Broken Valve Stem- Mtbr.com
    Oh no you di'int
    May 2009

Broken Valve Stem

Riding down one of my favorite trails tonight i bumped my shock valve stem with my knee while pedaling and it sheared right off, valve stem threads still in the shock. I'm sure it had been weakened by my repeated yardsales down the hill over the past year.

I'm headed to Crested Butte with my girlfriend for our one year anniversary this weekend so I need to get this fixed ASAP. Is this a part I can get from a tire store? Is this a part a bikeshop might have on hand? Do I have to special order this part? Is there something i can use to hold me over if thats the case?

Help me please!

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    I called Manitou and they're throwing one in the mail for me. I hope I get it in time! Anyone have an idea for a gerry rig solution if I don't?

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Well the local shop, The Gear Exchange here in Glenwood Springs has come through for me once again. They pulled a valve stem off another shock for me to use while I wait for the replacement to be sent in the mail. I'll be dropping off some beer after work :-D

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am currently dealing with the same issue on my Rockshox Ario RLR. How did you get the rest of the valve stem out of the shock?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/AD..._spc_rev_c.pdf

page 73 part 11

valvecore out ? no hex profile left inside the valvestem to unscrew ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This would probably work at slow speed. At least, it's what I would try first.
    3 pc. Screw-OutŪ Damaged Screw Remover Set- Craftsman-Tools-Auto & Mechanics Tools-Taps & Dies

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Yeah the shop had a set of easy outs similar to what bad mechanics posted. Worked like a charm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm hesitant to try an easy- out on my shock. It's a tool which functions best under high friction and high torque, neither of which sound to good for the air can. I'll check for the hex profile though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Use a bit which is smaller than the valve threads, and just take it slow. Aluminum is soft and the bit should have no problem grabbing it, and a valve isn't tightened down hard.

Members who have read this thread: 0