Brake Squat & low speed compression- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brake Squat & low speed compression

Does low speed compression reduce the effects of brake squat on single pivots?

mtbr member
    Yes, a little bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you talking for the rear suspension?

mtbr member
    yes

mtbr member
    Not really. The problem is the squat countering suspension motion (the suspension wants to extend, the squat prevents most of that) and the negative effect that has on suspension performance. There's not enough motion for low speed damping to work on.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    There's not enough motion for low speed damping to work on.
    Good point.

I don't think LSC has much to do with brake squat.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info guys, just switched from a VPP to single pivot & the brake squat is something to get used to. How would low or hight speed rebound play into this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What Dougal said.

I have two rather low travel bikes, one single pivot and one Horst link/fsr. It's quite significant how the suspension of the single pivot roughens up when the rear brake is applied, but I can not really feel any geometry changes (as in a real squat), it is just the _action_ that gets affected. I don't think damping adjustments will matter very much (unless possible on a super long travel bike). Rather it's a matter of finding a good way of using front and rear brakes respectively. I often bike a trail where there is little really hard braking, but many many situation where you need to do a slight speed check before section. On both my bikes, but even more so on the single pivot, it only very lightly tough the rear brake and do the braking with my front. This is something I think you adjust to automatically, since you get very clearly reminded by a bouncing and skidding rear on the single pivot bike when you apply a bit too much rear brake. The other day I lost most of my front wheel braking because of a brake lever issue, and even on a trail like this with few hard braking situations, it's astonishing how much your riding gets affected.

So basically.... get used to it. In some sense you can say that it actually fosters you towards a better braking technique.

www.derbyrims.com
    I never notice any difference braking with any trademark VPP compared to a single pivot. Both stiffen up more than MOST (but not all) horst links and DWL's.

Adjust your damping by feel, trial and error. Find a balance for your conditions. Usually rebound is adjusted to be near the center of adjuster range, and compression near the softer end for slower ride speeds and more firm for faster ride speeds.

Try asking in the Downhill forum. There are some very good suspension tuners posting there.