Can anyone help me with a steerer measurement?- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

Can anyone help me with a steerer measurement?

this may sound crazy, but i need to know the ID of a 1" aluminum steerer. i'm going to turn one out of 6061 T6 alu for a 1-1/8" crown. i have to do things the hard way(cheap way).

All 26.5" all the time!
    Just about all aluminum steerers are made of 7075-T6. If you're using the weaker 6061-T6, you'd better backyard-engineer a huge fudge factor into your project. I'd go with a .500 I.D. (.250 wall thickness) just as a precaution.... or hell, just make it solid and drill/tap the top for a M6x1 thread for headset preload.

Nov 2005
    thanks for the response. i'm going to the supply house at lunch. i'll check on the 7075 T6. as opposed to a solid steerer, i could make it out of 4130. but with my light weight, i doubt i would ever mangle a 6061 steerer. i need to get a 1" starnut for an alu steerer. those little bitty dogs. i haven't run across one in a while. i better check qbp.com as a start. i thought about machine and welding up a head tube for a 1-1/8" steerer. but i would have to fab a jig and that's more work than i want to put into this project. it's a 1988 raleigh mtb/trials bike. fun as hell to ride though. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    Just about all aluminum steerers are made of 7075-T6. If you're using the weaker 6061-T6, you'd better backyard-engineer a huge fudge factor into your project. I'd go with a .500 I.D. (.250 wall thickness) just as a precaution.... or hell, just make it solid and drill/tap the top for a M6x1 thread for headset preload.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Why even bother with a star nut? If you're going through the trouble of machining a part from a solid rod, just don't bore the top 2" of the part. You can drill and tap the solid top of the tube for the headset preload bolt. As an added bonus, the near solid section will provide a nice, crush-proof mount for the stem.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    Why even bother with a star nut? If you're going through the trouble of machining a part from a solid rod, just don't bore the top 2" of the part.
    holy poop! i wasn't planning on using solid stock. i bought a 1.125" OD with a .750" ID 6061-T6 x12" for $5.00. now i need to press the steerer out of the crown and start "makin' chips."

Members who have read this thread: 0