Broken forks (i.e. cracked or structural failure)??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Broken forks (i.e. cracked or structural failure)??

Wondering if people here have actually broken a fork while riding?

I don't mean they don't perform as they should, I mean actually snapped/cracked or caused a structural fork failure.

Looking for a new fork for my new bike and was wondering if I should bump up to a Fox 36 or Lyrik from my 09 Revelation (which is actually a slightly lighter Pike) or go with the new 150mm Revelation and save some weight (a pound or more). For the record, I'm not interested in the 15mm axle option on the 32 series Fox Forx.

I don't really care about the additional stiffness (the 20mm axle on my current fork is stiff enough).

The new Revelation has only 1/2" less travel than the bigger forks but has the smaller diameter sliders.

I currently only hit drops less than four feet but am slowly getting more aggressive--would one of these bigger forks be safer??

If possible, please post a picture of the broken fork.

I dig trails!
    Within a reasonable range, it is less about structural integrity and more about what the fork is designed for.

Meaning, the dampers on smaller forks are not designed or tuned for high velocity events (high speed compression), like a big drop, smaller forks are designed to be compliant at speed rather than supportive on big events.

Flex is a significant confidence factor as well.

So with the Revelation, a specific drop might feel on the edge, but with a FR fork, that same drop might feel like butter (and load you up with confidence for bigger stuff).

P

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Friend bent Fox 40's right stanchion

mtbr member
    Dam!
    How did your mate bend that 40?

Oct 2005
    It's not that hard on a Fox. They push the weight savings so far and everything is THINwall.

local trails rider
    Not actually broken, but fork came apart due to a series of mistakes (and the guy is an engineer...)
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=424594

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, I've twisted a Boxxer it's entire length. The lowers were bent, the stanchions were bent, and both crowns were bent. The only thing salvageable was the axle.

It would be pretty hard to have a catastrophic failure in a modern fork unless it was being used well outside it's intended usage.

Walmart Bike Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Not actually broken, but fork came apart due to a series of mistakes (and the guy is an engineer...)
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=424594
    damn that guy busted his teeth out and broke his jaw when that fork fell apart, that must have sucked! i would have rather broken an arm or a leg then have my teeth and jaw busted
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggler2
    There is only one Bike Forum standard... quality is directly proportional to money spent.

Members who have read this thread: 1