Can I Extend Fox 34 Step Cast 120mm to 130mm?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Can I Extend Fox 34 Step Cast 120mm to 130mm?

The Intense Sniper Trail Build comes with a Fox 34 Step Cast Float front shock 120mm. I read on the Fox website that it has 2 air spacers. It says that if your sag is set correctly and you are using all your travel you can add a spacer to regulate it from bottoming out. Or if your sag is set correctly and you are NOT using all your travel then you can remove a spacer. I was thinking the spacers related to the amount of travel. I was wondering if there is a way to change the travel of the shock from 120mm to 130mm. Is that possible? I thought the spacers had something to do with it, but I'm a little confused.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Still no.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Spacers you're referring to are air volume spacers that reduce the air volume in air chamber by making it smaller. Reducing air volume in air chamber doesn't physically increase travel since the air chamber is already longer than the travel of the fork. However, if sag (related to air pressure) and the force applied to the fork (related to the aggressiveness of riding) are the same, then the smaller air chamber results in less travel used due to added progressiveness from smaller air chamber size. Air is gas and gas doesn't compress linearly but the force required to compress increases exponentially the more you try to compress it.

That being said, some forks also have travel adjust spacers in the air spring but generally I believe it's less common for a fox fork to have such installed in stock installation. To be sure, you could check from the fox service manual. Just need to input the four-digit tune code or serial number found from your fork in the fox service page for instructions.
    Last edited by ErnoNykanen; 09-19-2019 at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member
    It is 100% certain that you can not go to 130 in a step cast. I looked into it before buying a 130 34.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    It is 100% certain that you can not go to 130 in a step cast. I looked into it before buying a 130 34.
    I would take your word on it. I was just trying to offer a bit more in-depth explanation as OP was confused about the spacers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Still no.
    So...there's a chance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    So...there's a chance?
    Maybe
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnoNykanen View Post
    Spacers you're referring to are air volume spacers that reduce the air volume in air chamber by making it smaller. Reducing air volume in air chamber doesn't physically increase travel since the air chamber is already longer than the travel of the fork. However, if sag (related to air pressure) and the force applied to the fork (related to the aggressiveness of riding) are the same, then the smaller air chamber results in less travel used due to added progressiveness from smaller air chamber size. Air is gas and gas doesn't compress linearly but the for required to compress increases exponentially the more you try to compress it.

That being said, some forks also have travel adjust spacers in the air spring but generally I believe it's less common for a fox fork to have such installed in stock installation. To be sure, you could check from the fox service manual. Just need to input the four-digit tune code or serial number found from your fork in the fox service page for instructions.
    Thank you. That helps explain the air spacers. I guess Iíll be riding 120 for awhile. Very helpful.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    So...there's a chance?
    Sure, all you have to do is get the 130mm air shaft, swap out the CSU assembly, swap out the lowers, and swap out the damper. Voila! Your 34 SC is now a 130mm fork!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    Sure, all you have to do is get the 130mm air shaft, swap out the CSU assembly, swap out the lowers, and swap out the damper. Voila! Your 34 SC is now a Fox 34 130mm fork!
    Fixed it for ya
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)