Bluto - Lower Legs Pinned- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Bluto - Lower Legs Pinned

I installed the cold weather seals on my bluto last week. I rode it a 3 time since i installed them and all was well...until i noticed that I forgot to put the wavy washer on the air spring assembly.

I took off the lower legs, removed the air spring and put the wavy washer back in. I put the shock back together and pumped it up and it seemed to pin the lower legs further than i would expect them to go...so i take a look and I forgot to put back the rebound adjuster.

Next I remove the air, put the rebound adjuster back in and pump it up. The Lower legs still fully extend and i think they shouldn't. If I compress them, they return and knock against the end as it returns to bottom position.

Any ideas what I have done? I suspect I need to remove the lower legs again - possibly i allowed the rebound damper to get "stuck" or something? Any ideas? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sounds like the air negative chamber isn't working. I don't know exactly what method the Bluto uses to set negative pressure (there are several types RS use in other forks) so it's a bit hard to help furthur.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hmm. I guess that chamber is right below the air spring. I was thinking the issue was the rebound damping side because i for got the rebound aduster pin. I'll pull it all apart and put it back 2gether and see how that works.

mtbr member
    Negative air is trapped between the piston and stanchion end cap.

Some have a reset via lifting the piston off it's seat. Some via a notch in the leg.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Where would that be? Right leg (left sitting on bike) just above the piston? Seems to me just above the piston is where the compressed air goes (shraeder valve is just above piston).
    Bluto - Lower Legs Pinned-bluto.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just to close the loop on this...I suspect that I didn't correctly re-install the snap-ring washer that hold the air spring in place. The air spring was travelling past the threshold where it it supposed to stop. Took it apart and put it back together and all is well.