Calling TALAS gurus!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Calling TALAS gurus!

Encouraged by positive experiences reported here and how simple everything looked in the Fox video on doing a TALAS service (http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...vice_video.htm), I decided to tackle this job myself. But I discovered that my TALAS II is different from the one in the video. I had to substitute the Fox instructions for a full service overhaul (http://service.foxracingshox.com/con.../TALAS_RLC.htm), which were a lot more complicated than I wanted!

Things went fine until I got to reassembling the TALAS system. I think I got everything together correctly, but the whole travel adjust procedure didn't work for me. I don't have a TALAS I adjust knob I can use (as Fox recommends), and I'm not sure I'm doing the "full in" and "half out" procedure correctly. (When I move the system, I'm moving the whole "TALAS ll Topcap Assembly" a half-turn, which corkscrews into the upper tube.) In any case, when I follow the instructions the lower shaft is supposed to "jump" to different lengths to correspond to the different TALAS positions. But the shaft doesn't move at all for me as I move the assembly.

Any ideas what I've done wrong? Or more importantly, what I need to do to get this system working? I suppose I can release all the air and take the pieces out again, then reinstall. But since I don't know why it doesn't work now, I'm not sure what that would accomplish. Otherwise it looks like maybe I have a fixed travel fork now!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

It fixed itself

All I could figure to do was go through the assembly steps again, so I released all the air from the main chamber, removed the top assembly to make sure it was installed correctly, and went through the whole "turn in/turn out" procedure again. It didn't work at first, but eventually the lower leg shaft did "jump" like it is supposed to. I'm not sure why it didn't work at first and then it did, but all is back together and it's ready to ride!