Brake shudder is back- Mtbr.com
    b a n n e d

Brake shudder is back

I recently swapped new pads that have a lot more bite to them and since doing so, my fork is shuddering a lot more when braking hard. I'm running a 2010 Fox Float 150mm FIT RLC, which isn't exactly known for being the most rigid fork in the world. Is there anything I can do?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

J:
    If you need stronger 32mm chassis get Rock shox, or maybe lower a Lyrik, or a 36 float

Used to have one those 32mm Fox, thought it was a POS. It was a Van, the 32mm Rock shox was night and day difference
    video=youtube;][/video]...

aka dan51
    Check to see if the pads are making marks on the spider arms of the rotor.
    I had a similar problem years ago, and it was due to the pad contact being bigger than the rotor surface. So whenever any of the rotor arms passed the pads there was instantly a bit more braking surface, causing more stopping power. As the arm passes the pads, braking force diminishes. Get that process going over and over and you'll get a shudder feeling. I only ever noticed it under hard braking. The fix was some cheap rotors with a larger contact area. You could also try shimming the caliper farther from the rotor, so it doesn't have contact with the rotor arms.

J:
    ^^ could be part of it, had that problem mixing and matching rotors

Maybe the 32 Fox has changed over the years, may be stiffer now I don't know. You can check

Hold your bike up on back tire, spin the front wheel quick and lock the brake.. I remember that 32mm van rlc bounced around bad. I actually tried to get rid of the flex by lowering to 130mm then 120mm. Didn't help at all, thing seemed to be designed for someone of Ewok stature
    video=youtube;][/video]...

b a n n e d
    I think the 32's are just flexy forks. Great idea on the rotors, but thats not it (I double checked).

What I really want is a 140mm fork with 36mm stanchions . . . I don't think such a thing exists though. The closest would be a Float FIT RLC lowered from 160 down to 140.

I haven't looked too closely at Rockshox though . . . maybe I should.

mtbr member
    If you didn't change anything else (including alignment..) and just put different pads on, then maybe they aren't done wearing in or maybe they need a very light sanding (just put sandpaper on table, rub the friction side of the pad a little bit in random directions to rough them up a tad).

My Fox Float 180 might be a little bit stiffer, but never had that issue before!
    "It looks flexy"

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    If you didn't change anything else (including alignment..) and just put different pads on, then maybe they aren't done wearing in or maybe they need a very light sanding (just put sandpaper on table, rub the friction side of the pad a little bit in random directions to rough them up a tad).

My Fox Float 180 might be a little bit stiffer, but never had that issue before!
    That is a real possibility actually . . . I've only got about 50 miles on the new pads, and they are sintered so its going to take a bit longer. I did have to realign the calipers for the new wheels, but they are bang-on centered as are the piston's for sure. Spark plug feeler gauges FTW.

I'll give it a few more runs before I start complaining again

Members who have read this thread: 0