judys. Nick, since you already have the lowers off, you can measure the seal head bore depth to be sure.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur
    in 2000-2002 Judys. Nick, since you already have the lowers off, you can measure the seal head bore depth to be sure.
    thanks for all of the info. i will measure it. so you are saying i may be out of luck as the 2000-02s may not fit? if so, that blows. another reason i hate RS. i better measure it before i go off. i spent my tour of duty working at the LBS. didn't there used to be a company called BTI or something like that? they sold odds and end shock parts. don't get me wrong, i'm placing my order at enduro seals. i was trying to think of where we used to get our stuff after rock shox quit producing parts(about a year later. ok, maybe a little longer).

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by nick novice
    thanks for all of the info. i will measure it. so you are saying i may be out of luck as the 2000-02s may not fit? if so, that blows. another reason i hate RS. i better measure it before i go off. i spent my tour of duty working at the LBS. didn't there used to be a company called BTI or something like that? they sold odds and end shock parts. don't get me wrong, i'm placing my order at enduro seals. i was trying to think of where we used to get our stuff after rock shox quit producing parts(about a year later. ok, maybe a little longer).
    There are many places that carry RS parts, but pre- XXX seals are going to be hard to find anywhere. If send your fork in to Hippietech suspension, they will have seals for it, but even their supply is limited and they DO NOT sell parts (you would have to get your fork serviced--which you may want to consider). If you don't have any luck, you can send the lowers to me and I'll see if I can come up with something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

new seals fit

Any current seal fits, it is a bear to install though (the new ones fit tighter than the XXX day seals). Other posters are correct in saying the oil seal will not fit. The "XXX" was basically just an added oil seal, there's nothing magic there. For forks that used boots the seal typically wasn't pressed in all the way, the "gap" left at the outer edge is what the boot hooked to. Boots just trap dirt and water, you don't need them with any current seal.

Members who have read this thread: 0